The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 9, 2013, 11:55 PM   #1
BarryLee

Jogging/Walking & Self-Defense

A California woman was attacked and killed by pit bulls while jogging. Another woman tried to scare the dogs away by blowing her horn as she called 911. When deputies arrived they chased the dogs away, but regrettably the woman died in route to the hospital.

What I do can barely be called jogging, but I do like to get out for little exercise several days a week. My neighborhood is suburban and has a relatively low crime rate, but who knows what threats might be around the bend. I have started carrying a J-Frame in a 5.11 pistol pouch. I received a little ribbing about doing this from neighbors and relatives.

So, just curious how many carry while exercising outside? What do you carry and how? Do you carry a firearm or maybe some other self-defense tool?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/10...est=latestnews
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 10, 2013, 06:48 AM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

"I received a little ribbing about doing this from neighbors and relatives."

My first rule is that no one knows I am carrying.
Old May 10, 2013, 07:28 AM   #3
eldermike

I cycle about 100 miles each week. You can't hide anything in cycle clothing. I wear a fanny pack turned to belly position. I also wear a light weight back pack for snacks. There is a small underseat bag on my bike. Whats in each bag is for me to know.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Skans

Quote:
I cycle about 100 miles each week. You can't hide anything in cycle clothing. I wear a fanny pack turned to belly position. I also wear a light weight back pack for snacks. There is a small underseat bag on my bike. Whats in each bag is for me to know.
I just hope whatever you are carrying is made of carbon fiber or titanium.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Hiker 1

My first rule is that no one knows I am carrying.

+1

I go on neighborhood walks and trail hikes and I am always carrying. I'm not a hard-core cyclist but I do carry while riding too. Always. No one ribs me because except for my wife, no one knows.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:54 AM   #6
xsquidgator

I always carry where it's legal to do so.

Running is tough, even with a fanny pack which is the only solution I have been able to make work for me. A J-frame revolver plus a speed strip reload is about all I have been able to make work for me. If I can get a better-fitting pack, then I'll go up to something with better capacity.

I believe it was Tom Givens who said "you don't get to choose when you'll need a gun - someone else chooses that for you. But you do get to choose whether the gun will be with you or not, when that moment of need comes"
Old May 10, 2013, 09:37 AM   #7
eldermike

Quote:
I just hope whatever you are carrying is made of carbon fiber or titanium.
The bike is carbon fiber, I carry stainless steel
Old May 10, 2013, 11:38 AM   #8
yamahawarrior89

i carry whenever i can, including walking/jogging

I bought the pt-2 from these guys. Works great.

http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDet...a1321496070781

It doesn't flop or move around. I carry either a Taurus pt111 pro or a star pd.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:30 PM   #9
MLeake

I have a belly band and some concealment t-shirts for that sort of activity. The belly band doesn't work so well on a mountain bike. The T's don't work so well for weight lifting.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Retired45

I walk 4 to 5 miles five days a week in a suburban neighborhood. I carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster. No one knows it's there and it doesn't show. Haven't needed yet and hope I don't, but it's there just in case.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:49 PM   #11
eldermike

Last year I was riding my road bike on a paved bike trail that runs along one of our rivers. It's narrow and has lots of blind curves. There had been an incident with a young lady jogging on the other end of the trail and the police were out all over the trail looking for (description goes here)......
long story short: I was about 5 miles from the other end, it runs about 28 miles and came around a curve and the path was blocked by police. I went down trying to come out of my clips and got some serious road rash and expensive bike repairs in the process. My gun was zipped in a belly bag and did not come out.......the purpose of this story is for folks to consider your carry methods if you ride bicycles.

Last: The police did not catch (description goes here) and they moved back so as not to wreck another bike.....and they apologized. All is well.
Old May 10, 2013, 02:23 PM   #12
Rifleman1952

I walk 3-4 miles 4 times per week. I always have my S&W J-frame with me, either in a pocket holster or fanny pack. The only person who knows I have it, is my wife. Occasionally, I bring some Fox Labs pepper spray for aggressive stray dogs. I live in an area where the most likely physical threat, will come from two legged predators, with feral dogs being the most likely threat from animals.
Old May 10, 2013, 02:28 PM   #13
Glockstar .40

Barry have you tried the conceal holster shirts (like under armour) by 5.11? Thats what i use for running/Hiking and they work great. deep concealment and pretty durable
Old May 10, 2013, 02:39 PM   #14
zincwarrior

I walk 1-3 dogs every day, and occasionaly just go on my own walks. Hawaiian shirts hide a myriad of sins.
Old May 10, 2013, 02:44 PM   #15
Water-Man

When jogging, I carried a J-frame in a belly-band.

Always worked fine.
Old May 10, 2013, 04:00 PM   #16
KyJim

I don't carry when doing yard work outside but I carry if walking in the neighborhood. It's usually my SW Mod. 637 or my SW Mod. 38.
Old May 10, 2013, 04:41 PM   #17
Inazone

Most of my outdoor time is spent either doing yardwork or walking some of the "suburban wilderness" trails nearby. Whether or not I carry on my own property is pretty much a coin-toss, but I carry a PX4 subcompact in a DeSantis IWB leather holster when I'm out walking. I've used that same setup for a pretty rigorous hiking trip and it worked fine over many miles and hours at a time.

I might switch to a simple Uncle Mike's IWB for the summer, but it's chilly out again!
Old May 10, 2013, 04:49 PM   #18
deepcreek

I spend a lot of time outdoors on trails near a city and have had lots of dog problems. I have been carrying a knife because it is easier to carry.

yesterday a couple and 3 dogs were on the trail one of their dogs comes running and circle behind me and my wife. which is sketchy because 50% of the time a dog circle behind you it will bite..
So the dog turns out to be friendly but start jumping on me so I mildly kick it. the owner lets her massive Rottweiler of the leash as so as I did that in retaliation. Luckily the Rottweiler just walked by them. But a dog that size made me wish I had a gun.

I just don't see how people think it is just fine and dandy to let out of control dogs run around like that.. that's the type of crap that starts fights.
Old May 10, 2013, 05:23 PM   #19
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee
So, just curious how many carry while exercising outside?
everytime. your out on the street alone, pretty vulnerable. The only time I don't is when I cycle to work, since I work in a gun free zone I'm 'robbed' of my right to defend myself even on the commute.
Old May 10, 2013, 05:26 PM   #20
Kreyzhorse

I run and bike. I do not carry any deteriant. My wife also runs and if running alone, she carries pepper spray.

While a gun would be ideal, I can't imagine running with a fanny pack. Pepper spray however easily rides in your hand, at the ready if needed.
Old May 10, 2013, 06:10 PM   #21
MLeake

Kreyzhorse, have you ever tried one of the compression type t-shirts? (Under another layer.... this may not work in mid-summer)
Old May 11, 2013, 05:59 AM   #22
Kreyzhorse

MLeake - no, I've not tried any type of compression system while running. Between the extra layers and the thought of sweating all over my gun, I never figured it was a good option for me.
Old May 11, 2013, 06:28 AM   #23
thedudeabides

I go on long bike rides (40 plus miles), I carry my G30 in a pack I have velcro'd to the angle between the top tube and down tube--right where I can easily grab it.

I also have some police-grade pepper spray for stray dogs a mail carrier told me to buy and claimed works 100% of the time.
Old May 11, 2013, 09:14 AM   #24
Gaerek

Walking, or not much physical activity, Glock 19 in a Concealment Solutions Black Mamba holster and LCR in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. If I'm jogging, or otherwise doing some kind of relatively strenuous activity (and usually wearing a tech shirt and running shorts) LCR in a DeSantis Bellyband.

Don't worry about what others say...they shouldn't even know you're carrying. It's none of their business.
Old May 11, 2013, 02:07 PM   #25
BarryLee

Quote:
Don't worry about what others say...they shouldn't even know you're carrying. It's none of their business.
Thanks all for the great feedback and good ideas for self defense. I’m pretty happy with my method of carry, but might switch out the J-Frame for my LCP or maybe a larger caliber choice. As for the “ribbing” this was all good natured and came from friends/family that know I carry. I do not advertise that I carry nor really care what anyone else thinks. I was just mainly curious if and how others carry in this situation.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman