The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2007, 12:39 AM   #1
SMApplejack

.38-.357/.45ACP & .30-06 on same equipment?

I'm considering reloading, but am a novice in that area. I would be reloading for my Ruger GP100 in .357; my P345 in .45 ACP, and my .30-06. Can I use the same reloading equipment with different dies?
Would I need different primers and powder for each load?
Could/should the buljets for .38 and .357 be the same?

From what I've read on this forum, the Lee Anniversary outfit would be adequate, as I don't intend to go into mass production (yet).

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Harley
Old January 10, 2007, 01:01 AM   #2
rwilson452

'm considering reloading, but am a novice in that area. I would be reloading for my Ruger GP100 in .357; my P345 in .45 ACP, and my .30-06. Can I use the same reloading equipment with different dies?

From what I've read on this forum, the Lee Anniversary outfit would be adequate, as I don't intend to go into mass production (yet).

Harley

I would suggest you get "The ABC's of Reloading" and a couple of other books on reloading. The 38 uses a small pistol primer the .45 uses a large pistol primer. The 30-06 uses a large rifle primer. Yes you can use the same bullets in the .38 and .357. in some cases you can use the same dies for 38 and 357. You can use the same powder in the three pistols mentioned. but a better result would come about with a different powder for the .357. the 30-06 requires a totally different powder.

You don't need a different press for loading metalic cartridges. A different press is needed for shotgun. OK you can't use the press mentioned to load .50BMG. If you can squeeze out a little more money you might want to look at the Lee turret presses or at least put it on your wish list for a later purchase. Your going to need calipers to measure over all length.
Old January 10, 2007, 01:09 AM   #3
arkie2

Yes you can use the same reloading equipment and yes you will need dies for the .30-06 and .45 but the dies for the .357 can be used to load .38 also with adjustment. You only need to buy .357 diameter bullets for both .357 and .38 but you'll need different cases. You'll need different powders for your pistol and rifle but the pistol powder can be used in all three calibers if you choose one that has load data for all three. For instance, I use Hodgdons titegroup for practice loads for my .45 and .357/.38 but I have some Hodgdons 110 that I use for .357 loads but there's no data for that powder and .45's. You'll need large pistol primers (.45) and small pistol primers (.357/.38) for your pistol loads. There are small pistol magnum primers but you really won't need those. For your rifle you'll need large rifle primers for your .30-06. plus powder specifically formulated for rifles. I would also suggest getting some equipment to measure your powder. With pistols the Lee dippers might be OK but if you're going to reload .30-06 you need a scale, especially if you're going to be working up loads.

Having said all that the most important thing to buy (before you buy anything else) is a couple of reloading manuals. If you're going to buy Lee equipment you might as well buy Lee's Modern Reloading. Lots of good info and good load data. You can buy it off the Lee site along with all your equipment. The ABC's of Reloading is the other book you should have. You can get it off Amazon.com. The Lee website also has some good videos to choose from. Here's a link.

http://www.leeprecision.com/

Finally, welcome. I just started loading (well, except for a Lee loader kit for a .30-30 many years ago) and I believe you're going to enjoy it. Good luck and be safe.
Old January 10, 2007, 01:19 AM   #4
maggys drawers

I second Rwilsons advice. I am loading the exact same calibers on a single stage
RCBS RC IV and its all the press I'll ever need. Get some calipers, a scale and dies for each caliber. I prefer to hand prime with a Lee autoprime, rather than use the press to prime- I think the autoprime has a much better feel for when the primer is seated. The RCBS dies I have are for the 38/357 and have a washer that I insert under the die for .357, take it out for .38 loading (it's nice, cause I only had to set the dies up one time, except for minor adjustments in the seater die. I would also suggest a Lee Factory Crimp die for the .45ACP- mine loves it, and have no feeding problems with my reloads.
You will need different powder for the rifles loads than for the pistol loads, but you might be able to get by on one powder for each. I use Varget for the 30-06, Titegroup for the .357 and .45ACP. You will need 3 different primers, small pistol for 38/357, large pistol for the .45 and large rifle for the 30-06.
The most important tip I can give you is read several different books on reloading, digest the material and then read it again...and take your time when you start. If something isn't clear, reread or ask/search on this forum...they are a great bunch of guys here and are very willing to help.

Say goodbye to any spare $$$ you might have, and welcome to the hobby.
Old January 10, 2007, 01:30 AM   #5
jrothWA

No Problem..

have used RCBS JR2 & Rock Chucker since 1979 for.5.56, 30-06, 308, 30/30, 9mm,.38/.357, 45ACP&LC.

Remember is your body next to or hold the firearm, so exercise QUALITY CONTROL.
Old January 11, 2007, 10:09 PM   #6
cheygriz

Get a copy of the Lyman Reloading Manual, (the best for beginners, IMHO), a good press, preferably Redding, dies for eadh caliber, a good scale, and a Redding powder measure and you're set for life.
Old January 12, 2007, 10:19 AM   #7
gb_in_ga

Quote:
I'm considering reloading, but am a novice in that area. I would be reloading for my Ruger GP100 in .357; my P345 in .45 ACP, and my .30-06. Can I use the same reloading equipment with different dies?

Same equipment, different dies? Yes, that works just fine. For that matter, you can do double duty with the .357 Mag & .38 Spl, they use the same dies. Later on, you will probably want to get a separate set for the 2, just for convenience sake.

Same powder and primers? Nope. You will be using small pistol primers for .38 Spl and your light and moderate .357 Mag loads, small pistol magnum primers for the high end .357 Mag loads (depends on the powder), large pistol primers for .45 ACP, and large rifle primers with the .30-06. You can, if you select wisely, use the same powder for the light/moderate .357 Mag loads, the .38 Spl loads and the .45 ACP loads. There are several that are appropriate like Unique, Universal, HP-38, W231, etc. Heavy .357 Magnum will need its own powder such as W296 or H110, and the .30-06 will need its own powder (I'm not familiar with reloading .30-06 so I can't suggest a powder for it, I am much more familiar with .308).

Same bullets for .38 Spl and .357 Mag? For the most part, yes. Some designs are really intended for one or the other, but many will work either way.

Lee Anniversary Outfit? That's a good way to get started, especially since you aren't looking at doing any sort of volume (for now). You'll most likely want to upgrade later on down the line. Likewise, you are going to want to get some extra goodies like a set of calipers, a case trimmer, powder scale, trickler, powder measure, etc.

Oh, and +1 on getting some decent manuals.