The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 27, 2010, 01:47 PM   #1
woodguru

california CWP Qualification

I talked to a guy who offers the qualification, it doesn't sound like it should be any problem. Fire five and reload exercises at different distances out to 15yards. 90 seconds, 70 seconds, and I forget how many at the 3 yard from the hip. 30 rounds total.

I'll use my Beretta 86 Cheetah, it's good for nice small groups at 55 yards.
Old October 28, 2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Hook686

Good luck with your CCW qualification. What county ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old October 28, 2010, 06:23 PM   #3
lambertiana

Good luck.

I live in the only county in CA that does not require range qualification, just a four hour class.
Old October 28, 2010, 07:59 PM   #4
WW2

In Riverside County, California...

Quote:
The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department does not issue permits to “Provide a feeling of safety” or to alleviate a “Fear of victimization”.

Quote:
ADDITIONAL ITEMS REQUIRED IF APPLYING STRICTLY FOR PERSONAL PROTECTION.

Current police reports and / or other documentation supporting need, such as restraining orders or other verifiable written statements.

VALID DEATH THREATS OR HARRASSMENT ARE THE ONLY CRITERIA
WHERE ISSUANCE OF A CCW PERMIT WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR
PERSONAL PROTECTION. THE RIVERSIDE COUNTY SHERIFF DOES NOT
ISSUE PERMITS TO “PROVIDE A FEELING OF SAFETY” OR TO
ALLEVIATE A “FEAR OF VICTIMIZATION”.

What criminal issues a death threat with sufficient time to allow you to get a restraining order and CCW permit before he acts? What criminal gives sufficient information for you to obtain a restraining order?

In other words, you ain't getting a CCW here!

What else do you expect from a state that wants us to vote to legalize marijuna?
Old November 16, 2010, 07:07 PM   #5
woodguru

El Dorado County

We just had a new sheriff elected that my friend was saying is way friendlier on CCW's than the old one. I was good to go with the old one because I have tens of thousands of dollars coming in on weekends (all week long), and several documented threats of extortion that were diverted only because I had a weapon on hand.

My friend is going to do the course with me, but he may not qualify now except for the fact this sheriff is a bit easier. Larry used to have a restaurant beer brewery and carried cash after the place was closed, he was a shoe in. Now he's a real estate agent so I don't know if that qualifies the need.
Old November 16, 2010, 10:03 PM   #6
chris in va

Quote:
Now he's a real estate agent so I don't know if that qualifies the need.
Even more justification for CC.
Old November 16, 2010, 11:37 PM   #7
sakeneko

Realtors frequently go into strange areas of town and meet with strangers at locations that are known to be empty and where there will not be any immediate witnesses. They're a nearly *textbook* case of people who should go armed -- they're obvious (and frequent) targets of violent attacks. Sheesh.... (I am *so* glad I no longer live in California/no longer have to put up with that cr*p.)
Old November 17, 2010, 12:44 AM   #8
dec41971

Both Thune and Vitter got re-elected. They have a whole new slew of pro-2A folk with them now. Let's wait and see if they were serious last time or they merely proposed the bill knowing it would go nowhere. This whole business of having to give justified reasons to exercise your rights is just ridiculous. Do they think the criminals bother justifying anything at all? Cramping down on the law abing folks just makes them better victims, it doesn't reduce crime. VA legalized reatraunt and bar carry in last July, and AFIK they are still waiting for the blood filled scenes. Grand I live in the Old Dominion.