The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 8, 2009, 03:05 PM   #1
roxxy129

Stoeger o/u condor

I purchased my son a 12 ga. condor o/u and the gun was shipped with screwin chokes. The chokes have no markings on them just 4 grooves or hash marks on the upper edge. What choke would this be?
Old May 8, 2009, 04:08 PM   #2
rwking

CHOKES

I don't have my onwers manual anymore but in the back sections it tells you what choke has how many marks. The best thing to do though is to run out and get some better ones that what the factory purhcased.
Old May 8, 2009, 04:23 PM   #3
zippy13

Typically, 4 tell notches indicates a skeet choke. This would make sense if they are both marked the same since skeet guns are one of the few configurations that use the same choke for both barrels. But, you never can tell with Stoeger
Old May 8, 2009, 04:33 PM   #4
oneounceload

Was 4 for skeet or IC? Now you got me guessing - I thought 5 was skeet, 4 IC, 3 M, 2 IM and 1 F

but, then, I've been wrong before.........
Old May 8, 2009, 08:23 PM   #5
roy reali

Warning, Warning, Warning!!!

Please don't fire your Stoeger Shotgun. Firing one might cause the formation of a mushroom cloud and destroy countless lives. I know this for a fact. Two buddies of mone met their end this way. No need to thank me for this warning.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:00 PM   #6
zippy13

1-oz
Quote:
Was 4 for skeet or IC? Now you got me guessing - I thought 5 was skeet, 4 IC, 3 M, 2 IM and 1 F
Might is....
I was going from memory not Stoeger gospel. IMHO, some of the entry level gun makers don't make a hard and fast distinction between skeet and imp cyl chokes (neither do their patterns )
Also, to add to the confusion, don't some makers use no mark for full? Briley may have it somewhere at his site, but I didn't find it.
Old May 9, 2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's no Universal Law of Choke Markings on a Tablet of Stone anywhere.

Each maker has its own set of markings. Usually, the more marks, the less choke.

Only the Patterning Board can tell you with certainty what a given choke and load will do.