The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Hog Buster

Pressure Casting

Just wondering, how many here pressure cast?...... How many cast with 2 molds at the same time?........... Anyone cast with more than 2?

All my casting is done as a sort of modified pressure version. I start with the mold against the spigot, then as the cavity fills I move it away and make a full button on the sprue plate....... I always cast with 2 molds and almost never with the same size or weight bullet...... On occasion I have cast with 3 molds, but never more.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:21 AM   #2
zippy13

Guilty; but, I've never contemplated trying three at once -- you're a wild man, HB. I do keep two melters going at the same time. That way, I don't have a delay when re-loading the pot because the other one is already up to temp.
Old March 19, 2011, 08:53 AM   #3
reloader28

I've ran 2 molds at once and pressure cast, but only certain times with certain molds.
Old March 19, 2011, 10:59 AM   #4
snuffy

I only pressure cast boolits that give me trouble when bottom poured. Those are mostly BEEEEEEEG boolits, the rifle molds for 45/70 and my new 500-700 grainers.

By pressure casting, I mean with a Lyman ladle held against the sprue plate. Then rotated to the vertical position, then separated to form a sprue puddle. I use a lee 20 pound pot, the nipple is too short to be able to line it up with the sprue plate. Besides, 20 pounds of lead would exert too much pressure on the mold cavity, fins would form on the parting lines of the boolit.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 19, 2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Hog Buster

Oh the horror!..... Pressure casting with a Lyman ladle. Man I haven’t done that in 40+ years.

I’ve pressure cast with both 10 and 20 pound pots and haven’t had any problems. Granted it depends on how hot your melt is and what your alloy is, but a little experimenting and you can sure beat the hell out of using a ladle.
Old March 19, 2011, 09:53 PM   #6
snuffy

Quote:
Oh the horror!..... Pressure casting with a Lyman ladle. Man I haven’t done that in 40+ years.

I’ve pressure cast with both 10 and 20 pound pots and haven’t had any problems. Granted it depends on how hot your melt is and what your alloy is, but a little experimenting and you can sure beat the hell out of using a ladle.
Fine for you, but I can't see the spout on the lee pro 20. I'd have to have it above eye level so I could get the bifocals on it. Not about to do it by feel!! If lee would just make the spout a little longer, us blind old folks could use it to pressure cast just fine!

Get used to doing it with a ladle, it goes pretty fast.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 20, 2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Hog Buster

just make the spout a little longer.” Seems like I’ve heard that before.

Yeah, I’m an old bifocal wearing man too. After looking at a picture of the 20 pound Lee pot I have to agree. The spout is pretty well hidden. I was thinking RCBS not Lee.

snuffy or zippy 13

Checking thru my junk today I found a Lyman 45/70 hollow point mold. It’s about a year old with only about 100 bullets cast thru it. I have no use for it. My 45/70 won’t digest lead bullets very well. If either of you are interested maybe we can trade for something I can use? Let me know and I’ll give you the info on it.

Last edited by Hog Buster; March 20, 2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Addendum