The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2008, 07:50 AM   #1
iblong

powder opinions wanted

Anyone using Blue Dot in a 357 Mag.
Im testing some loads with blue dot and was looking for some input as to preformance speer says 10.2 is max under a 158gr. but have seen 10.7 in others.Ive loaded slowly to the 10.2 and have seen no pressure signs.Im loading for a GP100.I know theres better powder like 2400 ect. but I use a lot of blue dot in my 223 and I was hopping to use it as a dual purposse powder.Opinions please.
Thanks,Bob
Old October 21, 2008, 09:29 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

I have an opinion (I don't do rifle)

I no longer use Blue Dot for ANYTHING other than certain very specific applications in the 10mm case.

I have two GP100s; what is your goal for this load?
What bullet, specifically, do you intend to use?
What primer, specifically?

I may have some thoughts.....
Old October 21, 2008, 09:38 AM   #3
zxcvbob

I tried Blue Dot in .357 and didn't like it -- too much leading, and I got case head separations when I pushed it a little (OK, I pushed it a lot.) I bought a couple of jugs of that surplus AA-7 and I get the same performance as Blue Dot without the leading, and the AA-7 measures better and seems less temperamental.

I used up all my Blue Dot in .45 Colt +P loads (it does those just fine) and I don't think I'll be buying it again.
Old October 21, 2008, 09:59 AM   #4
DMZX

Quote:
temperamental.
That is a good word to describe Blue Dot.

My one and only reloading incident involved Blue Dot in a .44 Mag case, over 20 years ago. I have not used it since then.
Old October 21, 2008, 10:01 AM   #5
nate45

It looks like you would be OK with up to 12 grains of Blue Dot and the 158 grain bullet, but you are doing the right thing and slowly working up.

I have a can of Blue Dot, but have never used it for the .357 Mag, I prefer slower burning powders that fill the case. I used to use 2400, but now almost exclisivly use H-110/Win 296 for loading the .357, ever now and again I'll use some LiL'Gun.

I use 16.6 grains of H-110/296 with the 158 grain XTP and CCI-550 primer for a nice full magnum load. H-110/296 burns much cleaner than 2400.
Old October 21, 2008, 11:53 AM   #6
iblong

WEESHOOT2,Sd and possible deer hunting close range.hornady xtp.

Last edited by iblong; October 21, 2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old October 21, 2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Bogie

I hate loading for .45ACP... Why?

With most of the powders out there, a double charge will fit in the case.

I like a powder that fills the darn case, so that if I screw up, it is immediately apparent.

If you're getting leading, that means you're getting velocity. Try gas check bullets.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 22, 2008, 01:39 PM   #8
shepherddogs

I've used plenty of Blue Dot for .357. I have had good luck with it. I still use the data from the Speer #10 manual. The upper loads are pretty hot. I wouldn't push your luck. If you need more power get a 44 Mag.
Old October 24, 2008, 03:14 PM   #9
Erich

I got horrifying results using the max charge of Blue Dot from the Speer # 10 for a 158-gr JSP in a .357 - wildly erratic spreads, red-shifting velocities, and the cases had to be extracted with a mallet. In two different guns. I later became friends with a fellow in an adjoining state who had the exact same experience with this loading.

Now I've got 90 of the loaded rounds to pull bullets on. Maybe one of these years.

Blue Dot has again and again proven to me that it's great at doing medium-to-warm loads in magnum rounds, but I've just heard way too many stories of it getting jake-y at the top end. My friend who owns a bullet and powder company tells me that he hears more of these, "Oh man, you aren't going to believe what happened with this load I was working up," stories about Blue Dot than any other powder.

YMMV . . .
Old October 25, 2008, 12:11 AM   #10
HoraceHogsnort

My experience with Blue Dot is that it is very DIRTY!! I shot one box of reloads and gave the rest away to a guy who reloads for his shotguns.
Old October 25, 2008, 10:56 AM   #11
drail

If you are getting leading the usual problems are the bullet alloy is too hard and the bullet is not obturating (swelling) and sealing the barrel allowing gas to escape around and melt the outside of the bullet. Or the lead is just pure soft lead (swaged). Or the bullet is undersized for your bore dia. and not sealing and allowing gas around it. If you can drive a soft lead bullet through your barrel and measure it you can determine if it the correct size. Blue dot is a useful propellant but as stated above you have to really watch out if you load up to max. The pressure curve can climb really quick. I used to load 125 gr JHP with 16 gr. blue dot (load from Speer manual) and really trashed the forcing cone of a GP 100. Didn't take long. Huge fireball. Youthful stupid fun.
Old October 28, 2008, 08:18 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

forgive the delay

For high-velocity 357 Magnum ammo: H110, W296, AA9, N110, others (in this order).
CCI550 or Federal 200.
New sized cases (any).
All bullets.

Recommend finishing with the Redding Profile Crimp Die; it can aid velocity deviations, and can improve accuracy.
Old October 28, 2008, 01:15 PM   #13
Scorch

Like most really slow powders, Blue Dot does best with heavy bullets. Pushing a 125 gr bullet at 1800 fps sounds like a lot of fun, but you will not get the results you are looking for.

Like most magnum powders, Blue Dot is not designed for use with lead bullets, the flame temperature is too high. Try Unique for hot cast bullet loads in a 357.

Like most magnum powders, Blue Dot is not intended for low-pressure laods, as it will not burn completely (some folks call this "dirty", but it is not). Light loads and light bullet loads will not develop the pressure required for Blue Dot to burn properly.

Like most low-bulk powders, it is possible to double-charge cases that take a small charge of a given powder to achieve a given velocity. Use a bulkier powder like Unique or Universal for 45 ACP.

There is nothing wrong with Blue Dot, but it is not a powder to be used by reloaders who are throwing loads together without following a reloading manual's recommendations. Its pressure curve is very short, and even a small variation when you are at (or above) max will cause a great pressure increase.

There are many other powders that are far more forgiving than Blue Dot. However, it is one of my favorite powders for a 44 Mag due to its ability to achieve high velocity without a lot of muzzle flash.
Old October 28, 2008, 01:35 PM   #14
Jimbo-Indy

I use Blue Dot in my bowling pin load for my 6" GP-100
My load is 10.4 gr. Blue Dot, 158 gr. Rainier flat nose plated bullet and CCI small pistol primer. Crono's about 1250 fps from mine. This is listed as the upper end in my Lee manual.
My son has also used these in his '94 Trapper carbine and they worked well.
As always, your results may vary. Work up to any load.
Also use Blue Dot in my 44 mag (Super Blackhawk) with Rainier 240 gr. plated hollowpoint. Not sure of the charge, 12.5 gr. I THINK, NOT SURE. Don't push the Rainier plated bullets too hard or the plating could peel off. I'm stil trying to get all the copper chunks out of the 357 Max. Dumb idea!. The 1250 range seem to work well in the GP-100.
Old October 28, 2008, 04:49 PM   #15
AlaskaMike

Blue Dot was one of the powders I first tried when I started reloading, and I was pretty excited about it because from looking at the different manuals, it appeared it gave better velocity than a lot of powders in its burning speed range, particularly in .45 ACP.

I quit using it because it's just way too erratic at higher pressures. I've still got a bunch of rounds using 158 grain SWCs over 10.2 grains of it, and they shoot well enough for a midrange load in my model 28. However there are so many other powders out there that are better for midrange .357 loads, my personal opinion is that there's no reason to put up with the goofy quirks of Blue Dot.

How are you using Blue Dot in .223? Is it with cast bullets, or are you making up reduced velocity load with jacketed bullets? I know that some are very happy with Blue Dot in cast bullet rifle loads.

Mike
Old October 29, 2008, 06:36 AM   #16
iblong

AlaskaMike
Im using it with several different jacketed bullets from 40 to 55gr.
It has become my favorite powder for the 223. it turns my rifle into a very versitile tool I can run it to 22mag,hornet,218, ect. al the way up to about
3300 fps,They are reduced velocity loads not always reduced pressure loads.
I find I get excellant accuracy at all velocity and its very clean.If Im hunting where Ill be shooting over 200yds I use other powders.But thats not often.
You do need to work up slowly and watch for pessure .This Is why Im trying to find a good load for the 357 using it.Powder consolidation.
Bob.
Old October 29, 2008, 03:13 PM   #17
Gnarly

.357 Mag powder

I agree with nate45 et al.

I believe if you try W296 powder in your .357 Mag.,you'll throw rocks at anything else!

----Gnarly
Old October 29, 2008, 05:21 PM   #18
amamnn

If you like the reduced perceived recoil of powders faster than the likes of Lil Gun, you might try HS-6, which I find to be cleaner and less finicky than any color dot.
Old October 29, 2008, 05:26 PM   #19
AlaskaMike

Quote:
This Is why Im trying to find a good load for the 357 using it.Powder consolidation.
I'd go with about 10 grains of Blue Dot then. Maybe start at 9.5 and work up.

Mike
Old October 30, 2008, 06:01 AM   #20
iblong

I did start at 9.5 and worked up to 10.2 so far no pressure signs.
This is with Win cases,win.spm primers,Hornady 158gr.hp xtp Not sure I should go any further using mag primers.I do not have a chrony so I can only speculate as to my velocity.Accuracy is pretty good at 25 yrds.
I am hoping to fill one of my doe tags with the Gp but Im not sure if this load has enough umph to get the job done. Speer #14 says this is a max load, Shots will be at bow ranges and the 12 with rifled barrel will be along for longer shots or if the big boy stumbles by.
Bob.
Old November 11, 2008, 06:43 PM   #21
progcoder

Alliant recently updated their Reloaders Guide and has really trimmed back their Blue Dot listings for many of their loads.

This is the current listing for .357 Magnum using Blue Dot...

158gr Speer GDHP - 10.2gr Blue Dot (max) - 1188fps

Sierra's Reloading Manual always shows much higher loads for many of their cartridges including .357 Magnum and Blue Dot...

158gr Sierra JHP - 11.6gr - 1150fps
158gr Sierra JHP - 12.1gr - 1200fps
158gr Sierra JHP - 12.6gr - 1250fps (max)

They give the typical max load warning but also state that they don't recommend loads less than the minimum.

While the bullet designs are different, both are still jacketed. I find it interesting (and confusing) the large difference between the two loads.
Old November 14, 2008, 09:58 AM   #22
WESHOOT2

why

The bullets really are that different.
The other components used are different.
The launch platforms used are different.
The test methodology and equipment are different.

It should come as no surprise the results are different.

Start low, work up slow. In YOUR gun....
Assume NOTHING.

(Gold Dots are plated; Sierra's are jacketed).