The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2007, 09:36 PM   #1
chemist308

newbe question

Now that I've succesfully reloaded my 308 rifle cases, I'd like to try my hand at 38 and 357 pistol cases. My rifle cases were yellow brass, which left no doubt as to my ability to resize them. But my pistol cases are silver metallic. I think one brand is Federal, the other is American Eagle. Can these be reloaded with a standard Lee die set?
Old March 27, 2007, 10:31 PM   #2
rwilson452

Yes you can reload nickle plated cases. I would suggest you chamfer the cases first. the nickle is a harder metal and by breaking the edge you will make it easier on your dies. you only need to do this the first time usually. you should be able to feel the difference when you use them in your press.
Old March 27, 2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Dave Haven

Quote:
Can these be reloaded with a standard Lee die set?
Sure. They're nickel-plated brass. No problem reloading them in your Lee dies.
Old March 27, 2007, 10:50 PM   #4
chemist308

Quote:
you should be able to feel the difference when you use them in your press.
Harder or easier?
Old March 28, 2007, 05:46 AM   #5
rwilson452

harder metal harder to work.
Old March 28, 2007, 11:05 AM   #6
Smokey Joe

Don't chamfer pistol cases!

Chemist 308--Loading pistol ammo is a little different from loading for a rifle, although the basic idea is the same.

I must disagree with RWilson--you don't chamfer pistol brass--you put it through a resize die and then through a bell-mouth die, which flares out the case mouth. BTW, you do this as little as possible, but the bell-mouth allows the bullet to slip into the case. Pistol brass cases are so thin I doubt a chamfer would make a difference, but there I'm just theorizing.

The case is then primed and charged with powder, and the bullet inserted--just like a rifle case.

Lastly, the case mouth is crimped on the bullet--again, as little as possible. This removes the bell-mouth, secures the bullet in the case, and allows the round to be chambered.

Your .38 and .357 rounds are rimmed cases, so they headspace on the rim. Therefore the crimp used is a roll crimp. In a rimless case (.45ACP for example) the round headspaces on the front ege of the case, and a roll crimp doesn't work, so what is used is called a taper crimp. The case mouth is just pressed down flat against the side of the bullet.

Anyhow, pistol rounds are bell-mouthed and then crimped. They are not chamfered. BTW, you do this as little as possible, so as not to excessively "work" the brass. Due to this "working" of the brass, pistol cases usually fail at the case mouth, but you get quite a number of loadings out of them first.

You treat pure brass pistol cases, and nickel-plated brass pistol cases, just the same. I haven't noticed any difference in putting them through the press. As noted above, the nickeled cases are supposed to be more brittle, and fail earlier, but you still get a number of loadings out of the nickeled cases before they split.

One more thought:
Quote:
But my pistol cases are silver metallic.
If these cases are steel, or aluminum, DO NOT RELOAD THEM. Steel is hard on your equipment, and generally a PITA to reload. The only aluminum cases I know of are the Blazer brand, and these are Berdan primed--not reloadable with standard Boxer priming equipment. Easy test: Steel cases are magnetic, aluminum and brass are not. Berdan primers use 2 small flash holes, not one central hole as do Boxer primers. And aluminum cases are (1) not shiney, and (2) suspiciously light. Nickel-plated brass is very shiney, and shows yellow when scratched, or filed.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; March 28, 2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old March 28, 2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
Harder or easier?
Since nickel is harder than brass and has a lower coefficient of friction, they feel smoother, possibly making them feel easier to size. But underneath the nickel plating the cartridges are made of the same brass metal, so the force required will be very close to the same.
Old March 28, 2007, 06:45 PM   #8
rwilson452

smokey,

your right I was thinking rifle not pistol. My bad.
Old March 28, 2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Smokey Joe

No biggie!

RWilson--No probbie--You've demonstrated in plenty of yr other posts, that you know what you're talking about.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 30, 2007, 12:09 AM   #10
Zippy06

+1 with the other Guys.
I have some guns, never seen factory ammo. Except, maybe the factory.
My Lee turret is +20 yrs. old.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy