The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2001, 01:47 PM   #1
Guy B. Meredith

What are the pros and cons: sensitivity, ease of handling, sensitivity to intruding environmental farctors (sunlight), etc? Anything else interesting in the $150 range?
Old March 15, 2001, 03:05 PM   #2
Steve Smith

I've been using a friend's Shooting Chrony for several months...I've been quite pleased.
Old March 15, 2001, 05:01 PM   #3
Charmedlyfe

I had a PACT pro chrono (the one with the ballistic computer and printer). It was accurate, but cheaply made.I sent it back to Midway. Given my great love of PACT scales and dispensers, you can only guess at how painful it is for me to advise against buying a PACT chrono, at least until they improve the sturdiness of their instrument.

On a different note, I replaced it with the CED chrony from Brownell's. I got the IR upgrade, too. Very well-made, VERY VERY accurate. no printer.....

The standard CED is $159-$179 depending on where you get it. The IR upgrade can be added later for another $80. With the upgrade, environmental factors have very little bearing on the readings, and seems to be a little more consistent under all conditions than my friend's Ohler. Without the IR, it seems to be just as good. The only thing wrong is that it doesn't have a built-in printer.
Old March 15, 2001, 05:48 PM   #4
Cat

I have had pretty good results with the Chrony. I've never tried the Pact.
I must warn you! These devices are not bullet proof! They won't stop or deflect either a .40 S&W or a .223.

Neil Casper
Old March 15, 2001, 05:57 PM   #5
STEVE M

I'll second the vote for the CED. I haven't tried the IR upgrade though. I had a Crony for about 4 or 5 years before the CED last year. There is no contest, I'd never use a Crony again. A printer would be nice but It's not that big of a problem since it holds strings and shots even with the power off. I just wait untill I get home to write the info down. The built in math functions are nice to (but I do wish they had added muzzle energy). All and all, a great piece of equipment.
Old March 15, 2001, 06:29 PM   #6
Scooter2

I have a Pact basic chronograph since I don't really need all the extra functions. If I need to figure out the ballistics, my computer will do that and with pictures. I can even do the statistics on my calculator.

The one thing I do prefer is separate units for the measuring units and the separate display/processing unit. I've shot my skyscreens before, which is why I don't use them anymore, and it's nice to know that you can replace the sensor if you do shoot them accidentally.
Old March 15, 2001, 09:57 PM   #7
Abe Normal

I have a Beta Master Chrony, don't know much about the Pact chrono.
But I can say that I like the "Master" version so I can have the readout up close. Like that it'll remember up to 60 shots in 10 shot strings. Like the way the data is displayed, lowest velocity shot then highest then average of all shots in the string, extreme spread, standard deviation, then the individual shot velocity's. Like the printer that's offered as an "up grade" makes keeping track just too easy. Like the fact that it folds up into a small size. Like that it's easy on the battery.

Hate that all the functions are accessed by three buttons, so you damn sure better keep the instructions handy! Hate the three cheap push buttons, and had to repair one because it started sticking. Hate the cheap sky screens and support rods that go flying off far to often. (Have built a better sky screen with a single piece of sheet plastic). Like and hate that the printer keeps turning it self off to "save the battery".

Just my 2 cents worth after having my machine for about two years now.

If everyone thought like me, I'd be a damn fool to think any different!