The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 29, 2013, 06:20 PM   #1
OregonShooter121

Looking for a new hunting rifle, Whats your .02 cents?

Hey all, This is my first post on here and I'm hoping that I'm posting under the
right forum.

I'm looking to buy my first hunting rifle soon and I've been doing tons of

research but would greatly appreciate a more experienced hunters input. First

off I'm looking to spend up to $1300 total on the rifle, I have my scope picked

out, a very nice 3-9x40 Leupold. I'm looking for a rifle that is comfortable, I

can use for years and depend on, & is accurate & is easy on the eyes. Oh & I

prefer a nice wood stock but Ill consider a good synthetic. I have been

shooting guns since i was just a little guy but I've always been a archery

hunter, so i do have some experience with rifles. I'm torn between a .270 and

the 30-06. I plan to get into reloading but not right of the bat. Ill be hunting

deer, cougar, black bear & elk with this rifle. Also ill be hunting in central &

eastern Oregon so there will be plenty of shots from 50 yards to... say 300

hundred yards away, from thick woods to some big prairies. I like the looks of

the Remington 700, but I've read about the safety/trigger accidents and I've

also heard their "quality" is not what it once was, so i think ill stay away from

them. Also Id like to find a rifle that comes stock with good features so that i

wont need to purchase a bunch of aftermarket upgrades right off the bat, but

if I want to customize it later on, I don't want to find out that I'm limited on

my customization options! I'd love to hear your guys's opinion on the subject,

the more the better!

Thanks in advance!

I have been eye balling these 3 rifles from savage

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11BTH

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11FCNS

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/14ACStainless

The 114 comes in either stainless steel or carbon steel. Does anyone here

have any experience with either of these to models???

Last edited by OregonShooter121; October 29, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old October 29, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2
bt380

Typically your choice of 30-06 is great for the larger game but deer can be had with a 270. Larger than deer in range, a 30-06 will be better for the critter.
Old October 29, 2013, 07:28 PM   #3
ligonierbill

Regards the Remington 700, forget about the supposed trigger problems. If there was an issue, it's long since fixed. Can't speak to current quality, as mine is an oldie, and a goodie. Savage - I have a 116 model, and it's a good rifle. I like the Accutrigger, not everyone does. Like the safety, too. Great gun for the money. The "new" Winchester Model 70 made by FN is getting good reviews. I have one of the last "New Haven" rifles, a Classic Featherweight with controlled round feed. Probably my favorite.
Old October 29, 2013, 07:38 PM   #4
DMZX

I was looking for a deer rifle this summer. I wanted a 30-06 with a wood stock.

I was watching the classified ads for a couple of weeks and settled on a Ruger M77 that was mfg. in 1977. For being over 30 years old, it was in great shape and come with a vintage Leupold 3-9x scope. Nicely stocked, it is a very nice rifle.

Got it for half the price of a NIB Ruger M77 Hawkeye.

So, I would suggest you might find a very nice older rifle that meets or exceeds your needs in the used market.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:58 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

Hit some pawnshops and see what you can find, there are a lot of very good 30/06 rifles out there, and your scope choice is a very good one. You should be able to get a rifle and put that scope on it for less than $1000, including mounting.
Old October 29, 2013, 09:55 PM   #6
bt380

Estate sales are sometimes good. Go to gun buy backs and put up a big sign that you will pay "money" for their gun they are wanted to get rid (pending if your state allows that). Put on Craigs list that you want a broke gun. Fix it cheap and you may end up with a great gun. That or a neat paper weight.
Old October 29, 2013, 10:30 PM   #7
Doc TH

For your stated purposes, you should go with the '06.
Old October 29, 2013, 11:01 PM   #8
SC4006

Definitely consider taking a look at the Tikka T3 series of rifles. I've never owned one but I've handled many, and man are they smooth to operate! I've also heard nothing but awesome reviews on this rifle.

I'd specifically look at the Tikka T3 Hunter, in 30-06.

You can find it HERE, technical specifications can be found at the bottom of the page, and the rifle retails for around $700 I believe.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old October 29, 2013, 11:18 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

Good all around hunting rifle....

Did you look at the Ruger Scout series?
It's bolt action & comes in 7.62mm(.308).
The 7.62mm is a good all around caliber for the game you plan to hunt.
I like the new .300AAC Blackout round too.
Online reports & reviews say the .300AAC Blackout was R&Ded for sound surpressors/spec ops marksmen but it has good ballistics.
The 6.8x40mm(6.8SPC) has merit but it's not really as popular as a 30/06 or 7.62mm.
I'm not real familiar with the Savage Arms rifles. Id get a Remington, Weatherby, Winchester, or Ruger first.

CF
www.Ruger.com www.gunsamerica.com www.gunsinternational.com
Old October 29, 2013, 11:30 PM   #10
jimbob86

While I am a fan of the .270WIN, for game of Elk size and under at 300 yards or less, there is not a whole lot of performance difference between it and the 30-06.

With the modern bullets available now, either will work just fine ..... the only real differences are that there are more different .308" bullets available than .277" varieties .....but how many different bullets do you really need? The -06 has heavier bullets available ...... and the .270 will have a couple of offerings lighter than the .30cal has ..... and a .277" bullet generally be more efficient than one of equal weight in .308" diameter ..... that and hunting ammo for the .270 will generally have lighter bullets than similar -06 ammo, so the .270 will recoil less, all else being equal .....

I'd second the idea of hitting the pawn shops/consignment racks at the LGS to find a hunting rifle- deer caliber rifles don't get shot very much, and are likely in good shape in the wear department ..... most folks just don't shoot their deer rifle much, as it is not as inexpensive or comfortable to plink all day with an -06 or .270WIN bolt gun as it is with, say, an AR or an SKS ......
Old October 30, 2013, 12:21 AM   #11
jmr40

Quote:
Regards the Remington 700, forget about the supposed trigger problems. If there was an issue, it's long since fixed.
The flawed trigger design was replaced in 2007. New rifles should be fine. Rifles made prior to 1982 are more likely to cause problems, but even then it is rare, but very real.

Personally with your budget I'd be buying a Winchester. Get the Featherweight if you want wood, the Extreme Weather if you want synthetic. But that is largely personal.

There isn't enough difference in 2013 to matter between 270 and 30-06. In 1925 when the 270 was introduced they were loaded much differently. Today the best 30-06 loads shoot 150 gr bullets 300 fps faster than 1925 loadings and will all but match 270 loads in trajectory. With modern bullets a 150-160 gr 270 will kill the largest animals in North America with ease. Between the 2 I'd pick the rifle I liked best and not worry about which of the 2 chamberings were stamped on the barrel.

The scope is an excellent choice on any rifle or chambering.
Old October 30, 2013, 12:29 AM   #12
sunflake

Your like me! I love good wood on a stock. I would say for the money look at the Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe. My brother has a 257 Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe and it has fantastic wood on it. Winchester Model 70 super grade also has really good wood. Which ever you pick if your at a store and they have a few in stock, ask them to bring all of them out and you hand pick the best they have. If shopping online ask them to send pictures of what they have in stock and hand pick what you like.

As far as 270 vs 30-06 they are both fantastic cartridges! The '06 may kick a little harder than the 270. But the '06 has a better range of bullet weights available. You can take any wildlife in the lower 48 with either one. Pick the one you like. Even better may be to find a friend or someone who will let you shoot their '06 or 270. And go from there. As for the Remington 700 I own one of those as well in 25-06 and it's a fantastic shooter! Never had any issues with it at all. Most of the time you wont find beautiful wood on a Rem unless your lucky (I was mine is tiger stripped from the back of the stock right through the forend)

Good luck shopping.
Old October 30, 2013, 06:29 AM   #13
OregonShooter121

Glad to get some quick responses. Definitely helped me out. I looked at the

Tikka T3 Hunter fluted stainless barrel. and Im really liking it. One question

reguarding the barrel. From what ive gathered, all wooden stocks are free

floating, but does anyone know if the fluted barrels are free floating as well?

Im guessing they are, & is a fluted barrel necessary for hunting? Im really

considering going with the 270. Sounds like it kill everything i listed before well

with less recoil & a flatter trajectory. Ill definitely go to some lgs, and pawn

shops & see what they have, plus it will be nice to actually handle the gun

and make sure it fits me and im comfortable with it.

Ive checked out these models and they all seem to have great reviews.

Winchester model 70 feather weight

Tikka T3 Hunter stainless

Savage 111 BTH or 114 american classic

Ruger M77 hawkeye sporter

Weatherby Mark V Sporter
Old October 30, 2013, 07:57 AM   #14
Skans

I also favor the 30-06 for what you plan on hunting. Personally, I think you could spend quite a bit less money by purchasing a slightly used Savage. I purchased my Savage 30-06 a couple years ago (barely used) for $350. While i think some of the Remington 700 guns are a bit prettier than the Savage, they both work about the same. The Ruger M77 Mark II is a very nice gun as well, if you want to spend a little more.
Old October 30, 2013, 09:48 AM   #15
jimbob86

Quote:
The flawed trigger design was replaced in 2007. New rifles should be fine. Rifles made prior to 1982 are more likely to cause problems, but even then it is rare, but very real.
There is nothing wrong with a properly maintained Walker design trigger, other than it was designed to work well insted of designed to be Lawyer proof ....

Any device that is modified beyond it's design parameters or poorly maintained can fail.

No device designed to work well can withstand a pack of Lawyers in combination with a minimum of one (1) idiot willing to sue someone for their own stupidity and negligence.

The triggers on the factory 700's of today do not hold a candle to the un-modified triggers on my 721's ....

Were I to buy a new Remlin, I'd order a Timney for it before I even went to pick it up.

Quote:
There isn't enough difference in 2013 to matter between 270 and 30-06. In 1925 when the 270 was introduced they were loaded much differently.
+1 The standard mass market .270WIN is loaded slightly milder (they advertise 3060 f/sec for a 10gr bullet instead of the 3100 from the days of my misspent youth), and the -06 hunting ammo is loaded much hotter than the original .30-06 Government .... there is not a whole lot of difference in the premium hunting ammo:

http://www.hornady.com/store/270-Win...Superformance/

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-S...Superformance/

Shoot some of those modern hunting loads in an original early production 1903 Springfield or an M-1 Garand and bad things will happen ....

At under 300 yards, there will not be enough difference between the two, even without the premium stuff, to worry about.

Past that, the .270 shoots slightly flatter.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:14 AM   #16
skywag

If I were to have only one hunting rifle it would be a pre-64 type Model 70.

Every other rifle out there has some nice features, but the Winchester was, and still is, the best.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:39 AM   #17
603Country

I have a great Sako in 270, a couple of Rugers (of various types and calibers), and one Tikka Stainless in 260. I once had a Remington 700 BDL in 270. I'm a big fan of Ruger 77's, but the Sako is really special. The Tikka is new to me, and I really have become quite a fan. Great rifle. Very accurate. If you want to spend some $, get a Sako. For less $, the Tikka is great, as are the Rugers.

As to caliber, 270 is a great choice. For less recoil, the 260 is well described as a '270 Lite'. If I was back in Louisiana in the wet bottomlands and the huge briar patches and I wanted to anchor a 250 pound buck before he got to the briar patches, I'd probably take the 270. I've killed hundreds of deer with a 270 and it always did the job (if I did mine). Here in Texas, I'm perfectly happy with the 260. And I'd be happy with a 308 or a 30-06 or a 7-08.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:42 AM   #18
Kimber84

If that's your price and you want wood or syn options look at Kimber 84L's. they have the Classic line and the Montana line. The Montana's are literally featherweights with the Classics coming in slightly heavier.

Adjustable triggers, glass pillar bedded, free floated, CRF, Kevlar stock (Montana) and they fit like a glove.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84l/classic

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84l/montana

I have four of these rifles, a .204 Varmint, .243 Montana, 7-08 Montana, and a 30-06 Classic. For hunting rifles they are all I buy and I've been very happy with them.

The Montana's tend to have some complaints of accuracy issues, although I've never seen it myself. I'm not sure if there truly is a problem, but you have to keep in mind the Montana's weigh just a shade over 5 lbs and any variance in your bench form is going to show. I think there is this desire nowadays to have 1/4 MOA no matter what platform you're shooting. These are hunting rifles, not bench guns. I routinely get MOA with them with hand loads and have actually got even better with some federal ammo ( go figure) the .204 though is a legit 1/2 MOA gun on even a bad day.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:50 AM   #19
hogheaven

One could also say that the browning A-Bolt is one fine rifle..as for the caliber 30-06 will be the most universal round especially if hand loading. I have seen bull moose taken with 30-06 one shot...so I'd say there is nothing else in North America that it won't kill.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:56 AM   #20
SC4006

Quote:
. From what ive gathered, all wooden stocks are free

floating, but does anyone know if the fluted barrels are free floating as well?
Well, not ALL rifles with wooden stocks are free floated. I believe most modern bolt action rifles regardless of stock material will have a free floated barrel though. I'm not 100% sure if the T3 hunter fluted is free floated as I've never even seen a fluted one in person, but there's no reason it shouldn't be.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old October 30, 2013, 11:00 AM   #21
jimbob86

Quote:
I have seen bull moose taken with 30-06 one shot...
I've seen a video of that done with a 30-30 .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xZsgwPlLM0
Old October 30, 2013, 12:38 PM   #22
Buzzcook

.30-06 or .270, flip a coin.

Look at the Winchester Model 70.
Old October 30, 2013, 02:32 PM   #23
Polinese

I'd say a Winchester model 70 as well. Or maybe Ruger Hawkeye if you find them more pleasing.
Old October 30, 2013, 03:37 PM   #24
jimbob86

Quote:
One could also say that the browning A-Bolt is one fine rifle..
I'd like it better if there was information available on how to take the bolt apart for detail cleaning.
Old October 30, 2013, 08:25 PM   #25
Geo_Erudite

Savage Model 111 Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 Norma

or

Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow in .264 Winchester Magnum

Tags
help-me , hunting rifle , new rifle , noob , opinion