The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 16, 2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Chicago crime guns being turned into jewelry

This makes me crazy.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...015-story.html

So let's look at this logically - the city government, who, after seizing an illegal gun, after the investigation is over, has possession of a good and valuable item of property, which is legal to re-sale in other channels, in order to raise money to benefit the coffers of the gov't thus saving the taxpayers some money. But instead of selling the valuable legal property items, they GIVE this property to jewelry makers who then profit from the jewelry they make from the guns (while giving a small amount to a gun-hating, anti-civil-rights charity). Talk about your crony capitalism and malfeasance of duty to protect taxpayer's money!
Old October 16, 2014, 12:15 PM   #2
2ndsojourn

Ah, yes, Chicago.
One of the more pro 2A environments. Not.
Old October 16, 2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Skans

I don't really have a problem with this - no more so than I do with any other government stupidity, I suppose.

I just feel bad for the idiot who purchased a ZAMAK necklace made from a Lorcin .380. Most likely there is a stuck cartridge still inside, as the broken extractor doubtfully yanked it out. KABOOM!!! I strongly recommend that anyone wearing a ZAMAK necklace check to see if it is still loaded.

Personally, I think it helps promote our 2nd Amendment gun culture. Some of the antis might like their jewelry so much that they might next want the real thing!!!

Actually, the biggest problem with turning guns into jewelry is all of the propane burned in the smelting process - releasing tons of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere causing the polar icecaps to melt.

Last edited by Skans; October 16, 2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old October 16, 2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

So...do the jewelers have an FFL? Is the paperwork being done?

Ironically, I saw an episode of Chicago PD last night in which two junior officers were assigned to a buyback kiosk. They had no traffic and spent the time griping about what a boring detail it was. I thought that was brilliant.
Old October 17, 2014, 09:25 AM   #5
kilimanjaro

I kinda want to know if the firearms are legally transferred, as well. Maybe the BATFE needs to raid the Chicago PD, make some high-profile arrests, in order to send a message about urban gun trafficking.

Turning them into jewelry doesn't bother me, much, but the blingmakers should be buying their excess public property at auction like everyone else.

Presumably, there are no original owners of these pistols to return them to?
Old October 21, 2014, 10:41 PM   #6
Snyper

If the serial numbers aren't entered in the NCIC, they rarely make an effort to trace them
Old October 23, 2014, 11:04 PM   #7
godot

My SO is a jewelery freak and I have listened to hours about every brand, material and trend. When she goes on one of these jags, I just sort of nod and agree. Nonetheless I've learned enough about women's jewelery to say with absolute authority that these things have 0 chance of selling. There may be a few rich antis that will pick up one, but at the end of the day they are going to have tons of unmarketable pot metal.