The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 5, 2015, 04:41 AM   #26
Pilot

You can still get GI carbines, especially those with import marks for $700-$800, but it is nice to have a choice.
Old June 6, 2015, 11:34 PM   #27
bamaranger

push button

Early carbines had the push button safety. The wing safety came along later due to the very reason stated in the earlier post..... users dropping the mag instead of releasing the safety.

Sights were different, and early carbines had no bayonet lug either.

Not a carbine buff, lots of guys know more, but I think they are nifty little rifles.

Should have bought an import when they were cheap and plentiful.
Old June 9, 2015, 08:37 PM   #28
Chris_B

heck I bought a USGI Inland five years ago for 750 bucks, non-import. It's a special one too, it has all the evilness but was lawfully here before the ban.
Old July 2, 2015, 11:56 PM   #29
salvadore

I've been wanting to take my reimported Inland carbine to the range since this post started and finally made it today. Shot 6 groups with 5 different loads @ 50 yrs. All groups were 5 shots and each one had a flyer. Since I tend to fatigue easily these days, I'll take credit for the flyers. Each group put 4 shots into an inch or so with PMCs 3/4". My reloads and all the factory stuff shot to the same poi except the steel cased russian stuff shot 2.5" high and to the left. One of the loads had a 61 headstamp along with a 60A, or a A60, too lazy to go look but the rounds were maybe 54 years old. Anyway, I know 1" groups don't necessarily translate into 2" groups @100yrs, but I think this will become my new truck gun.
Old July 5, 2015, 08:06 AM   #30
COSteve

I bought a 1943 National Postal Meter, high wood, Rock River Arsenal rebuild carbine in pristine shape some 40+ yrs ago that's too valuable to shoot. I looked for years to find a decent GI shooter but I couldn't find anything reasonably priced that wasn't a beat to heck, worn out, sloppy shooter or one in decent codition that was priced way too high to use as a shooter.

So I finally broke down and got a NIB Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine as a shooter back in 2012 figuring that I'd give it a try. I replaced the flip rear sight with a Type II adjustable as this carbine as I like it better. I was surprised to find that it's considerably more accurate than my NPM with it's original Marlin, 1 gauge muzzle. Mind you the NPM is well within GI specs as it shoots 'minute of coffee cup' at 100yds with GI surplus ammo all day long.

The AO is a ton of fun to shoot and I don't have to worry about wearing out or breaking a real piece of history that will be passed on to my son when I'm gone. It functions well when lubed, just like my NPM, feeds the Korean GI mags like a champ, and as I said, is much more accurate. A younger CMP shooter at our range with great eyes and using my 30 Carbine handloads put together a 2", 100yd group with it which for a M1 Carbine, is great shooting.

The guys at the range can't tell the difference between my GI and AO carbines except that my AO shoots better. As they come with a M-2 type mag release with the extra 'tail' to hold the 30rd mags in place, they shoot 30rd Korean mags as reliably as they shoot the 15 rd. I'm sold on it and as it cost about $600 back in 2012 vs beater GI carbines going for $700-$800 at the time, it's well worth the money.

Old July 6, 2015, 06:05 PM   #31
BoogieMan

How would quality of build rank among garand manufacturers.
Beretta
springfield
winchester
I know it and hr also made garands. How do they rank and who else made garands?
this may be a bit of a mute point as I usually see hr or springfield and may not have any choice in what I actually end up with. I would take any one of the manufacturers if the price was right.

-sorry this went in the wrong forum- I'm on phone posting and it's less than. Ideal.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old July 7, 2015, 05:46 PM   #32
COSteve

[QUOTE]How would quality of build rank among garand manufacturers./QUOTE]I rank them like this:

H&R
Beretta

Springfield

Winchester

While Winchester had the name both their M1 Garands and M1 Carbines were generally poorly finished. Yes, they met spec but not by a ton. Interesting that in spite of their poor finish, they still command a high price simply because of the name.

To be fair, both H&R and Beretta (made from Springfield parts) produced M1 Garands after the war when the pressure to keep up the volume was lower.
Old July 7, 2015, 05:55 PM   #33
1stmar

Don't forget IH. I haven't held one so can comment on quality.
Old July 8, 2015, 05:53 AM   #34
Ibmikey

I thought this was a thread on newly manufactured Carbines, how did it get redirected to Garands? I saw an ad for Rockola receivers and it indicated " out of production" Has the new Carbine company given up already or is it advertising hype?
Old July 8, 2015, 11:29 AM   #35
DanTSX

The market needs an excess of cheap .30 carbine a,mo before these will be successful.
Old July 8, 2015, 08:20 PM   #36
Dfariswheel

Looks like Rock-Ola is in business.

I'd rather have it then the Inland. The Inland has a cast receiver, the Rock-Ola is machined from billet stock.

http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/prod...1-carbine.html
Old July 9, 2015, 11:24 PM   #37
DanTSX

Curious about the count of MIM parts that I'd have to replace....