The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 22, 2014, 05:13 PM   #1
Sf045

AK-47 or AR-15 or something else ?

Hello all -

I'm on market to buy not quite expensive from the top line rifle and I'm considering one of those two, ak-47 and ar-15... Anyone has some experience with those two? Maybe something else on the line ? Perhaps better one for the price ? Please comment.

Thank you for any ideas or thoughts.

Last edited by Sf045; March 22, 2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Misspell a word
Old March 22, 2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Sierra280

It would be helpful to know what you plan on using it for and what your spending limit is.
Old March 22, 2014, 05:29 PM   #3
hwarang54

This debate will rage.... and the answer.is, it depends. It depends on a lot...
Old March 22, 2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Wannabegunsmith

Everybody has their own opinion. Buy them both and try for yourself
Old March 22, 2014, 05:36 PM   #5
TXAZ

Welcome. If you search TFL for AK vs. AR, you should find a plethora of threads addressing the question.

As Wannabe said, try both they are very different but worthy weapons.

Good luck!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 22, 2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Sf045

Price under $1k

Price limit is under $1k, would like to use it for outside range activity, mainly...
Old March 22, 2014, 05:45 PM   #7
Wannabegunsmith

Quick tip in my opinion. Ak- reliability. Ar- accuracy
Old March 22, 2014, 05:45 PM   #8
WV_gunner

What experience do you have guns? Is this your first rifle? If it is, then neither. You don't want this type of gun for your first rifle. You need something more simple to build shooting skills. Don't buy into the have to have semi auto hype. It's a myth. These guns have no real use in the real world. They can be used to hunt but they aren't really practical. I do own a Draco and like it but its more of range toy. I would like to try out deer hunting with it however. But for a new shooter I recommend a single shot, might be all you really ever want. We need more information to help you.
Old March 22, 2014, 05:55 PM   #9
nemesiss45

Yeah, some people likr one and hate the other. I have one of each and love both. They are really totally different animals though.
The AK is rugged, inexpensive, cheap to shoot, and will eat any ammo you feed it and ask for seconds. It is not very accurate, will not do long distance well, and has fewer customization options.

The AR is generally more tightly machined, offering better accuracy potential. It has practically no recoil, and is also cheap to shoot. With the right setup you can throw heavier bullets accurately well past 300 yds. There are countless customization options. A lot of ARs can be very picky about ammo and they can be picky about cleaning an lubrication depending on the specific rifle you have and the environment you are in... not a problem if you clean it well and learn how much lube it likes.... I personally shoot mine pretty dry, but others swear by drenching them.

So yeah... its all about what you like and what you want to do with it.
Old March 22, 2014, 07:27 PM   #10
Nine the Ranger

I can't speak for an AR or AK, but a comparable rifle that's tons of fun is a Ruger Mini-14.

Accurate enough, reliable, simple, and can fit multiple purposes. Plus it's just fun
Old March 22, 2014, 07:29 PM   #11
Venom1956

making popcorn!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 22, 2014, 08:23 PM   #12
Quentin2

Quote:
AK-47 or AR-15 or something else ?
Yeah, AK-47 AND AR-15 AND something else AND something else ....

Anyway that's what a lot of us have done!
Old March 22, 2014, 09:07 PM   #13
Indi

Quote:
Yeah, AK-47 AND AR-15 AND something else AND something else ....Anyway that's what a lot of us have done!*
^^^^We have a winner!!! I got 1 Ak47 and 3 Ar15's and I still couldnt give you an answer, besides get both. Heck be a man and get an M1 Garand.....
Old March 22, 2014, 09:15 PM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
I can't speak for an AR or AK, but a comparable rifle that's tons of fun is a Ruger Mini-14.

Accurate enough, reliable, simple, and can fit multiple purposes. Plus it's just fun
And good magazines for it cost what? $50?

At least you can pretend you are part of "The A-Team"......
Old March 22, 2014, 11:28 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

One was made to be used by untrained peasants and illiterate conscripts, living in the worst conditions imaginable, with no support.
The other was made to be used by soldiers with hands-on training; and routinely cleaned and maintained, with the option for support from the rear.

One poops where it eats.
The other doesn't give a poop.

One was designed for reasonable reliability, with minute-of-soldier accuracy.
The other was designed for supreme reliability, with "if we shoot at them enough, we might get lucky"-accuracy.

If I just wanted a "blaster", I'd buy an SKS (stripper clips are more fun than AK magazines).
If I had any expectations for accuracy, I'd buy an AR-15.
Old March 22, 2014, 11:40 PM   #16
towboat-er

Neither. How about the VZ
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...827&name=Czech VZ58 (Century Arms Mod VZ2008) 7.62x39 Rifle
Old March 22, 2014, 11:53 PM   #17
Cirdan

Get the AR. Ammunition will be cheaper and you can sink all your spare change into mods.
Old March 23, 2014, 03:29 AM   #18
Sierra280

Quote:
One poops where it eats.
The other doesn't give a poop.

Lol, lol, lol. This comment made me think of the part of the world many AK's come from. Thinking about how many left hands may have touched the fore-end of an Asia made AK, I'M NEVER TOUCHING ONE AGAIN.
Old March 23, 2014, 11:11 AM   #19
FrankenMauser

Sierra280, that's just wrong.

But, it reminds me of the advice I used to give new guys, when they'd show up for their rotation: "Never shake hands with a man with one hand."
Old March 23, 2014, 11:43 AM   #20
skizzums

it was said in the second post,
ar=accuracy ak=reliabilty
ar=small fast bullet ak=slower heavy bullet

if you want something for 100yard or under and just for fun, id go ak, bullets are really cheap, the gun is very simple for a new shooter and the good ones go for under 600$, if you want a top of the line ak go with a VEPR or a Saiga, but i would personally buy the vz58(vz2008) because they are lighter and cheaper and still accurate as the others, ak bullets have incredible penetration btw, they are just fun guns, slap a red dot on it and go to work or even just leave iron sights, remember thatthe predecessor of the ak is the SKS, also a great fun rifle that uses the same bullet as the ak 7,62x39

the ar15 is a little more advanced(alot more advanced mechanically) but is a great all-around gun, if you want something with a magnified scope and learn how to do any long distance shooting, ars are awesome for it, but they are more difficult to maintain, more prone to have problem, not they are not reliable guns, it just takes some learning on the shooters part, a GOOD ar will run you about 700 bare-bones, you will need to add optics on your own, i have always had both platforms but just sold the russian because after getting into the ars i never used the 762x39 anymore, but i am still glad i went russian for my first :TACTICOOL: rifle

the other good thing about an ak, you can sell it for pretty much what you paid for it, or more if you time it right

so get an ak type first, load up on cheap bullets, get the ar next year when your ready to get into more advanced shooting
Old March 23, 2014, 12:07 PM   #21
skizzums

i wanna touch on the sks again if is something you havent considered yet, you can go from basic to extreme

should still be able to find one loacally or online for 350$
http://www.gunsamerica.com/910822094...ese_762x39.htm

this is a basic one with extended mag

heres mine after about 300$ in upgrades, i paid 650$ after everything, and its was all very easy stuff that anyone could do

fun guns, and great for beginner, never hear about problems with an sks, just something to think about
Old March 23, 2014, 12:31 PM   #22
Buzzcook

imho the AR-15 is much more fun to shoot.
Old March 23, 2014, 08:35 PM   #23
ranchito457

Now I'm sold on buying an sks after I saw that...
Old March 24, 2014, 09:45 AM   #24
gunslinger2000

I guess we're covered. Got a couple of SKSs, an AK, a Mini 14 and just bought a S&W. M&P 15. Guess all we need now is an M&P 10? Gunslinger
Old March 24, 2014, 11:02 AM   #25
bitttorrrent

holy cow Skizzms!!

I have the sks original like in your pic. and was wondering what to do with it .

please tell me what stock man. and other things you did to it.

that looks awesome!

Tags
ak-47 , ar-15 , bang for the price , m16 , rifle