The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 27, 2012, 01:51 AM   #26
wayneinFL

Quote:
Constantine Isn't that dangerous for your guns? leaving them in the hot car long hours each day?
Kept a Glock in the car in Florida for years. Frame's just fine.
Old August 27, 2012, 02:17 AM   #27
Denezin

@Constantine nice holster if it is a don humes i have that exact same holster for my 1911 gov SA.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:37 AM   #28
FAS1

FAS1 Safe Mustang GT Install

This was sent to me by a customer that wanted something stronger in his vehicle since his gun was stored in there every day while at work. Not accessible from the cabin, but gives him stronger box which is what he was looking for. Was never intended for a vehicle, but I am always reminded that gun owners are a pretty creative bunch.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:50 AM   #29
Marquezj16

That is pretty nice. that would be cool as a center console.
Old August 27, 2012, 06:26 PM   #30
Chuckusaret

Quote:
Marquezj16
chuck - those are some really nice locks. It gave me some ideas of how I might be able to make my own. Not in a rush to buy one or get one made so I'll be looking and tinkering. Thanks for the input.
Yes, most of us from the Ms. Gulf Coast are pretty handy, I am from Gulfport. My son made his own locks and they work just as well as my $150 locks. I also have a semilar locking device mounted on the wall next to my bed for my HD shotgun. I unlock it when I hit the rack and lock it when I get up.

I sure hope that the hurricane picks up a more westerly direction and misses Tx., La. and Ms.
Old August 27, 2012, 06:37 PM   #31
thedudeabides

I have a console vault under the middle bench seat/console of my truck.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:20 PM   #32
Marquezj16

Chuck, over here at Biloxi. Getting ready for Isaac. Hope it weakens and spares the region.

Dude - did you buy it or make it yourself? My truck has that lockable storage as well under the middle seat but it has plastic locks. It hides the lock box well though.

Last edited by Marquezj16; August 27, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:41 PM   #33
Hog Red

Pro-gard has your rifle and shotgun gun racks. I have one in my backseat for my AR-15, it has an electric switch to unlock. G5000 UT is the one i have
Old August 27, 2012, 07:48 PM   #34
Chuckusaret

Quote:
Marquezj16
Chuck, over here at Biloxi. Getting ready for Isaac. Hope it weakens and spares the region.
Dude - did you buy it or make it yourself?
I bought the wall mount, it is the same mount that I have in the trunk of my car. I think i paid close to $300 for the two. Hey, I was born in Biloxi. Hopefully the storm just dumps rain on you like it did here, 14" so far.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:57 PM   #35
Marquezj16

Yeah rain without the wind would be ok. Not in flood prone area so it would be okay for us. But a lot of people would have problem with all that rain. Hopefully the storm surge is not bad either.

Hog red - those are some awesome gun racks. Looks expensive.

Last edited by Marquezj16; August 27, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old August 29, 2012, 01:03 PM   #36
FAS1

Saw this story today.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/...of-3-cars.html
Old August 29, 2012, 06:24 PM   #37
Marquezj16

I don't keep my pistol in my vehicles overnight. And now with a lock box secured by cables, it should stop any quick grabs when I have it in the vehicle.
Old September 19, 2012, 02:56 AM   #38
Departed402

As a cop...

Getting a vehicle gun safe could be good insurance. That said, I'm a police officer, and on occasion I get called to thefts from vehicles (perps long gone of course). These thefts almost always have these two characteristics in common:

1. The theft occurred at night.
AND
2. The vehicle was left unlocked.

In fact, I'm being generous with the "almost always" because every theft from a vehicle I have investigated has both of these characteristics. Getting a special locking device can't hurt, but for the love of Almighty God, LOCK YOUR DAMN CAR!
Old September 19, 2012, 07:58 AM   #39
Tactical Jackalope

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 19, 2012, 09:04 AM   #40
bird_dog

I didn't really want to discuss this yet since A) it's embarassing and B) the ramifications are not yet complete, but I will summarize:

Last Spring, here in the great state of NY (where getting a pistol permit takes a great deal of time, effort and money), I was in the process of a move between two houses and (if you've been through it, you know) it was a time of great stress. One of the nights shortly after taking load after load in my pickup, I collapsed in bed, exhausted.

One of my handguns had been left in the console of my (locked) truck. It was stolen. I've since had my permit suspended and my handguns are now in the county lockup. Suspension SHOULD be over soon, but there's no guarantee on how quickly I will get my guns back.

I made a mistake. You don't need to tell me. I know better, and I knew better at the time. I slipped, and got nailed by a bad guy, and then had my guns taken away by the good guys.

I'm contributing to this thread in the hopes that you all take the prospect of leaving a firearm in your car very seriously. Take it from a guy who hasn't shot his handguns in five months.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:33 PM   #41
wayneinFL

Quote:
One of my handguns had been left in the console of my (locked) truck. It was stolen. I've since had my permit suspended and my handguns are now in the county lockup. Suspension SHOULD be over soon, but there's no guarantee on how quickly I will get my guns back.
You had a gun under lock and key. It was taken by criminals. So the cops took the rest of your guns?

Ridiculous.
Old September 20, 2012, 07:36 AM   #42
bird_dog

Quote:
You had a gun under lock and key. It was taken by criminals. So the cops took the rest of your guns?

Ridiculous.
I don't want to badmouth the authorities involved. The mistake was mine. The police were professional and courteous, but that is the price you pay in this county for not having your firearm either on your person, or in a safe. I haven't enjoyed the process (rather humiliating packing up all my handguns and handing them over to a deputy), I have no carry weapon, despite working in fairly dangerous areas, and I'm not sure I'll have my hunting handguns back in time for November's deer season. I can't say it's been a steep learning curve. As I said before, I knew better but still made the mistake.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:09 AM   #43
wayneinFL

It's not your fault. That could have just as easily happened while you were parked at a post office or courthouse.

Most of the lockboxes I've seen for cars can be defeated just as quickly as a car door. Even a gun "safe" at your house doesn't make much of a difference or the insurance companies would offer a better discount.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:11 AM   #44
TailGator

Quote:
I slipped, and got nailed by a bad guy, and then had my guns taken away by the good guys.
You are being quite gracious about it. To me, the above statement kind of blurs the line between good guys and bad guys. Both took away property that you legally own. The only difference is that you have a better chance of regaining the property taken by the former than the latter.

Please understand that by saying that I am not criticizing the LEOs who enforced the law, but rather the law they are obligated to enforce. Structuring a law to punish the victims of a crime never seems right to me, but I am just a little simple-minded in that way, I guess.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:24 PM   #45
bird_dog

Quote:
You are being quite gracious about it. To me, the above statement kind of blurs the line between good guys and bad guys. Both took away property that you legally own. The only difference is that you have a better chance of regaining the property taken by the former than the latter.

Please understand that by saying that I am not criticizing the LEOs who enforced the law, but rather the law they are obligated to enforce. Structuring a law to punish the victims of a crime never seems right to me, but I am just a little simple-minded in that way, I guess.
I am not sure how to respond. Within a month, my suspension will be over and I should get my guns back shortly after that. Yes, the idea that I was the victim of a robbery and of the two people involved (the robber and I), I was the only one to pay a price. He got a gun. I had 7 of them taken away, lost the one that got stolen, and -- at least temporarily -- have lost the ability to protect my family in the way that I am accustomed.

I'm trying really hard not to be bitter, and to toe the line that I've always advocated -- that stupid decisions deserve punishment. I'm taking mine in the way I feel that I should, with a large amount of humility.

There's more involved, but I won't comment on that until my permit is re-instated and my guns are returned. It's been a horrible 5 months.
Old September 21, 2012, 01:34 PM   #46
spacecoast

I rely on my door locks, gun is kept in center console only a lid raise away. Can't see the point of another box with a lock if I need to get to it quickly. Come to think of it, if I need to get to it, I can't imagine not needing it quickly.

Last edited by spacecoast; September 24, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:42 AM   #47
GaryOlson

This gagdet looks interesting if you can find a solid location for mounting. Although it provides no protection from the environment.
Old September 23, 2012, 11:30 AM   #48
Marquezj16

Gary - that looks like something that could be useful for securing rifles too. I might just get a couple.
Old September 23, 2012, 12:08 PM   #49
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryOlson
This gagdet looks interesting ....
I would not use that to secure a loaded gun. It looks like one of the securing "fingers" goes in the trigger guard -- a bad idea if the gun is loaded. Before securing a gun in that device the gun should be verified "clear."
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 23, 2012, 12:23 PM   #50
wayneinFL

Quote:
I would not use that to secure a loaded gun. It looks like one of the securing "fingers" goes in the trigger guard -- a bad idea if the gun is loaded. Before securing a gun in that device the gun should be verified "clear."
That's the whole point. You mount it on the wall toward your front door. When someone's breaking down the door and you can't find the key, you simply push it forward and bump-fire it to simulate automatic fire.

Better yet, you can mount it on an interior door of your home and use it like a machine gun on a turret.

Seriously I hate the idea of trigger locks in general. Any locking mechanism that necessitates putting something inside the trigger guard could be improperly applied and fire a loaded gun. The FFOD locking holsters are another example.

If you really have to lock up a gun in some other method than a safe, the only thing I advocate are action locks- like a cable or padlock to lock the action open.