The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Mixed powder loads

I am not advocating nor have I ever tried this. I am wondering if there are any mixed powder loads. Something like using trailboss to fill the space and power pistol for the power in a cartridge. Has anyone ever tried it? Is there any posted data known? Is there any reason to do such a thing?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 21, 2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

You're asking about duplexing.

It's not for your average reloader.

Small changes to one of the powders in a duplex charge can be HUGE differences in internal ballistics.

Most duplex loads are brewed up for one specific case/primer/bullet combination for one specific firearm.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 21, 2013, 11:20 AM   #3
CleanDean

I just now see an image. It is a cartoon balloon above a (reloader) novice's head.
The robot, from "LOST IN SPACE"....saying.......''Danger, Danger, Will ROBINSON."
FNH Scar 17 s --Black ; cause it goes so well with my formal wear, for those special occasions. Customized Mini 14 ,& ATI stock and a 3.5 lb.-- Pittsburgh trigger. / SIG P227 / Colt Python 8 in.Nickel / Colt Gold Cup N.M. ; Voere * KDF in .270 ; N. frame S&W revolvers; and TC Contender in 41 Magnum .
Old June 21, 2013, 11:48 AM   #4
BoogieMan

Quote:
I just now see an image. It is a cartoon balloon above a (reloader) novice's head.
The robot, from "LOST IN SPACE"....saying.......''Danger, Danger, Will ROBINSON."
Im not advocating it or even considering trying it. To date I have used 2 powders in 2 cartridges. For the sake of conversation I wanted to know if its been done or if there was a reason to try it.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 21, 2013, 11:59 AM   #5
dahermit

It has been done, but the kicker is, there is no good reason for 99.9% of handloaders ever to do it. The .1% are those with the proper ballistic equipment to do so. But even that begs the question: "Why"?
Old June 21, 2013, 12:02 PM   #6
chiefr

If you want to fill the space in between, there is plenty of info on dacron and other waddings in reloading manuals.

Mixing powders is dangerous.
Old June 21, 2013, 01:18 PM   #7
BigJimP

No, its too dangerous to try something like that..../ There is really no way to predict what might happen...with any degree of certainty in my opinion.

---- and there is no practical reason to do it...

There are powders that work well with low volume charges in large volume cases ( like TiteGroup in .44 Mag ).....
Old June 21, 2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Rangefinder

Duplex loading is used wen a primary powder is an extremely slow-burning/difficult to ignite powder in a large-capacity case. A light charge of fast powder is compressed against the flash-hole (usually in the neighborhood of .5-1 grain) to act as a "supercharged primer". These types of loadings are not only uncommon, but extremely dangerous in anything but expert hands. If you aren't already very familiar with the practice, you aren't anywhere NEAR experimenting with it.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old June 22, 2013, 08:38 AM   #9
JerryM

I recall Elmer Keith writing about his duplex loads in the OKH cartridges. He even soldered or welded tubes inside the cartridge cases so that the fire from the primer would get to the top. He put faster burning powder at the top, and then the slower powders. He claimed some velocities that I don't really believe. None were chronographed.

I cannot imagine the trouble and problems with doing such things, but that is what experimenters do. They give us some good ideas also, and more power to them.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 22, 2013, 11:12 AM   #10
snuffy

First off, the powders are not MIXED! They are layered. The fast pistol/shotshell powder is held at the bottom of the case, tight against the powder. Then the main charge is dropped in, it is a 100% density load, sometimes a compressed load. So the fast powder can't move/mix with the slow powder.

Common application is when using surplus ultra slow cannon type powder in magnum cartridges like 300 win mag. WC-870 was used for the vulcan 20 mm. While using it alone can work with really heavy 30 cal. bullets 200+, it works much better with a booster charge of fast powder under it.

Even with my 50 years of reloading experience, I'm scared to try it! Without a pressure testing set-up, you'd be stumbling around in the dark. I like to shoot my rifles, NOT WEAR them.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 22, 2013, 01:24 PM   #11
buck460XVR

BoogieMan....as other's have said, Duplex loading is something that is done, but not by the average handloader, nor is it just to fill the case. If you are concerned about low volume powders, there are many other options out there for powders that give similar performance with more volume as opposed to experimenting with "duplex" loads. Most folks that use powders with low charge weights do it because of the economics, i.e. getting more rounds outta a pound of similar priced powder, and not because of performance. A prime example would be Unique and 2400 when used in .44mag. Both powders cost about the same per pound, but one can get twice as many similarly performing mid range rounds outta a pound of Unique than 2400. If one shoots thousands of mid range .44 rounds every year, one is talking about getting 700 rounds per pound as opposed to 350 rounds. The savings can be quite significant. But to me, the hassle and dangers involved in trying to duplex loads would not be worth the cost savings vs using a higher volume powder.
Old June 22, 2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Marco Califo

Quote:
Common application is when using surplus ultra slow cannon type powder in magnum cartridges like 300 win mag. WC-870 was used for the vulcan 20 mm. While using it alone can work with really heavy 30 cal. bullets 200+, it works much better with a booster charge of fast powder under it.
Yes, I have done this after many years of reloading. The results were OK, but without a chronograph, there is still too much guess work. I am taking a break from it until I have access to a chrono. Anyway, I got an elk tag this year, so, I am sticking with 165-180 gr 308 with conventional (single powder) loads, exclusively until 2014.

To reiterate what others have said, you have no reason to even think about doing this. Not unless you already knew and understood what everyone here is saying. But in that case, you would not have asked this question, at least not with starting by telling us what you want to do, and why you want to, as well as why you even think it makes any sense.