The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 6, 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
BerdanSS

ranger .22 firing when bolt is closed

My buddy got a Ranger model 34RM from a swap meet a couple weeks ago. It's a single shot "cock on close" bolt action. Pretty neat little rifle, in great shape for its age. After the first 50 rounds or so (its laser accurate) it started firing itself when a round was chambered while closing the bolt. Not sure how these rifles work....is this a spring issue or more of a sear not engaging all the time problem?
Old May 6, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

As you close the bolt, the sear catches the sear notch of the spring loaded striker, and holds it back. After you close the bolt, and then pull the trigger, the sear moves down, and allows the striker to move forward, under spring pressure, and into the firing pin. It sounds to me like either the sear is not catching in the sear grove of the striker, or it barely catches, and when the bolt is closed, it releases and fires prematurely. It could be a worn sear, sear notch, or sear-trigger spring. By the way, I think this is the same gun as a Marlin 100 marketed by Sears, so Marlin parts would fit it.

Check for a frozen firing pin protruding from the bolt face too.

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; May 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:20 PM   #3
BerdanSS

First thing I checked when it happened was the firing pin, seemed normal to me. not protruding from the bolt face during the closing/cocking process.

Thank you sir for the parts interchange, that was the main problem with parts. there aren't any for a Ranger....but found a whole slew of them for the Marlin 100
Old May 8, 2013, 06:49 AM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

You're welcome, glad I could help.