The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 19, 2002, 09:10 PM   #1
Tyr

Russian Assault Rifle

Does anyone know much about the newest generation russian assault rifle, the AN-94 Abakan. I was reading some info on it and dang, I would love to get my hands on one of these things.

Heres the link

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as08-e.htm
Old March 20, 2002, 10:29 PM   #2
Badger Arms

The gun is interesting. It is similar in concept to the ACR trials the US Army had a few years back. IIRC, that didn't lead to anything in the US much as the Abakan won't lead to much in Russia.

The problem is that the mechanism is not as reliable as the AK-74 that it intends to replace. There is dubious value to the two-round burst. In theory, it increases the possibility of a hit by allowing both shots to fire before the gun climbs any. With the Advanced Combat Rifle, this method was also explored by using duplex (multiple projectile) ammunition, tiny nail-like Flechettes, and caseless ammo.

The HK G11 combined caseless ammo with a novel recoil system more complex than that of the Abakan. The G11 action recoiled inside the stock for the first three shots and then returned completely forward. In theory, that meant three shots to the same point of aim. In practice, the gun LURCHED off the firer's shoulder following the burst preventing fast follow-up bursts.

HK Pro Link to the G11 with video of gun jumping off shoulder!

The Abakan tries to back off of this revolution but nobody has yet to prove that two shots are better than one in this realm. Market forces are more likely to kill the Abakan. With the world replete with rifles like the AK-47, AKM, AK-74, AKSU-74, M-16, M-4, etc, why whould anybody want anything else? Modern armies are more likely to embrase evloutionary guns like the HK G-36 and the Israel/Croatian Tavor than a dubiously revolutionary system that remains untested like the Abakan.

... But I still want one!
Old March 22, 2002, 05:40 AM   #3
max popenker

Quote:
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as08-e.htm
well, this is a link to my web-site so i'm responsible for it
AN-94 has same idea behind it as G-11 - the action recoils inside the receiver for first two rounds, and recoil is felt only after 2nd shot is fired. The AN-94 looks damn complicated inside (i will post a picture of internal of Abakan as soon as i will scan it). It is also too complicated to field-strip.

for me, balanced gas action, like one of AK-108 or AEK-971 is far more attractive - it uses countermass that moves in the reverse direction to the bolt group and compensates the inertia of the bolt movement and of the bolt carrier striking rear and forward parts of the receiver. Much simple and more accurate than AK-74 in ANY mode, not only in 2 bursts mode.

see 'em here:
AK-108
AEK-971
Old March 23, 2002, 06:41 PM   #4
Correia

Max. Great site. My compliments.