The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 9, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1
breakingcontact

AK prices

What is going on with AK prices? AR prices have come way down overall. AK prices seem to be up. I mean, you can buy a nice AR or an M1A for the price of a nice AK now.
Old May 15, 2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Ozzieman

I don’t know where you’re looking but if you go to some place like Gunbroker.com AK’s are going for half the price of an M1A or less, much less.
As far as they being the same as an AR, well it’s that time where stupid people will pay that much for a 395$ gun several years ago and gunbroker has ones listed for 600.
Now if you can get an AR or M1A for 600, buy every M1A you can find. You can make a thousand on each.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Justice06RR

AK's are way overpriced right now--bad time to buy. I would wait a little longer to see if they come down in a few months.

WASR 10's are selling for $800-1000 right now when those are normally $450 AK's.
Old May 18, 2013, 01:07 PM   #4
EdInk

Supply and demand. AR production is starting to catch up but AKs (especially high end models like Arsenal) are still back logged a bit.
Old May 19, 2013, 05:45 PM   #5
tobnpr

I agree...wait until they come down in price, or don't buy one...they're not worth it.

It would tend to justify a higher price these days if the ammo were still cheap ($5 box) and plentiful- but it's not...so the rifle has no added value in that regard.

Especially these days, market value has to take into consideration availability and expense of ammunition.

It hasn't gone unnoticed by me that in light of the rapid rise in values of most milsurps, the ones that haven't increased in value (read- no increase in demand) are those for which ammunition is no longer available or scarce and expensive.

Take the Mosin-Nagant...from $70-$80 to $125 or more- because ammo is still "relatively" cheap. However, since 8mm Mauser has all but dried up, there's been very little increase in the values of the more common M24/47's, M48's, etc. that are still in the $200-$250 range.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 19, 2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Jo6pak

I've actually been mulling the idea of buying an AK74 variant. Seems like 5.45x39mm ammo has sidestepped the panic. I still see quite a bit of it around for reasonable prices.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
buffalo

Not the time to buy AK's,i'm a AK47 nut but the prices now are crazy in my opinion. I build all my own and havent bought one in 7 years but keep up on the going prices and wouldnt advise anyone to pay what people are asking right now,they are great rifles but Wasr's going for $800 is insane.