The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 14, 2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Metal god

Finish wise how well does a spikes lower match PSA upper ?

Title says it all . I have a spikes lower and noticed it does not match my Delton or Franklin uppers or parts . The spikes seem to be a deeper blacker black

If PSA is not good color wise . What brand does match well ? I looked a spikes uppers and did not see what I want .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 14, 2014, 03:21 PM   #2
blfuller

Colors of anodizing will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and lot to lot from a specific manufacturer. The best thing to do would be to find one that matches or disassemble both receivers and apply a moly resin finish so both match.
Old April 14, 2014, 04:46 PM   #3
DubC-Hicks

The spikes is a little deeper black, shinier I guess. The palmetto is more gray, and rough. It's not a terrible match, only visible up close or in some shades of light. Now, a BCM is usually a close match to Spikes from what I've seen.
Old April 15, 2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Now, a BCM is usually a close match to Spikes from what I've seen.
I'd have to agree. My Spikes lower matches my BCM upper really well. I honestly don't notice a difference in shades.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old April 15, 2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Metal god

thanks guys . I was thinking BCM would most likely match best

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 15, 2014, 01:09 PM   #6
marine6680

If you still are not happy with the match.

I have seen people take froglube grease and coat the receivers and heat them in an oven on low for several minutes. The finish would look cleaner and more even. It would also look more dark grey than black.

Not a permanent change though.

The receivers matched better afterwards
Old April 15, 2014, 02:14 PM   #7
Quentin2

If you're picky about how upper and lower receivers' finish match you have to compare them first hand. Take your upper to various LGS(es) and see how it matches their selection of lowers. Any brand can be different from batch to batch. I have BCM, Daniel Defense and PSA uppers all from Brass Aluminum Forge (square forge mark) and all are finished slightly different. The DD is sleek and dark while the BCM and PSA are dark but rougher. No real problem, just noticeable.

Also I ordered an ArmaLite stripped lower online expecting it to match my ArmaLite upper and was surprised that the finish was off. No problem function wise but surprised me. You'd expect a factory AR to match well but these ArmaLite receivers were bought over a year apart and the finish reflected that.

S&W has a nice silky dark finish. At least the one I got a few years back! I married it to the DD upper as they're a close match, plus I like to call it a Dan Wesson.
Old April 15, 2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Here is a photo of a Spikes upper (with a Spike's BAR rail that has the same finish) on a PSA lower. The flash exaggerates the difference between the Spike's satin finish versus the PSA's matte finish a bit. They are not a perfect match, but actually look just fine together:

Old April 15, 2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Metal god

yep that's about what I see with mine . It's not bad but is noticeable

Old April 15, 2014, 10:54 PM   #10
marine6680

Try the froglube thing... At worse it simply doesn't make the problem worse.
Old April 16, 2014, 08:24 AM   #11
Ibmikey

It's a rifle designed for use in the field not for a pedestal in a art museum. Take your AR out and run some drills in the dirt, shoot it at the range or drag it through the brush hunting hogs don't worry if the parts which come from various manufacturers are matching colors. If matching is your greatest desire get a can of Krylon!! Aah! Now I feel better. :-)
Old April 16, 2014, 09:01 AM   #12
Metal god

Ibemikey : lol I agree for the most part . like I said in he OP this is for my dad and I did point out the possible miss match and he seemed to be OK with it . Because I'm helping him I thought I'd ask around and see if there is a way to get a better match . It's not a must but my thought with just about anything is . If you can do better why not . He has given me an idea of what he wants and I can choose what make and models will get him there . I will not buy something I don't want just because it matches better .

Old April 16, 2014, 02:24 PM   #13
Ibmikey

Metal, I understand, I am a dad myself but as I get older I find some things are less important than others. I so enjoy shooting my AR's and do take care of them but reliable functioning and accuracy has been my greatest goal/ satisfaction. No matter what you build your Dad will love it.
Old May 17, 2014, 01:24 AM   #14
Metal god

Update FWIW

We/he went with this upper
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...rifle-kit.html

I told him I'll give him $80 for the lower build kit . That puts him at $517 for the complete upper including BCG and charging handle delivered and $770 for the complete build with spikes lower and MOE build kit . I think it's going to be a pretty nice set up . I'll post pics when done

Old May 31, 2014, 03:55 PM   #15
Metal god

Here is the finish match .

Spikes lower and a PSA upper