The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 3, 2009, 12:46 AM   #201
Dannyl

Hi All, from Danny in Cape Town

Hi All,

My apologies for the late introduction, but only saw this page yesterday.

I do realize that this is long overdue, but I stumbled upon the reloading forum and been postig there most of the time, and never really had a good look at the rest of the forums.

I am 46, married and have a 10 YO boy.

I am active in IDPA, Pin-Shooting, Metallic Silouhette and both myself and my wife hunt regularly. (my boy shoots with my 0.22's )

I am Israeli, served several years as an infantry officer, and currently live in Cape Town - South Africa.

Bad news here is that you need a license for each firearm ( used to take 6 weeks, not it can take up to 18 months )
Good news, you are allowed to carry concealed to 99% of places, PLENTY places to go hunting, fishing etc.

Other than that, all 3 of us LOVE horses.

So far I have found TFL to be the most informative forum, there are a lot of people with vast amount of klnowledge that they are willing to share and also with a great sense of humor, keep it up!

Cheers,

Danny

Last edited by Dannyl; August 3, 2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old August 3, 2009, 03:23 PM   #202
jokeandcolor

Hello

This is my first post and since im a new member i figured I'll just post here till i get to know my way around, please dont flame me haha.
i own a Remington 700 SPS in .223 with the 26" barrel. Currently have a barska 6-24X50 scope on it and a bipod. Currently using Hornady TAP FPD Vmax 55 gr. ammo and have been getting mixed results. Just wondering if anyone has experiance with this particular ammo and rifle combo etc.. The scope came off my marlin 917v .17 hmr the gun was driving dime sized groups in stock condition. Im also wondering if theres any otc ammo that ppl recommend in the reasonable price range. Ive heard good things ablout black hills but cant seem to find it in stock on any sites. I plan on upgrading to a leupold in the near futute when money permits it.

(Comment from Staff: jokeandcolor, this isn't a discussion thread. If you noticed, no members are responding to introductions here. You question is perfectly legit, but you need to go to, I'd say, the Art of the Rifle forum to get your best answers for this question. Welcome to TFL.)
Old August 4, 2009, 06:43 PM   #203
wally626

I am not totally new to guns but am to pistols and revolvers. Shot 22s in Boy Scouts as well as with my Dad on occasion. My in-laws are gun people so I got to shoot a 22 revolver as well as some shotguns with them but not often. I took a hunter safety course to get my CPP which covered basic gun safety but mostly on rifles and shotguns, along with crossbows, black powder etc.

Got a new Glock 22 and I am off to a basic pistol course Thursday that includes some range time. So I am on my way. I have the permit but do not carry because my job would not allow it, and they do search cars in and out, so I can only carry at home and at leisure. The permit was mostly for politics, and the ability to buy more than one gun a month.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:37 AM   #204
Shooter40

FNG

Hi all,

I have actually been on this forum for awhile, as a lurker though. Threads here pop up regularly on Google searches of topics that interest me. Figured I might as well join and contribute to the insanity.

I have been a gun owner my entire life. Grew up in the woods of Georgia. Spent my adult life as a soldier and now have retired to Kentucky. I always owned modern personal protection weapons, but now that I am not moving ever few years, I am more interested in expanding the collection to older, more interesting, weapons.

Hope to learn a lot from you guys and maybe, on occasion, contribute a little.
Old August 6, 2009, 11:10 PM   #205
gj1

Hello, I'm from southern ontario and enjoy varmit hunting, use a savage 17 hmr or NEF 25-06 and sometimes a Rem 870 expreess 18" , the firearm laws up here are quite nurotic to say the least, starrie-eyed liberals run the show up hear unfortunitly and its a constant up-hill battle to appease these fools, put enough of politics for now, just happy to be a member of The Firing Line.
Old August 9, 2009, 10:31 PM   #206
WiredAl

New Guy

Howdy. I'm a student from Iowa who just bought his first gun. I like the discussions on this forum and figured I'd join up. I hope I can find a niche around here, but I don't think I'll have trouble.

The new gun is a Taurus model 66 .357 revolver, by the way.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:15 AM   #207
crackher

Crackher

Hey all,

another Canadian on the board

Mainly a rifle shooter, but i do enogh skeet and trap as well
also a newer pistol shooter
Old August 11, 2009, 02:35 PM   #208
Plywood

Hi all,

Another noob here. I got the collecting bug from my Gramps and have been into guns ever since. This looks like a cool place with lots of info.
Old August 11, 2009, 02:57 PM   #209
barthvenus

reading my way thru

great forums, wish I were more computer literate, but am getting there, am reading my way through the many great bits of wisdom that are in all of the forums. Keep up the good work
Old August 16, 2009, 09:16 AM   #210
takdriverbr

Howdy. Tak here. I am mostly a rifle shooter in the summer competing in benchrest and a pistol shooter in the winter when it's too cold to shoot rifle. Some of you may know me from http://www.takdriver.com I'm finding this forum very interesting. See you around
Old August 16, 2009, 12:38 PM   #211
okanogan john

newbie to reloading

Hi, I am okanogan john, I am needing a mentor, for reloading advice any I can get would be great
Old August 16, 2009, 04:39 PM   #212
Dave Cole

Just want to say hello

New here, my name is Dave Cole, and I am a Knifemaker/Leathersmith, have a few guns and enjoy shooting.Looks like a great place to hang out.Dave
Old August 16, 2009, 05:19 PM   #213
Horticattleman

Hello
Lots of good info here
Old August 16, 2009, 07:09 PM   #214
IamHenryBowman

Hello

Cool place, very informative. Figured since there was a place to introduce myself I would use it. Been shooting since I was about 7 with my Dad. Got my first rifle at that age (a single shot .22lr.) Fired my first handgun (with Dads help) at about the same age (.357, damned near bit my tongue off lol.)
I have been collecting and shooting ever since. Im a Beretta fan as far as handguns go, but the STI impressed me. Im also a big fan of Nighthawk customs. I am currently into buying property between Houston and Dallas to open up an Outdoor shooting range with a 800 yard setup for people that want to fine tune their long range shooting. Of course there will be pistol and shorter range rifle too, may throw in some trap area for good measure. Anyway, thats me, nice to be here. BTW if any of you haven't read the book "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross I highly suggest you pick it up and read it best book I have ever read.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:52 PM   #215
marlinreloader

Marlinreloader

I wanted to introduce myself after 4 post.

My main interest are reloading and shooting of all types. I am a member of a few sites but seem to be at cast boolits the most.

I look forward to meeting and learning from you all. This is a very nice site and have followed from the outside and wanted to join. Look forward to being a member here.

Thanks for everything.

Marlinreloader
Old August 17, 2009, 12:34 AM   #216
45Gunner

Hi Guys and Gals. I have been a gun collector since I returned from Vietnam in 1970. I am not an advocate of hunting animals for sport but do enjoy target shooting. My Dad turned me on to that when I was 10 years old. That was 52 years ago. I also have carried concealed weapons for a good many years, sometimes for the work I did and other times for personal protection.

I am always looking to learn and constantly seek new ideas and innovations about most everything I get involved in and I find these forums to be a tremendous wealth of knowledge. I stumbled across TFL by accident and I am enjoying reading all the posts. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience.
NRA Life Member
Old August 18, 2009, 10:50 PM   #217
mopars_1

i joined almost a year ago, my love of guns came from my uncle. I primarily like to collect WWII vintage guns. I also like to ride harley and collect mopar muscle cars.
Old August 19, 2009, 07:00 PM   #218
arcata2

from left wing environmental mecca

I hail from the tree hugger capitol and am a conservative gun owner nearing 50. I am glad to be online with you all. I love God, my wife & kids, my motorcycle, and my guns in that order. It is refreshing to have a spot where we can all complain about the ditso in office and shake in our boots from the liberals while we stock up our ammo before we can't get anymore. Hopefully he's 4 and out but that's another thread for another day...
Old August 20, 2009, 02:41 PM   #219
Nightowl

Hi to all...

I've been shooting and reloading off and on for almost 40 years. I am again reviving the hobby and discovered TFL by accident, took a look and joined immediately. I will have questions and am willing to share all information that I have. So far I am enjoying reading the posts.
Always - Safety First!
Old August 21, 2009, 10:07 PM   #220
Rodentman

Greetings!

I am The Rodentman, late of THR. I am almost 60, have 2 sons ages 29 and 25. I have lived in MN for 30 years after moving here from AZ in 1979.

I bought my first handgun in AZ (Bond's Gun Shop, 24th & Indian School Rd) in 1972, a 6" bbl Smith 28-2. I later bought a Ruger Service Six in 1976. I now have "several" more to say the least.

I started reloading in 1972 but got out of it when I moved to MN. I am back at it full bore now. Far from an expert, but I pay attention to detail and have been successful with my rounds.

I am partial to big bore handguns but have not moved up beyond the .44 mag yet. One reason is the range has some restrictions.

If I ever win the lottery I plan to open several new ranges here. We need them!
Old August 21, 2009, 10:38 PM   #221
jjackson988

New

Hey gents,
New to the forum, not the world of fire arms. Although I have just started to follow an interest of long distance shooting. I am not really familiar with scopes or calibers, any suggestions on where to post?

thanks
jj
Old August 22, 2009, 09:50 AM   #222
nslusarczyk

New Member Saying Hello from East Ohio

Hi: I'm a new member. Just found your site by searching for hunting in northeast Ohio and east Ohio. Looking for a place I can hook up with other fellow hunting enthusiasts. My husband and I have some acreage in Freeport Ohio near Jockey Hollow, Salt Fork State Park, and also Egype Valley. Have had great hunting success on our property. Looking for a forum where we can discuss the hunting in our region. We started up a hunting vacation retreat. Put up a log home on the property and now rent it out for hunting. If anyone is interested in hunting in Harrison County, please get in touch with me at www.possumlodgecabins.com or call us direct at 440-537-2026.

My husband suffered a stroke last Dec and is on the mend. Lost his conceal carry permit. He was in the hospital in rehab when his renewal date came up. Hoping he will be able to hunt this coming gun season. He's practicing now.

Looking forward to hearing from any members who still hunt and shoot that have been through a stroke. Would like to hear of their progress and how they practiced their shooting after a stroke.

Nancy at Possum Lodge in Freeport, Ohio
Old August 23, 2009, 11:58 AM   #223
Johan D

Johan D

Hi, New kid on the block I am. From small colonial town called Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape prov of South Africa. Fanatic M/L hunter, have 4 Pedersoli D/B's - a .54, .58 and 2 x.72's, all but one African Express's. Am looking - or rather contemplating starting a B/P gunshop here. Only problem is that we are swamped here with Italian guns, nothing wrong with them but hell !, I like my rifle barrels to be made out of RIFLE STEEL ! not mild steel. Could do with some advice/input from the US members. Need .54cal in 1-24", .72cal in 1-72 + and 8bore in 1-120+ twist. Input ?
Old August 23, 2009, 04:26 PM   #224
tyusclan

Hello from Florida

Hi all.

I've been a member for a few days and posted a few times, but for some reason I just noticed this thread.

I gotta pay better attention.

Anyway, looking forward to interacting with everyone and learning from those older and wiser.
Old August 24, 2009, 06:12 PM   #225
Shipman515

Hey ya'll.

New member to TFL, but not new to firearms by any means. I turned 21 at the end of July and got my CC permit the day of my birthday. I currently own six handguns (Glock 23, Springfield GI 1911, Kimber Pro Carry 2, Beretta 92FS, S&W 042 (my ccw), and S&W 442) and an assortment of rifles/shotguns (S&W M&P15, Century AK, Rem 870, etc.) Looking forward to learning more here.

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent