The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 5, 2013, 09:31 AM   #1
Bellasogno

Pulsar N550 Day/Night vision scope

Just handled this a few days ago, and it seems light years ahead of my ATN MK390 night-scope. Anyone here own the Pulsar? Satisfied? Ups and downs of it?
Old July 16, 2013, 10:01 AM   #2
texas724

I've used some Pulsar in the past, and I've got to hand it to them. They really make some quality night vision. They are also trying to lead the market in new innovations, clarity, and the lowest price. The only bad I really know about this scope is that the demand was huge for this item so they started pumping them out faster, but with less quality control. I assume they have fixed this now, as it was over a year ago that I heard this.
Old July 16, 2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Since there hasn't been much response directly about the N550, I'll relate an experience with the N750. My uncle bought one because he felt (and I agree) that the differences/upgrades more than justified the price increase over the 550.

Long story short, it took several weeks and 3 returned units before the 4th one worked correctly. Every unit had a different problem. One was the power button, one was the contrast knob (I think), the 3rd problem I don't recall. After all that, they tried to send him a version that didn't include USB for custom reticles, saying it was a "patent issue". They finally sent one with it after he asked why it was ok that the first 3 had it.

I've spoken to one experienced 550 owner who was quite shocked to hear about the issues. I don't know if it's a fluke, a bad run, early model QC, I can't say. May not apply to the 550s at all but I'd be leery, personally.
Old July 16, 2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

I have killed 24 hogs this year with the help of my N550 from 25 to 170 yards, but I do use a supplemental ir illuminator. I like the scope a lot but it is far from perfect. It is a good value, I think.

My biggest complaint is that the from lens worked loose and I had to tighten it back down. The 2nd biggest complaint is that it is NOT a great daylight scope. It is as functional in day time as it is at night. I would say that at best, it is a 300 yard scope - 200 yards being more reasonable.

A buddy of mine had his malfunction under warranty and Pulsar made things right the same week with a replacement NIB.