The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 05:46 PM   #1
jasmith85

I drank the koolaid and I think it was poisoned.

After shooting my brother's Gen 3 Glock 21 I decided it was time to drink the koolaid, so I bought a Gen 3 Glock 21 last month and really enjoy the gun. It shoots great, feels good, and unlike my Sigs I don't cringe if I ding it. It had a problem with throwing the brass back in my face but I figured that would go away after a few hundred rounds. With the way ammunition is right now I haven't been able to find a lot of 45 to run through it to test this theory though. Altogether I've only been able to fire a hundred rounds through it so far. I didn't count the first 50 but of the 50 rounds I put through it earlier today, 23 hit me.

Fast forward to last week and I bought a Gen 4 Glock 19 for my fiancee. When we went to buy her a gun she chose it because she thought it looked like a smaller version of my 21. She apparently picked a gun too much like my 21 because it has almost the same problem. The only difference is where my 21 throws the brass high in the air and it drops on my head, the 19 throws the brass almost straight back. I even had a few casing land and stick on my shirt sleeve less than a foot behind the gun. Together we put 150 rounds through the 19 earlier today and of the 100 I fired 60-something (I lost count) of the casings either hit me or landed on the ground behind the gun but in front of me.

Is there a break in period for Glocks and at some point this will go away or did I just get unlucky enough to get two bad guns? I had read all of the complaints about these issues in the guns but had assumed they were rare. I had also read they were only in Gen 4's and my 21 is a Gen 3. I guess the main thing that I'm wondering is should I just put more rounds through them and see what happens or is this a problem I won't be getting rid of?
Old February 16, 2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Not necessarily a bad thing

Frankly, I like a gun that would drop its brass in a nice, neat little pile. (I reload.)

I have no Glocks, but I do have several semi-automatic handguns.

I have a Coonan that throws brass straight to the right.

A Colt Officer's Model 45 ACP that throws brass straight up so that it lands in front of the firing line or atop my head (for this, I simply wear a hat as a solution).

9mm Taurus that has no pattern at all, it just goes every which way from 2 o'clock to 6 o'clock.

Other 45 ACP guns that throw a narrower pattern, but every one is different.

Over several years of shooting, the guns have not changed their habits, so I don't think your Glocks will alter their ejection patterns much over time.

The Good News

You may be able to change the ejection pattern by a little judicious re-shaping of the extractor or ejector. But I would not try this until I had purchased a replacement extractor or ejector. Or several, it is likely to be trial and error process. I hope someone else comes up with a way to predict the adjustments needed for adjusting the pattern. I never felt the need to go to the effor.

I just wear a (brimmed if necessary) hat, shirt with a collar and sleeves with no openings at the wrists.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old February 16, 2013, 06:02 PM   #3
TxFlyFish

whats the test fire date of the glocks
Old February 16, 2013, 06:08 PM   #4
jasmith85

Quote:
whats the test fire date of the glocks
The Glock 21's test fire date is 01/03/2013 and the 19 is 01/30/2013 so both are very recent.
Old February 16, 2013, 06:19 PM   #5
TxFlyFish

jasmith85 thats really unsettling to hear especially given the age of these guns. These should have all the newest fixes in them and shouldn't be an issue of break in. You can 1) try feeding different ammo 2) swap in apex parts 3) send it back to glock. Since you're experiencing this with 2013 guns it very might be an option #3

what you have is a gangsta glock prototype meant to be eject properly when shot sideways
Old February 16, 2013, 06:40 PM   #6
SR420

Wear a tactical sombrero, it's super stylish and doubles as a brass catcher
Old February 16, 2013, 06:54 PM   #7
jasmith85

Quote:
Wear a tactical sombrero, it's super stylish and doubles as a brass catcher
The sad thing is that would actually work with the 21 with as high as it throws the brass.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:11 PM   #8
tahunua001

no, it's jsut new production glock.
they invested a lot of time and money to have their slogan "perfection" copyrighted so there is no reason for them to ever fix a recurring problem with their stuff, if you call glock customer service, they will tell you that both of your guns are recall compliant and that anything they send you will not fix the problem...

enjoy the koolaid...I think someone's been forgetting the sugar...
Old February 16, 2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Deja vu

Quote:
I have a Coonan that throws brass straight to the right.
My Coonan throws brass a good 25 yards to the back and a little to the right with a few odd balls that go forward about 5 yards and up really high.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 16, 2013, 08:55 PM   #10
tynman

Try using diffrent ammo and you can even try diffrent grains too. Then see what happens. If that doesnt work then call glock and see what they say it cant hurt.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:59 PM   #11
pat701

I picked up a gen4 21 the day after Sandy Hook test fire date 22 Oct 12. Mine also has IMHO weak ejection!! I fired 250rds Estate 230gr H.B. brass case at an out door range. No malfunctions of any sort just weak ejection. My 21 had 20 BTF, also plenty of brass running just down my hands and forearms. The 21 ejects brass 2-3 feet to my 3-4 O'Clock. I have a 22 pistol that ejects 8 feet, and this is a 45acp.
What is considered "normal ejection " for a Glock 21????? I have asked this question on many other forums and yet to get an answer as to normal ejection. This is my first Glock, and last Glock!!
Old February 16, 2013, 09:08 PM   #12
SHE3PDOG

I have a GLOCK 23 that was test fired on August 3, 2012 that shoots the brass clear over my right shoulder every time; it has never once hit my face. That being said, I have shot a GLOCK 19 (not sure what the test fire date was because it was a rental) that launched brass at my face nearly every round as well. Maybe its just a luck of the draw thing and you just got really unlucky.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 16, 2013, 09:09 PM   #13
thealex

no prob

It will break in after a few hundred rounds and eat everything and anything. Posers are mad because their guns dont shoot as well and cost more.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:14 PM   #14
Walt Sherrill

Try different ammo. Chances are it'll behave differently.

Or have a gunsmith tweak the ejector, so that when the base of cartridge hits it, the ejector will hit it at a slightly different angle and cause the case to take off in a different direction.

If you don't want do that, talk with Glock about the problem -- they may even have someone nearby who can help.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Uncle Malice

Sorry to hear about the problems man. You can try some different ammo if you can find some.

That's not that common of a problem. My Gen4 19, Gen4 21, Gen4 20, and Gen3 17 all eject normally - and all except the G20(got it yesterday, shot it today) have quite a few rounds through them. Probably around 4k on the 17, 2k on the 21, 1k on the 19.

You're not limp wristing, right? I've heard of this happening when people limp wrist... but I'm not sure. My 5'1" 127lb wife shoots the 19 and 21 just fine with proper ejection - and she doesn't really care about shooting, but she will when we go out with friends or something.

Worst case, give Glock a call. I imagine it's something that they can take care of if necessary.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:03 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Is this a gen 4 problem? The only Glock I have is a gen 3 20sf. No prblem with me getting hit with the brass, but If there is anybody shooting near me I make sure they "stay to the left". It throws the brass to the next county unless it hits somebody next to me.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 16, 2013, 10:24 PM   #17
chris in va

My 21sf dropped all the cases to my right. Glock has a fix for the head pingers, give them a call.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:03 PM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
That's not that common of a problem.
That's not what a Google search will reveal...

Both the new Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glock 19 I've owned did this. The old, beat up (literally the grip is missing a chunk) Gen 2 at the public range never does this. Lots of "fixes" can be found online.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 16, 2013, 11:32 PM   #19
pat701

IMHO you shouldn't have to do a fix or modification to a NIB firearm. But maybe i am too old school just my opinion.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:05 AM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

My gen 3's have never done this, I've had / still own Glock 27, 34, 21, 30, 17, 22...all perfect.

My only problematic one was the gen 4 19. Which I had to sell. It had the all up to date parts to "fix" the issue of ejecting brass at my forehead and it would still do so.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:09 AM   #21
TxFlyFish

I'm guessing this will have to back to glock and maybe for multiple trips if you do find out that ammo is not the culprit. It's not just a simple swap for updated parts

Who wants to sign up for road trip to Smyrna? I hear they got good freebies
Old February 17, 2013, 12:51 AM   #22
tahunua001

Quote:
Posers are mad because their guns don't shoot as well and cost more.
I'll remember that when I get another perfect score with my SR9C in a navy qualification battery without a single piece of brass to the face. costs $150 less than your average glock too.

if you would have actually read most of the posts here, you would have seen that most of the people complaining of glocks messing up are in fact glock owners. your post does nothing but goad other members into confrontation and has little relevant data to the discussion at hand.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:10 AM   #23
Nanuk

The more I think about this the more I think it may be a timing issue. All the people that experience it tried extractors, which simply extract the casing from the chamber. The ejector is what actually tosses the round. The consensus of the experts is that all Glocks but the 9mm's are undersprung. With that in mind i would try a heavier recoil spring.

With 1911's and AR's it is timing that causes this problem, if I remember correctly.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:38 AM   #24
FALPhil

Quote:
I'll remember that when I get another perfect score with my SR9C in a navy qualification battery without a single piece of brass to the face. costs $150 less than your average glock too.
Tahunua, you crack me up!! Perfection indeed. I don't have a dog in this fight, but it makes for interesting reading.

Quote:
With 1911's and AR's it is timing that causes this problem, if I remember correctly.
While timing can affect odd ejection in a 1911, the larger factors are ejector geometry, extractor shape and tension, and recoil spring strength. I have tuned my full size 1911s so that I get a neat little pile at 3:30 about 4 feet away.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:09 AM   #25
AndyWest

I'll confess ignorance here, but I'm having trouble picturing how a Glock could eject to the face. The extractor is on the side, and the slide just doesn't go back far enough for the angle between the ejector and slide opening to be enough to throw brass anywhere but up and right.... Wow that was an ugly sentence.

Are we maybe talking about brass bouncing off range stall walls?