The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 7, 2006, 10:22 PM   #1
capitan-d

Feed problems on a Ruger M77 mkII.

took out my brand new ruger .223 m77 mk2 to fire it for the first time...loaded it up with some wolf fmj ammo and it wont feed the ammo. i slide the bolt forward and it goes almost all the way forward but stops 1/4 to 1/2 inch from fully loading the shell. i tried pushing with fairly good force but could not get the bolt all the way forward. ejecting the shell is very hard also. something need some lube? anyone else had/heard of this problem?

thanks,
devin
Old January 7, 2006, 11:07 PM   #2
jrklaus

How long are the Wolf .223s? Have you tried another manufacturer's ammo?

Hope it all works out!
Old January 8, 2006, 02:05 AM   #3
Tacoma

Wolf uses steel ( vs brass) cases on their .223 ammo. Not sure if this is is related to the problem but it's junk IMHO. I won't use it in any of my 223's. (Not thrilled about stuffing steel into steel.) Go to wall mart and buy some white box, brass cased 223. It's about the same price as the wolf and is reloadable.
Old January 8, 2006, 08:33 AM   #4
keens

Tacoma, please let us know what you find with the other factory ammo...I have heard of wolf fodder giving problems with others too...I am interested to see if it was the ammo or the rifle...
Old January 8, 2006, 02:05 PM   #5
capitan-d

it is the only ammo i had with me, i will buy a box of something not so cheap and see if that fixes it.
Old January 8, 2006, 10:40 PM   #6
capitan-d

well, i didnt look at the gun very much (busy today) but i did examine one of the shells that i tried to load and there are three spots on it where it looks like there may have been 3 burrs around the barrel that are not allowing the shell to fully feed. need to get a flashlight to make sure that is the problem, you guys think i should try to remove the burrs or exchange it for a new rifle?

thanks,
devin
Old January 9, 2006, 01:04 AM   #7
Evilrp

Dude ... do not alter your rifle ... if you have any questions about wether or not the gun is safe take it back to where you bought it and have them inspect it. btw wolfe is not what you want to be shooting out of a fine rifle like that ... try some hornady or winchester silvertips... you bought a nice rifle why buy crap ammo to put in it.