The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 22, 2010, 07:05 PM   #1
DE Shooter

new old Rem 1100 for bubba

I recently picked up a beat 70s 1100 12 field grade. Cracked wood, not much blue left and some pitting on the barrel. I test fired it and it cycled all without a miss. I just put a Rem Shurshot pistol grip stock on it and a 8+1Tacstar tube on it. If I cut the barrel at the end of the tube, it will be about 20". Will it still cycle light and heavy loads? Or will the shortened barrel not affect cycling? Any info, from experience, appreciated. With the old stock 28" Mod barrel it goes bang every time...but I want a shortie. I have other "hunting" shotguns. This one is for fun and experimenting.
Old September 22, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

When Remington intro'd their Practical Competition 1100 a few years back, it wore a 22" barrel. The word was this enabled it to work best and put the dwell time on the money. I shot one that functioned perfectly through maybe 50 standard 9 pellet 00 loads for me that day.

For your toy, I'd cut the barrel at about 23" and try things out, then shortening it an inch if all's well.

HTH....
Old September 23, 2010, 06:59 AM   #3
lmccrock

I have an 1100 Competition Master, 22" barrel. Works with most loads, heavy or light, although I did have issues at a match with Remington reduced recoil slugs, when the weather and the gun were very cold. I did not debug much, except to warm the gun up. Could have been a lack of lube, or inadequate cleaning, not sure. I changed to a different slug.

Different barrels may have different gas port diameters, which can impact amount of dwell time needed. Not sure what ports Remington puts in the different barrels.

The recoil springs are the same across the different 1100 models (at least 12 ga, not sure about other gauges). Not much to change there.

Lee
Old September 23, 2010, 04:26 PM   #4
DE Shooter

I see Remington offers a 21" CYL bore for an 1100 on their website. A Remington rep told me that the two-hole gas port system was slightly modified once, sometime in the mid80s, they changed the angle slightly....but did not change the diameter of the ports. I'm guessing cutting at 21" would be safest shorty. Thanks for the info.
Old September 24, 2010, 02:09 PM   #5
jfruser

My 1100 12 ga sports an 18" bbl that started life as a 28" modified fixed choke. Then, my dad had it cut down to 24" and adjustable chokes installed...and he could no longer hit a darned thing with it!

I had it cut down to 18" & a smidge by a gun smith.

It will cycle even the pathetic Wally World bulk pack shells. Never had a problem with any sort of buck or slugs, reduced recoil or hot stuff.

Here's a photo before I added the mag ext/bbl clamp: