The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 17, 2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Gbro

Buck Pole!

Received this photo from my local CO. He titled the Photo "Wolf Lake Deer Camp" to pull my chain. I did a search and found its source.

and here,

Last edited by Gbro; December 17, 2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old December 17, 2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Deerhunter

Wish I was hunting there. Here is another link to this story that shows the game wardens standing with some of the hunters. It also gives some more information about the story.

http://bloodbro.com/messageboard/vie...php?f=8&t=8640
Old December 17, 2009, 08:24 AM   #3
2damnold4this

Wow
Old December 17, 2009, 08:45 AM   #4
DRice.72

+ 1 to what Deerhunter said! Some nice looking meat hanging there!
Old December 17, 2009, 12:07 PM   #5
dropthehammer

Thanks for the excellent post. Very interesting read to say the least. Sounds like a good management program to me. Would love to learn more about this island. Google here I come!!!!
Old December 17, 2009, 09:22 PM   #6
gedenke

Dang, me thinks they're gonna need some more freezers!
Old December 17, 2009, 10:45 PM   #7
elkman06

Interesting,, Last pole we had truly loaded up had 5 elk and 4 deer on it. I was standing on the hood of a Jeep being used to winch another up when the winch button stuck. I bailed off and we all had a Jeep and 10 animals come crushing down on top of us. Luckily, no one injured.

I gotta ask though, how come you easterners hang em upside down?
LOL elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old December 18, 2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Gbro

Quote:
I gotta ask though, how come you easterners hang em upside down?
That depends on the definition of "Upside-down".(LOL)
I have hung them both ways and head up is definitely the most common practice as it is the easiest without the use of a single tree, or gambrel.
Skinning is easyer with the carcass hung head down, but as far as I am concerned that is the only truly convenient reason for hanging head down.
I have heard some statements that draining of gastric fluids(esophageal), and spinal fluids when hung head up can affect taste, but I have not found anything that supports that theory.
So to me its to each his own.
Old December 19, 2009, 01:46 AM   #9
FrontSight

WHOA!!
Old December 19, 2009, 04:34 PM   #10
simulatedjim

That pic looks like something you would see in the 40's or 50's not now.
Old December 20, 2009, 04:35 PM   #11
James R. Burke

There is no doubt that Michigan needs some better laws and management of whats going on. I asked them if they could do a 72 hour wait before the lic becomes valid, and regeristing to cut back on poaching, and getting a good count. There reply was it would need to go thru legislation, and a whole bunch of stuff. I am sure this woud not stop it but it might help just alittle. There are some great D.N.R. officers out there, but not enough of them. Maybe they could get some part time help just during the season, and give a person a certain area to watch, and enforcing what they do have on the rules. Who gets checked. The guy out there with 1,500 worth of gun, and wearing hunter orange doing everything by the book. How aboat one deer a year, with all lic combined. If your drawen for a doe tag make it so it needs to be used with the buck tag. I remember those day. Then you get the people that hunt, and have shot four deer the previous year wondering why they are not seeing has many deer. Or the same person shooting spikes wondering whats happening to the bigger bucks, and where they went. Does make you wonder. I remember in the 70's not seeing deer for the whole season, or maybe one small doe. If someone got a buck everyone in a 100 mile radius new about it. Same with the baiting were I am at if you dont bait you would be the only one, so your almost forced to bait. If you stopped it I am sure there would be folks complaining there income source would put them under, and it probably would. So I guess we keep going the way we are so the state can make bucks, and we wipe out all the deer. Or get into the cronic wasting stuff here in the U.P. I am not saying these deer were taken illegaly, and they no doubt got some nice ones. I am talking about people who just dont follow the rules period. Has far as taggin I have always done it the very first thing, even before gutting. The same with the people I hunt with. Maybe these guys do have away that is producing a better deer herd, and I hope they do, because we sure need it.

Last edited by James R. Burke; December 20, 2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Add:
Old December 20, 2009, 06:44 PM   #12
Gbro

Here ar some more pictures from that camp,

Old December 21, 2009, 10:14 PM   #13
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

WOW, that is something!

I remember back a few years before I was old enough to hunt, I was with my father and some cousins in Eastern Oregon.. Probably early 50s.

We lived in Salem at the time, and made a Friday trip to Dayville from where we left early in the morning riding out to the hunting camp in my cousin's 50 or 51 caddy.

I bout froze that day, but after dark I rode back to camp in an ol chev pickup with the box full to to the top with muley bucks.

Could barely get my legs far enough into the box to stay on the back of that chev.

Since I have been hunting the best I've seen was on a couple trips to Utah for a hunt on the Ute Indian land.

It was a cow only hunt, and the tribe wanted animals harvested, not like a game dept working the percentages and selling 200 tags while figuring on only 25 or less critters being taken.

There was a dozen or more fellers on my last trip, and all but one or two tagged out. That made for a lot of elk quarters hanging and one whale of a lot of good eat'in!!

My last year in Utah, we had one or two deer, my wife got her once in a life time Idaho moose and I add the cow elk. Full freezer and fat city that winter.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol Coot
Old December 21, 2009, 11:08 PM   #14
Fat White Boy

Hope they left some for seed....