The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2012, 02:06 AM   #1
TMiller556

5.11 Rush 24 Backpack for student? Please help.

I'm 17 years old and I'm currently in high school. I found out about the 5.11 Rush backpack from my recruiter and he highly recommended it. When we go for runs, he uses the hydration pack in the back, which seems pretty cool. Since I have the money to buy it, I was wondering if this bag would be good for a high school student for things such as (books, clothes, etc.) Also, when I join the Marines, it would probably come into use (although I think they issue gear and I'm sure there will be superior bags by then). I also am very physically active so I carry shorts, sneakers, gym clothes as well as books for school and I'm sure the hydration pack on the back would be useful. Is there anyone that knows about this bag and could tell me if it would be a dumb idea to buy such an expensive bag at my age? I mean I don't have use for a lot of the features, but I figured it may come into use in the future. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old June 30, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
BarryLee

I have one and it is nice well made bag. It is the style pack that is designed to ride high on your back and does not have a hip belt. I think the design is to clear any gear belt you might be wearing, but it makes carrying a heavy load without the hip belt a lot more difficult. However, I never used mine for hiking, but as a day pack and it functioned well.

Is the bag for you? I can’t really answer that, but I would encourage you to shop around a little and check other styles/brands. Also, do not buy directly from 5.11, but from one of their distributors and you’ll save a few bucks.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 30, 2012, 09:15 PM   #3
TMiller556

Thank you for the reply. The only concern that I have is if I will be able to fit my laptop and books in it. My laptop specs are 13.89" (L) x 9.25" (W) x 1.22" (min H) / 1.41" (max H). I'm unsure of whether to go with the Rush 12 or 24.