The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 11, 2012, 05:47 PM   #26
Fingers McGee

If you are shooting in a NCOWS/CAS match where you don't have a table/shelf/bench:

Colts: Push out or remove the wedge, remove barrel, remove cylinder. You now have 3 (or maybe 4) pieces to hold while reloading the cylinder. (Frame, cylinder, barrel, and maybe wedge if it wasnt retained in the barrel)
Remington, lower loading lever, pull base pin, remove cylinder. You now only have 2 pieces to hold on to while reloading the cylinder (frame & Cylinder).

Of course, if you are just shooting for fun, off a bench, it really doesn't matter cause you can set the pieces on the bench and take your sweet time doing it.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 11, 2012, 06:45 PM   #27
Hawg

Quote:
What about cimarron firearms, are they good quality?

Also, someone mentioned before about having to disassemble an 1851 w/ conversion cylinder to reload, where as this isn't the case with an 1858. Could someone point me in the direction to learn more about this?
Cimarron is good quality but it's still a Uberti, supposedly hand picked and has Cimarrons barrel address in the same font Colt used.

If you go with a gated conversion you don't have to break it down but with just the cylinder then you do.
Old January 11, 2012, 06:47 PM   #28
LeadZinger

Cimarron imports from Uberti and can be pricey. It may be just a marketing ploy but they claim to get preferential treatment from Uberti as to the quality of product shipped to them. My '51 Navy Colt is marked Cimarron but I did not buy it from them. Sometimes their dealers offer lower prices on the Uberti's from Cimarron than they do themselves. Buffalo Arms is one such that beats the Cimarron price on revolvers obtained from them. Nice people to deal with to boot. The Uberti website used to list their distributors and dealers but many don't actually keep any inventory, they order from Cimarron or Stoeger here in the US so price remains high. Buffalo Arms actually stocks and inventory and there are others.

As I said, and as Fingers described, breaking down a C & B to deal with loading a conversion cylinder, even a Remington, can be as much trouble as loading powder & ball plus cap. A factory conversion eliminates that, but does require the use of an FFL to obtain one.
Old January 11, 2012, 07:41 PM   #29
Hawg

If you're good with your hands you can install a gated conversion yourself.
Old January 11, 2012, 07:42 PM   #30
Hardy

I strongly recommend buying thru Taylor. They are examined closely and passed by their gunsmith.(Quality and safety can't be sacrificed with things that explode) The 1858 Rem Case hardened Uberti 44 has just been orderd by me I can't wait to jerk it out of the box!

WBH