The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 30, 2004, 01:38 AM   #1
OfcrBill

Primers jamming in chamber of my AR-15

Fellas, I need some input please. I been reloading .223 for my Colt AR15 for the past 3 yrs, with many ups and downs. I load 55gr FMJ with 22-23 gr AA2230, Winchester primers. I finally got to the point where I have the cartridges sized to spec (no more buldged rounds, lube thing). My problem is I get the spent primers lodging in the chamber and trigger assembly. In most cases this prevents the next round to fully chamber, some cases even get jammed. What I did differently is actually decapping before cleaning in my tumbler. I then lube and resize. Suggestion(s) pleez, this seems to be my only reloading frustration. Oh, I use a single-stage RCBS Rock Chucker, all RCBS equipment. Thank you, Bill (P.S. I already know it would be cheaper to just buy .223 cartridges. I reload all my ammo for the thrill of the art of reloading.)
USS Jason AR 8
USS Kitty Hawk CV 63
Old November 30, 2004, 08:40 AM   #2
SmokinTom

Primer setback is an issue with the AR-15 unless you have a means of crimping them in. I have been reloading since 1968,1976 for the AR-15. Oversize primer pockets and undersize primers are the rule here. Not much we can do about that though. Reloading is fun,butt sometimes a pain. You can buy relatively cheap US made ammo for that rifle. Look around. Try Natchez Shooters Supply for there specials and don`t forget your local gun shows. Good luck and good shooting. Tom
Old November 30, 2004, 11:10 AM   #3
Tim R

Using Federal brass and/or Federal primers will cause problems. The hot ticket seems to be is using Lake City (GI which needs the crimp removed) brass or Winchester brass. High Power shooters are using Remington SR match primers and the L/C brass. Digging a primer out during a match will ruin your day.
Old December 4, 2004, 10:35 PM   #4
tcshooter52

I agree about reloading ,I love it also even though you can really buy super cheap factory loaded ammo. My first question is how many times have you reloaded your brass? Have you uniformed the primer pockets? Is this military brass or factory? Word of caution on reloading military brass, this is thicker brass and you need to heed the warnings in all the reloading manuals..
Old December 5, 2004, 06:09 AM   #5
Powderman

Hmmm....

This is unique. I have never had that happen at all with my .223 reloads, and I load primarily Federal cases. I use 55 gr M193 surplus bullets, 23.5 of Data Powder 2200 (not available anymore, durn it ) and usually CCI primers. Crimp is lightly applied with a Lee FCD.

I have also used 25.0 of Varget for the same load. No problems yet!
Old February 21, 2005, 04:32 PM   #6
OfcrBill

Crimping too tight?

Hi Fellas, I was at the shooting range again and had the same problem, loose spent primers jamming in the chamber. I has an idea that may be the cause for the problem. I am guessing, from what I see, that I may be crimping too tight. A previous reply noted "a light crimp". Could it be...that my crimp is too tight, causing the easiest route of pressure release being the primer? Could this cause the spent primer to come loose during primer ignition? Ill atch a pic of my rounds, please comment on the crimp. I usually just reload brass once since I have a nice stockpile. I use a variety of brass and manual decap military brass. Thanks, Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bullets1.jpg (57.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Bullets2.jpg (160.6 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Bullets4.jpg (89.8 KB, 119 views)
USS Jason AR 8
USS Kitty Hawk CV 63
Old February 21, 2005, 04:45 PM   #7
G56

I have done a fair amount of reloading on 223 and have never had a problem, from your description it is quite obvious your primer pockets are oversize, I'm also using AA2230 and having no problems at all. Brass with oversize primer pockets needs to be thrown out, it is no longer usable.

I have heard that Federal brass is real bad about the primer pockets becoming loose with reloading, I don't have any 223 Federal brass so I don't have personal experience with this.

Here is some information about Federal brass you might find interesting, an interesting quote from that information: "The thin case head results in extreme amounts of case head expansion, with one of the most noticable problems being loose primer pockets."

Why Federal / American Eagle brass should NOT be reloaded.
Old February 21, 2005, 04:46 PM   #8
brickeyee

That is a rather serious crimp. Possibly a little to serious.
The primer should be completely supported by the breechface at ignition and until pressure has dropped low enough. The weakest place when a cartridge is fired is the bullet down the bore (any other sopt is a real problem).
How many times have you loaded the shells? The primer pockets sound loose from to many reloads or excessive pressure. I have never had a primer actually come out of a case in over 30 years of reloading. A few flat ones, a few partially oushed out ones (low pressure problem), but never had one come clean out of the case.
What tool are you priming on? A hand tool allows you to detect if pockets are getting loose. Part of the elusive 'feel' thing when seating primers. Priming on the press normally has to much friction and mechanical advantage to provide any real feel. I like the RCBS bench primer, but have a hand primer for field loading.
Old February 21, 2005, 06:34 PM   #9
knightkrawler00

I would say that the crimp is way too tight. I've loaded thousands of rounds for my AR-15 with R-P and Winchester brass, never had a problem with primers coming out. Never tried the Federal stuff due to the loose primer pocket issue. I've never crimped any of my .223 stuff and have never had a problem with bullet set-back. Though, this is with a 12 pound rifle where recoil is not much of an issue. I would try a different brand of brass and use a very light crimp.
Old February 22, 2005, 01:26 AM   #10
Tim R

What he said.
Old March 7, 2005, 09:46 PM   #11
SeaGar

OFcrBill,

It does look as if the crimp is a little excessive. I have never even crimped the bullets in. It appears that the pronounced crimp you're putting in the neck is actually pressing into the bullet itself required considerably more force (gas) to "break the bullet free" so-to-speak.
Try some completely "crimpless" in the neck and see if this changes the outcome. Of course, if the bullet does not apear to be seated at all, try a very light crimp.
Old March 10, 2005, 10:09 PM   #12
mgoberle

Are you checking your case length?

Your symtoms could also be a result of excessive case length. If the case is to long the shell neck will extend too far into the chamber resulting in the case neck being compressed. With your high degree of crimping there would not be anywhere for the case neck to expand into when the round is fired. The resulting high pressures will cause your primers to be blown out when the shell contracts after the round exits the neck.
Old March 27, 2005, 11:26 PM   #13
OfcrBill

Too Heavy on the crimp

Ok...first, I usually only load my brass once since I seem to have an endless supply of the the brass (if I ever run out of the bucketfull I already have). Second, I went pretty modest on the crimp (Lee Factory Crimp) for the next batch I made and no more jamms. I ran 20 through out of the the 80 I made. I tossed my last few boxes I made back in '01. I have been sorting out the Federal stuff too! Thanks for all your help! Bill Oh, and I use a case gauge for each and every cartridge to eliminate the possibility of length problems.
USS Jason AR 8
USS Kitty Hawk CV 63
Old March 27, 2005, 11:29 PM   #14
OfcrBill

Crimp

And BTW, I was happy to see much improved accuracy
USS Jason AR 8
USS Kitty Hawk CV 63