The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2010, 11:15 PM   #1
colospgsAVID

HSM custom bullets-100 grain round nose flat point. ".356

I have read on this forum that HSM does not provide any load data. My research seems to have proven this true. I want to load these bullets for .380 auto plinking/training ammo. I am using new Winchester brass and WSP primers. I have Win 231, AA#2, Power pistol, and 700x powders. These bullets seem to measure out to ".465 in length. I have found the maximum COAL for .380 Auto to be ".925, with these bullets. I am using the barrel of my LCP to determine this. I have Hornady #7, and Lyman #49 manuals. All lead bullets in Lyman show a COAL of ".980, granted they are round nosed, but not of the same weight. Lyman shows only data for 90 grain and 120 grain cast bullets. Hornady shows a 100 grain FMJ-RN also at ".980. The Hornady 90 grain XTP shows a COAL of ".965. I have loaded some 115 grain Hornady Xtp's in .380 Auto at a COAL of ".956. These HSM bullets seem to seat as deeply into the case as the 115 grain XTP's. I want to start with 2.6 grains Win #231, 2.5 grains of AA#2, and 3.0 grains of Powerpistol, for a round robin. These are all starting loads for Hornady 100 grain FMJ-RN. I guess my questions are: Does anyone have experience in using these bullets? At a ".925 COAL what is your idea of a starting load with said components? All help will be very much appreciated!