The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 11, 2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Fishing_Cabin

H.R.2277 - To eliminate the sporting purposes distinction in the gun laws.

Just found this....It looks interesting though it is to soon to tell how much of a hope it has.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr2277

It shows at least there is some level of interest with some elected reps in removing more restrictions. I will be contacting my rep and asking for their support.

Discussion point being, I am curious if this will actually have a chance of passing, or if its just more of a talking point?
Old June 11, 2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

No cosponsors as of yet. Text is here, and you can voice your support for it at PopVox.

The "sporting purposes" language has been used to ban the sale and import of several guns, most notably the Striker-12 and its variants, based on somewhat overbroad criteria:

Quote:
In determining whether a particular rifle or shotgun is suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes within the meaning of the statute, ATF generally relies upon an analysis of the physical features of the firearm. Determinations regarding the classification of a specific rifle or shotgun are made on a case-by-case basis using criteria that includes the overall appearance, length, weight, receiver or frame design and construction, designed magazine capacity, configuration and the presence of various physical characteristics designed for military and law enforcement application that distinguish the sample rifle or shotgun from traditional sporting firearms. (See e.g., ATF Rul. 94-1, 94-2, 95-3).
Old June 11, 2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Webleymkv

It might pass the House, but I rather doubt it could make it through the Senate. Even if it did make it through congress, it wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hades of being signed by the current President (nor probably any of the Presidents for the last 50 years).
Old June 11, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Armorer-at-Law

I believe Ron Paul has proposed this bill every year since he's been in Congress.
Old June 11, 2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
I believe Ron Paul has proposed this bill every year since he's been in Congress.
Great man.

I can only wish to see this pass. I've never understood how the Striker or SPAS has been functionally aversive to safety in comparison to a Mossberg 590 (maybe than using more expensive parts haha).
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old June 13, 2013, 03:10 AM   #6
press1280

It could only pass by being attached to another piece of legislation.
Old June 13, 2013, 06:19 AM   #7
csmsss

Whether it passes or not, it is not a bad idea to remind everyone (both pro and anti-gun) how fallacious the "sporting" use/purpose test is in any gun legislation. Our 2nd amendment rights are not predicated on sporting activities and neither should any legislation or executive statutes restrict the use or importation thereof.