The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 25, 2009, 11:24 PM   #101
PoorSoulInJersey

I've always felt that if I'm going to carry a gun, I need to be prepared to protect myself and those around me if I feel there's a real risk and that I can take action without making things worse.

If the person seems really interested in just robbing the place, I'd probably not take action. As others have stated, $200 of insured money is not worth taking anyone's life over.

If he's actively waving the gun around and making threats to everyone in sight, then I'd be more likely to get involved.

If there are multiple people between me and the BG, I need to be able to move into a position where I can make a safer shot. That may not be possible.

An idiot with a gun robbing the place, to me, is not an automatic "draw your gun and get involved" situation. There are a lot more variables than that.

There's a fine line between defending against a legitimate threat and trying to be an action hero.
Old January 15, 2010, 12:07 AM   #102
HighStrung

Chambered vs. Unchambered

Being someone new to CCW I'm sure my opinion will have minimal value but I'll take the "flames" if they may follow. The OP had mentioned that he was carrying without a chambered round. I am somewhat split on the idea and feel his reasons for carrying that way may justify that act, just as mine do at times. When I'm out and about, I carry loaded and ready to act should the situation arise as I'm sure no one will have access to my carry point. When at home I carry without one in the chamber (let the flame begin) and here's why. I generally carry around the home mainly to get more comfortable with always having it on my person. I live in a good neighborhood with minimal threat even though threat always exists. The reason I do not have a round chambered at home it a two part situation. 1st I carry a Sigma .40 and the fact that there is no external safety is something that I'm relatively new to. 2nd is the fact that I've got two small children (ages 2 1/2 and 8 months) who consider daddy and extreemly fun jungle gym. Though I do remove my weapon when I know I'll be engaging in the wrestle matches with the kids, my oldest is capable of a surprise attack at any moment because sneaking up on daddy is apparantly the most fun in the world. Okay, sorry to sidetrack, it was earlier mentioned that there were more than one reason that someone may carry unchambered and I was just wanting to elaborate on that point. One thing is true for me however, I am 100% certain of the state of my weapon at all times (unchambered at home/chambered when I'm out). As for the situation as listed by the OP, I'd be ready to act but not until BG made threatening actions towards myself or another individual in the bank. I'm not looking forward to the legal repercussions or personal issues that could come from killing a man who effectively killed the finish on a ceiling. Just my $.02.
“The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second does not become the legalized version of the first.” Thomas Jefferson
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson
Old January 15, 2010, 03:20 AM   #103
Nnobby45

Quote:
Now, what should I do differently to be a better CCW holder? What would you do in a similar situation?
In most robberies I'd let him take the money and leave and try to be a good witness.

When he came in shooting, that changed the dynamics considerably and would be a reason to fear for one's life and the lives of others. Doesn't mean drawing a weapon would have been the correct approach or even possible without getting shot.

You could have been in a convenience store and, aside from the clerk, could have been the only witness. Think about what you would have done if Bubba Two Strikes had ordered you on the floor or in the back room.

An acquaintence was legally armed while in a bank a number of years ago in California. Back before the gas bag liberals took over the state.

A man came into the bank to rob it. Not sure exactly what transpired, but at some point, he shot and killed a young lady teller. My acquaintence knew what to do. He drew his weapon and shot the robber, who made it outside before piling up dead in the pkg. lot.

HOT TIP: He DID NOT carry his gun UNLOADED for safety reasons in a SLOW to reach ankle holster-----and neither should you.

However, I like the ankle rig as a BUG and wish I wasn't too old and fat to access it (though it's still an option for driving). Main reason I don't is that I've been reaching in the same places for years. Know of people who used a different carry method and, under stress, reached where they USED TO CARRY it.

Sorry for the long winded reply---Red Bull, again.

Last edited by Nnobby45; January 15, 2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old January 15, 2010, 10:17 AM   #104
highcaliberprovider

As the others said; dont do anything unless you're genuinely protecting yourself or others. That having been said, unless you are a LEO why would you be carrying in a bank? Most states strictly prohibit carrying in a financial institution.
Old January 15, 2010, 10:53 AM   #105
Glenn E. Meyer

This a bit of a resurrection of an old thread and we do have a chambered/unchambered thread elsewhere (as does every gun forum on the Internet and never a new argument! ).

So we don't need to see the same old as the basic points are well stated.

Feel free to start new threads with new problems.

A gentle close.