The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 14, 2015, 04:59 PM   #1
Freeloader Reloader

Sling for Ruger Charger

I just bought a 2008 model Ruger Charger 22 from a friend of mine who ordered a new Take Down model Charger. I love this pistol! I bought it with a BSA Red Dot sight and one regular mag and one 25-rd Butler Creek with the plastic lips. Another friend gave me two brand new Butler Creek 25 rounders with metal lips AND loaded with ammo! That's a real friend. He also gave me a new HC3R magazine that holds 45 rounds total and loads with stripper clips. It is a little bit complicated to load at first, but after a couple of tries, reading the instructions and watching the videos, I think I've got the hang of it. I removed the bipod and put a sling swivel on the gun. It only has one attachment for the sling and it is in the front of the gun. Someone told me they saw a sling with a loop around the pistol grip. I have yet to see anything on it and have been searching for a video or something on it. Any of you guys know what kind or brand of sling this might be? I really love this little gun. Haven't got it to the range for a thorough trial yet but I have a feeling I had better stock up on more .22 ammo...if I can find some.
Old March 15, 2015, 08:54 AM   #2
Nathan

You could do this off your scope base:

or the better oprion IMHO would be to put a stud on and do a single point like this:

You would have to put the rear stud on, but it looks like there is enough wood there.
Old March 15, 2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeloader Reloader
Someone told me they saw a sling with a loop around the pistol grip. I have yet to see anything on it and have been searching for a video or something on it. Any of you guys know what kind or brand of sling this might be?
The sling you may be referring to is used on shotguns. The slip loop at one end goes over the rear stock and tightens up around the pistol grip.

Old March 16, 2015, 02:51 PM   #4
Snyper

They get in the way on that sort of handgun

I'd just add swivels as needed
Old March 16, 2015, 03:13 PM   #5
Pahoo

It does look cool !!!

Okay; Another stupid question but what is the reason for slinging? If it's for shooting from the bench, there is a better way to hold these little guys. If it's for carrying in the field, then a single-point is fine but I found that I did not trust the muzzle swing when I carried mine that way. The sling was attached to the bottom of the Harris. Eventually, I just carried it in my strong-side hand. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 16, 2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Snyper

Bracing against a sling really helps in field positions.
I'd never attach a single point system to a scope mount though
Old April 4, 2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Rembrandt

I think Ruger missed the boat by not adding a rear sling stud. It adds several dimensions of usefulness that I find handy. Single point rear attachment allows the shooter to brace the gun with the neck for a stable hold with your forearms extended. It also aids in carrying by keeping the muzzle pointed to the ground when using a single loop sling.

When using a two point swivel sling it aids in keeping the gun close to the body, either in the front, side, or on the chest. I prefer mounting the stud on the left side of the stock rather than in the center/rear. This allows the bolt lever on the action toward the outside of clothing rather than get snagged or caught. It also allows the ability to quickly cock a round into the chamber if you choose to keep the gun unloaded when carrying.

I went with Uncle Mikes screw in style studs, recessing the washer just a little with an end mill.