The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2014, 01:18 PM   #1
GeeRawkz

Saiga 12 Magazines

Hope all is well with everyone. I recently purchased a saiga 12 shotgun:

I was doing some research on 10 round magazines for this gun and ran across varying reviews depending on the manufacturer of that specific magazine. I was wondering if anyone has experience with purchasing magazines for the saiga 12 and could point me in the right direction as to what to purchase. Thank you in advance.
Old February 19, 2014, 03:59 PM   #2
SteelChickenShooter

I know in the case of a drum mag, there can be some certain filing to be done to fit. And you must be very careful to get it right. Might be a video showing that job on-line. I think I saw my info either in print or online and it had good instructions.
Old February 19, 2014, 04:35 PM   #3
WardenWolf

Make sure you ONLY get the MDArms drum. That is the ONLY drum that works right. The ProMag drum is an unreliable piece of trash, just like every other mag they've ever made. There's another company that makes one, too, that requires you alter your GUN to fit the mag, not the other way around.

For regular stick mags, stay with Surefire / SGM Tactical mags. They make the only truly good aftermarket Saiga mags. Note, however, that any mag you get may need a tiny bit of fitting to work perfectly. My Surefire 2-rounders required a tiny bit of filing on the rear top corners because they were rubbing something when they were inserted. They still went in and functioned, but they didn't drop free when the release was pressed. Now they drop free under gravity.
Old February 22, 2014, 12:39 AM   #4
Csspecs

I make a stamped steel magazine for the Saiga-12. I only have an 8 round version at present, my press is short a few tons of pressure to make the 10 and 12 round correctly.

We only started selling them a couple months ago, but so far all is going well. They do require fitting, but that is normal.

They are more expensive, welded steel vs. injection molded nylon.

I doubt many people outside of the saiga-12 forum have heard of them yet.

Link to the item and reviews.
http://stores.csspecs.com/saiga-12-g...teel-magazine/

As for Poly magazines:
I like the MD arms 20 rd drums over the Pro-mag. However Pro-mag makes a 12 round that with a little tuning can be nice, due to its compact nature.

For the stick mags in poly the best made is the 8 round factory, my steel magazines are made to compete with them, the factory 8 round is $109.
After that its a toss up between SGM and AGP.

Last edited by Csspecs; February 22, 2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old February 26, 2014, 08:39 PM   #5
GeeRawkz

Very interesting. I made mistake of ordering 2 pro mags for my saiga 12 with 10 round capacity and am pretty upset at how difficult it is to load and release the magazines. I am not really sure how to fix the magazines to function properly. Is this a typical problem?
Old February 26, 2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Csspecs

They probably need to be fit to your shotgun. It is fairly common, the ejector block is riveted to the receiver so it can vary a few thousandths.

This is my fitting guide. Its similar to how you fit a poly magazine.
http://youtu.be/029AQQ8NT_Y