The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 17, 2012, 08:48 AM   #1
Barber2678

Received my grandfather's Light Twelve yesterday!

So my grandfather (dad's dad) died about 8 years ago and the Auto-5 Light Twelve he had went to one of my uncle Steve because he was the only son who didn't already own one (I think my grandfather gave it to him before just he died). Then a year or so back I half-jokingly told my uncle he could give it to me when he was done with it. So a few weeks ago we were talking and he wants me to find him an O/U 28 ga. for trap/skeet/sporting clays and that he will trade for the A-5. He ended up finding a Citori for a good price and I gave him a check for just shy of what that cost.

Yesterday he brought it to my dad who later brought it to me. There are two plain barrels (modified and full) with the gun. The gun was used a lot and is in decent shape. Forearm does not match and is of a more recent manufacture, aftermarket recoil pad, and the gun has been reblued. The neat part to me is that he kept all the corresponcence, receipts, etc. from when he sent it back to Browning in '83 for all the work to be done. You wouldn't believe what all they did for only $260 or $270 (maybe you would, it was 1983). I know I paid too much for it, but having it is well worth it to me.

I now have A-5's from both of my grandfathers. Light Twenty and a Light Twelve.
Old August 17, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Salmoneye

I have Dad's 1947 Light 12...

No way will it be going anywhere till it passes to my child...

Keep yours and use em now and then...
Old August 17, 2012, 01:54 PM   #3
PetahW

Very nice - I can only hope that both my Grandsons will do the same with at least one or two of my faves.

I've already come to terms with myself, though, and have given several guns to various children & grandkids - so there'll be no question regarding how I wanted their disposition made.

Old August 17, 2012, 03:23 PM   #4
shortwave

Congratulations on a true trophy Barber.

Have a few myself and they are priceless. Too, have already passed a few down to the kids that are family heirlooms. It's a great feeling to be able to pass a piece of family history to your children.
Old August 18, 2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Method

I just recently inherited my grandfather's Winchester Model 12 from my dad. Third generation gun works wonderfully, will go pheasant hunting this fall, and eventually will be passed down to a fourth generation.

Tags
a-5 , auto-5 , browning , light twelve