The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 2, 2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Dustin0

Mauser 1916 ?

I have Spanish Mauser 1916 the Barrel is Junk :barf: Its has been converted to 308 and shortend. The stock has been bet the hell and back then again. The gun was given to me.

I was thinking of Boyds stock and Adams & Bennett Barrel Mauser Series 3 7mm-08 Remington F34 Contour.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=300420
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=794016

The action of the bolt and trigger are still good. I was also thinking optics on it.

Has anyone out there done something like what Iam thinking. Will that Barrel fit the gun I have? Will I have to get the reciever have to drilled and tapped ? Will that stock fit the Barrel and other parts ?

Thanks for the help.
Old February 3, 2009, 12:06 AM   #2
RJay

It sounds as if you have a Guardia Civil short rifle. They were cut down from 29 inches to 21 and re chambered in 7.62 NATO ( not 308 Winchester), Small ring with only two locking lugs, not three as on the 98. In my opinion I think you would be playing with fire to re chamber it in 7-08. They were not designed for that pressure. I feel they are not suitable for 308 Winchester ( 52000 CUP) although people have shot the 308 in them. If I Wanted to build a custom rifle ( and I have , using a 98 receiver, an 03 receiver and a 1917 action ) I would pick another action to build it on. You would be trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. The money you blow on it will by a new scoped Savage 110. Just my opinion and I know there are people who have shot a boatload of 308 in them with no ill results, yet.
Old February 3, 2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I don't know everything you need to know but I do know some things and some others you should find out.

That is not the right barrel, you need one for a small ring Mauser action, what Midway calls a Series 2. They will not make a small ring barrel for as high pressure a round as the 7mm 08. You would be about as well off with a 7mm Mauser, if the Spaniards did not mess up the magazine when going to 7.62.

That is not the right stock, the 1916 has a small ring Mauser action.

If you want optical sights the action will have to be drilled and tapped, the bolt handle bent to clear, and the safety altered to clear the scope.

If you can't do the work yourself, a new Savage or Remington would cost you less than paying for all that gunsmithing on a hundred year old surplus rifle.
Old February 3, 2009, 01:04 AM   #4
jckeffer

I too own a Spanish mauser of similar age - identified here on the Firingline a while ago. On the advice of some of the more knowledgeable members I took it to a reputable gunsmith (Daniel W Cowen Riflesmith, Renton WA) He guaged the chamber and discovered it was unsafe to shoot. I'd also looked into replacing the barrel but in his opinion this was probably not a good option. According to him, the Spanish mauser of that era had receivers made of relatively soft steel. The chances of removing the barrel without damaging the receiver were quite slim.
Old February 3, 2009, 04:05 AM   #5
Hawg

Some of the 1916's were arsenal rechambered to .308. I had one and it was stamped .308 near the muzzle. The steel in them is soft and it won't handle anything hotter than a factory loaded .308 and hold up for long. Unless you want to spend some serious bucks making a sporter that won't be worth half what you put into it forget about it.
Old February 3, 2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Dustin0

Thanks for the help. I think i will trade it off.
Old February 3, 2009, 10:19 AM   #7
F. Guffey

small ring/small shank, large ring/large shank, small ring/large shank, large ring/small shank are possible combinations, the small shank barrel is available in 30/06 and 308 (7.62 NATO) Winchester for the large ring/small shank Turkish M38 Mauser only, not all Turk M38 type rifles are large ring/small shank, some are large ring/large shank.

F. Guffey
Old February 9, 2009, 03:38 PM   #8
dutchy

Back in the eighties, cheap .308 nato spanish surplus rifles flooded the market.
I chose a swedish mauser, because the spanish mauser were not admitted in official competition due to their post WWII calibre.
One fellow in the club however bought one. Dead cheap, nice reblued and excellent stock, albeit a little short. The thing kicked like a mule, but was very accurate. much more accurate than I expected.
So at least here in Holland the experience in .308 Nato was good.