The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 1, 2005, 08:14 AM   #1
willsjeep

Lead catcher targets?

On occasion I have seen small target holders designed to catch fired bullets but they have been small and only rated for 22 caliber.
I am interested in buying or building a larger taget holder that I can use to capture the lead from larger, more powerful rounds. Namely 38/357, 45 ACP and 44 mag.
I would like to have a area at least 3 feet square to mount targets and fire into.
Anyone know of something like this or have pictures of one?
I have a general idea of what I want and can cut, weld so construction is not a problem.
What i am not sure of is thickness of metal and angles of the back and sides to prevent a richochet back out of the catch area.
I have a good area to shoot, but as much as I shoot and the fact that my twoo brothers, my Dad and a few others shoot in the same area and have for several years has got me to thinking about the lead wasted/built up.
PS I reload so the recovered lead could be recycled.
Will
Old June 1, 2005, 08:54 AM   #2
mete

My backstop is a piece of scrap . It should be 2-3' square, preferably 1/2" thick. It should be angled at 45 degrees so the bullets hit and are deflected down.Add pieces of angle to the sides since most of the bullets will shatter at 25 yds and splatter to the sides and down. The 44s tend to move the backstop to the rear so anchor it.