The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 7, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
breakingcontact

Best gun to practice with?

Is it best to practice with a gun that's easier to shoot well or practice with your carry gun?

What I'm getting at is...is it easier to transfer the skills over to the carry gun from a gun that's easier to learn on or is it best to just good with what you carry?

I try to stick with a "train to fight" mentality and want to shoot the gun I carry mostly. But sometimes I think of training on a different gun. Don't want to do myself a disservice and pick up habits that won't transfer over.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:20 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

It depends what you are training for. For trigger control and basic marksmanship? Use a .22 lr. For training for malfunction drills, use something with the same manual of arms as your carry gun for sure, but also train some with your actual carry gun.

Practicing for defensive shooting? Use the gun that you would likely have on you if you were to find yourself in such a situation.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old February 7, 2013, 03:26 PM   #3
DMK

I don't know. I have a lot of different handguns with different manual of arms for each. (1911s, revolvers, double action autos). Some have safeties, some don't. Some have heel catch mag releases (I hate those), some have thumb mag releases.

I never get confused. When I shoot a gun and have a jam, I know exactly where to drop the mag and when to to tap rack bang the autos. It's second nature regardless of the gun.

Maybe if I just shot one gun lot and the others not so much it might get confusing....
Old February 7, 2013, 03:28 PM   #4
breakingcontact

I'm basically talking a about a full size vs a sub compact. Both centerfire. Not talking about training w a 22 here.

Interesting question just popped up. Is one more likely to have to defend themselves on the street or at home? (All other things being equal)
Old February 7, 2013, 04:13 PM   #5
allaroundhunter

Generally, a home invasion is more likely, statistically speaking.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old February 7, 2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Mr_Jumper

I have similar dilemma. I shoot well with my CZ 75B, shoot OK with my carry piece PX4 compact.

I tend to shoot both guns when I'm at the range and usually I shoot PX4 better after I've shot CZ. I just seem to have better trigger control and frame of mind after I've seen the good results with CZ. I like to be proficient with both as I use CZ for home protection/range while PX4 compact for carry/self protection.

For the time being, as I shoot better controlled with PX4 after I had my session with CZ, I keep this pattern and it seems to work for me.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:04 PM   #7
breakingcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter View Post
Generally, a home invasion is more likely, statistically speaking.

Sent from my HTC One X
That is interesting. I should try to find the #s for my location. I'm sure that data has errors with reporting as well.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:35 PM   #8
allaroundhunter

I say generally, because it does depend on where you are when you are out and about, and where your home is (obviously). Like in the Austin area, chances are higher that you will have a confrontation if you are out on 6th street on Friday or Saturday night than if you are at your home in Westlake.

The general statistics that I am thinking of just calculate the crime rate when someone is not at home and when they are home, and do not take into account where they live and so on.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:50 PM   #9
BigJimP

Training - in general, I think you should train with a platform that is identical to what you carry ....so if you carry a 5" 1911 --- then practice primarily with a 5" 1911...

but I will practice with a 9mm 5" 1911 ...about 70% of the time / and shoot the same gun in a .45 acp( my primary carry gun) the other 30% of the time...and while the recoil is different...the fit, feel, controls, mags, holster, mag pouch, triggers, sights, etc on my 2 guns are identical because they're made by the same company ..and I spec'd them the same when I ordered them several yrs ago.
-------------
Will your skills transfer between a sub-compact vs a full size...maybe, maybe not....put yourself on a timer, and some drills ( from the holster, double taps, reloads, etc ) ....and record your hits and times and see how you do.
-------------
Statistics on where, or if, you'll need a gun ....in my view, its a one in a gazillion chance that you'll ever need a gun - especially if you're smart, aware of where you are, aren't in an area where you don't belong at bad times of night, etc....good neighborhoods still have issues / bad neighborhoods do too...that's why we train/especially if we make the decision to carry a concealed handgun..../ but hardly any of us, in my view, will ever draw a weapon.....hopefully !
Old February 7, 2013, 06:28 PM   #10
ScotchMan

"Best", there is no question; train with the gun you carry. To take it a step further, train with the gun and the ammo that you carry.

The ammo part can get expensive, so I get that. I don't get training with a completely different gun (unless it is a duplicate). Sure, guns can be similar, parts of the training can carry over; hell, ultimately ability to shoot well transfers to any gun, even long guns. But, unless your carry gun is so fragile you are afraid of round count, why not shoot the best choice which is the same one you carry?

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old February 7, 2013, 06:38 PM   #11
BigJimP

I think you can shoot "similar" ammo ....not "defensive ammo" for practice....it would be way past "expensive" if you practice 6 or 8 boxes a week...

I carry 230gr Hydra Shok hollow points in my carry gun ....but I practice with 230gr RN jacketed ammo..( at about $8 for a box of 50 rds - my reloads with a premium bullet.. ) ...where Hydra Shok ammo is about $ 1.25 a round ( or $ 62.50 for a 50 round box )...

a similar grain bullet...is just fine for practice. Handgun skills 'erode' quickly - so I think its important to get to your local range, with at least a box or so, once a week....personally I do more than that - because I reload, have a lot of down time, and I like shooting....
Old February 7, 2013, 06:43 PM   #12
ScotchMan

Quote:
I think you can shoot "similar" ammo ....not "defensive ammo" for practice....it would be way past "expensive" if you practice 6 or 8 boxes a week...

I carry 230gr Hydra Shok hollow points in my carry gun ....but I practice with 230gr RN jacketed ammo..( at about $8 for a box of 50 rds - my reloads with a premium bullet.. ) ...where Hydra Shok ammo is about $ 1.25 a round ( or $ 62.50 for a 50 round box )...

a similar grain bullet...is just fine for practice. Handgun skills 'erode' quickly - so I think its important to get to your local range, with at least a box or so, once a week....personally I do more than that - because I reload, have a lot of down time, and I like shooting....
I totally agree. I was just keying off the word "best". "Best" would be in a perfect world where Hydra-Shoks grew on trees. I too practice with FMJ ammo that I reload, not defense rounds.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old February 7, 2013, 06:46 PM   #13
BigJimP

ok, that makes more sense...we agree...