The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 19, 2006, 01:24 AM   #1
Csspecs

Night Vision Scope for Coyote hunting.

I have read the rules for coyote hunting and have found that I may use a nightvision scope. The range I will be shooting is 50 yards or LESS, I am also going to have to be a bit cheap on this one so I am leaning toward Gen 1.

If you know of a place that has an ok scope for an ok price feel free to link it. If you feel that nightvision is a bad idea please say why.
Old March 19, 2006, 12:10 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I dunno as I'm at all agaisnt the use of an NV scope; just never have. I use a regular hunting rifle (.223, .243) and have learned how to work my light so I don't spook the coyote so I don't get my shot.

A conventional rig makes it easy during the transition in light from late afternoon/evening into full dark...

Anyhow, "Shotgun News" is full of ads for NV scopes.

Art
Old March 19, 2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

First generation scopes are OK for the short distances you're planning, but you will need one with an IR illuminater. Most of the 1st gen. stuff out there is made from Russian parts, and they just aren't that good. Without the IR, you'll need moonlight or a very bright starry night, and after an adjustment period for your eyes, you'll find that you can see without the scope almost as well as with it.

You'll also find that the IR source isn't invisible. You can plainly see a dull red glow from the scope, and so can the 'yotes .

The real downside to the 1st gen. stuff is the lack of overload protection. If you sweep a bright light source with the scope, it will burn it out in an eyeblink. Trust me on that; I found out the hard way, and it cost me $200. to have the intensifier tube replaced.

The only up side I've found is that they're relatively cheap, and they're better than nothing, but not by much.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 19, 2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Csspecs

So the rifle scope is out then. I think I can rig a spot that will have a bit of light on it. But would the night scope (handheld) work to check behind me from time to time, I have heard more people talking about coyotes coming up behind them at night. I just want to be able to keep an eye out for them as I will be in a dark area.

Also the rule book says that I can use a "hand held type light" would a surefire mounted to the barrel still be ok. There is another section that says that they must run off of internal batterys and not off a car power source.
Old May 11, 2006, 11:59 AM   #5
kidvillain41300

The best suggestion I can give you is to buy the Bushnell 26-1020...that is the binocular unit with the headgear attachment..........It will give you excellent visual out to about 100yds in pitch black conditions........Just wear the unit, and you'll be able to pick up your front bead and happy blasting!!!