The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 16, 2002, 11:17 AM   #1
Tacp

Barrel movement

I have noticed a lot of variance in the amount of front to rear movement of the barrel on 1911's when the slide is locked backed.I looked at a Springfield and there was barely any movement while other guns and brands vary from very little to at least 1/4". >>Seem this can cause FTF if excesive. How much is acceptable and would an oversize link help??
Old May 16, 2002, 11:33 AM   #2
C.R.Sam

If it locks up solidly when in battery I wouldn't fret about it.

In battery should be solid in all directions. Fore n aft, up n down, side to side.

Sam

Nikita Khrushchev predicted confidently in a speech in Bucharest, Rumania on June 19, 1962 that: " The United States will eventually fly the Communist Red Flag...the American people will hoist it themselves."
Old May 16, 2002, 03:50 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The worst I ever saw was a Llama. With the slide locked back, the barrel flopped 1/4 inch from side to side and bounced up and down almost as much. In battery, the barrel could still be moved from side to side and up and down. The link had a huge hole, almost twice the size of the slide stop, and the barrel lugs showed plenty of signs of "hand fitting" to let the whole mess sort of work. (The lockwork too was a hand-filed mess, but that is not the topic here.)

Jim
Old May 17, 2002, 10:41 AM   #4
Tacp

movement>>Jim

How did it feed or did it?I have a Charles Daly that has very little side movement but back and forth is at least 1/4".It has slight nicks in top of ramp from cartridge hitting it.It feeds hardball ok but hollowpoints are ifffy. >Very slight downward movement in battery.
Old May 17, 2002, 06:57 PM   #5
johnwill

IMO, the movement in battery is by far the most important parameter, what it does out of battery won't affect accuracy, though in extreme cases it could affect feeding.
Old May 17, 2002, 07:28 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Tacp,

Strangely enough, in spite of, or maybe because of, all the slop, it functioned fine and accepted a bunch of odd ammo I had laying around. Trouble was that 25 yard groups off a rest ran about 18 inches. The owner paid a lot for it because he liked the looks. When he found he couldn't get any accuracy, he asked me to see if I could "tune" it, or maybe even replace the barrel.

I first test fired it (to see if it was the gun or the shooter) with the results above. Then, I tore it down and told him that they made oversize 1911 type barrels, but not THAT oversize, and that there was no feasible repair for the gun. He finally unloaded it, so if you are in MD and see a nice looking Omni for sale, run, do not walk, to the nearest exit.

Jim
Old May 20, 2002, 12:01 PM   #7
Tacp

Barrel movevement

Thanks all,I am going to try once more with different hollowpoints,if still having trouble I will either return to CD or sell .Let you know tomorrow.
Old May 21, 2002, 02:17 PM   #8
Tacp

Well,it fed a few230 Golden Sabers and afew WW 230 HP.I did not have many of these and the range does not have a lot of selection.It work fine with almost a full box of WW range ammo.For the first time,the hammer either followed the slide to half-cock or it stopped there when I pulled the trigger.I really did not notice.This happened twice. Think I will try a couple more times then decide what to do,meanwhile I'll be looking .