The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2013, 09:14 PM   #1
gamorris

Concealed Carry with Punch

Greetings Everyone,
I am a wheelchair user interested in concealed carry. As I am always seated I cannot conceal a large gun - but I want a single stack compact with punch. If confronted I will likely not be running for cover, as I am too slow and don't like the idea of turning my back on a threat. I have narrowed down my choices to the S&W Shield or Springfield XDS. The Springfield is available in .45, with .40 becoming available soon. The Shield is available in 9 & .40. I am trying to decide between .40 & .45 and leaning toward the Springfield XDS. Concerned that the XDS in .45 only holds 5 rounds (plus 1, probably 6 plus 1 in .40). Constructive opinions or criticism regarding model or caliber very much appreciated.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Plumbnut

Consider a Kimber Compact Ultra carry. .45 acp or a snub nose .357 magnum
Old May 4, 2013, 09:23 PM   #3
craZivn

Have you fired the two calibers side-by-side to see how they handle?

I have no experience with either of the two models you're considering, but I'd take an extra round of .40 over the extra size (and recoil, and expense) of .45 any day.

I always assumed that being in a wheelchair would allow you to carry a larger gun than normal. Concealed in a fanny-pack on the armrest or something.

Ivan
Old May 4, 2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Without touching on make i would suggest a 45 over the 40 in a compact.

I love the 40 and it has plenty of stopping power but i have shot them with the same frame size and maker and the 40 kicked hard in a full frame.

IMHO the 40 kicks much harder and the 45 has plenty of stopping power as well with a little less recoil.

Now before i get ripped...I did say opinion as i am avoiding the recoil argument that is likely to ensue
Old May 4, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
CSG

You might look into something like the Glock 30 which holds 10 rounds of .45 in the magazine but it's a double stack. I had a 36 for a few years and it was a great shooting pistol (6 rounds in the mag and a narrower grip than the 30). I think Glocks might offer you more options than Springfield. I like the offerings from S&W in their M&P line too.

I like the Springfield and Kimber 1911's. I got rid of the 36 because I didn't carry it and had acquired a Kimber Compact CDP II which had a manual of arms I liked better and held one more round as well. But you need to carry a 1911 cocked and locked which may or may not work out well in your chair.

A .357 revolver might also be something to consider but I'd look for a 4" barrel over a snub in this caliber.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Venom1956

Quote:
Kimber Compact Ultra carry. .45 acp
I would disagree. 1911s of that size tend to be temperamental at best. XDS is nice you can also look in to the Kahr line up they offer many 45 options in poly and metal.

Question. Since you are in a wheelchair why not conceal a fullsized weapon somewhere on the chair and perhaps a small backup on your person if the unlikely event of you being separated from it? Since attaching it to the chair eliminates the to biggest draw backs. Discomfort and weight.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 4, 2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Kevin_d77

Shield 9 loaded with +P and you're at .40 power with an extra round capacity
Old May 4, 2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Plumbnut

Tempermental Kimber ultra carry? Wow mine has never even burped. I was fully expecting a few during the break in period but I have about 1,000 rounds though it with out any type of failures.....even ammo related.

Everytime I have pulled the trigger it has went bang. I guess I'm just lucky but I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

Thanks for sharing
Old May 4, 2013, 10:14 PM   #9
scrubcedar

Kahr CW45 good,cheap, single stack .45. I found the grip to be better than any of it's competition.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:30 PM   #10
olddav

Your on the right track, buy the Springfield in 45 ACP a couple of extra mags and your covered. It will be easy to reload and you should be able to store the extra mags somewhere handy.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:34 PM   #11
BarryLee

Check out the new GLOCK G30S which is slimmer than the standard G30 and thus easier to conceal.

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g30s
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 5, 2013, 05:41 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

I have no experience with either, but the .40 can be pretty snappy in a full sized gun. This is even more of an issue in a smaller CCW gun.

I'd look towards either a 9mm or a .45.....

Also, if you haven't looked at Walther, their PPS is another great CCW option.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:28 AM   #13
g.willikers

gamorris,
A few questions about your condition:
How is your hand and arm strength?
Can you rapid fire the above mentioned pistols with accuracy?
Does the gun need to be on your person, or can it be holstered on the chair?
Old May 5, 2013, 09:31 AM   #14
customaquatics

what about a Taurus PT145? they can carry more then the regular 7 a full size 1911 can an they are on the smaller side.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old May 5, 2013, 02:51 PM   #15
Venom1956

Quote:
Tempermental Kimber ultra carry
No just short sub 4" 1911s period. Rob Pincus had a nice thread about them awhile ago. Its just 1911s were not intended to get that small. So they CAN have problems. If yours runs great I am glad to hear it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 5, 2013, 05:52 PM   #16
PITT5150

Glock G30, G36, or S&W M&P45C.
Old May 5, 2013, 07:59 PM   #17
gamorris

Thanks Fellas,
In regards to a few questions.
I push a ultra-light chair, which means there is not a lot of places to hide things. No armrest or backpack. The gun will have to be carried on my body, or perhaps attached to the chair like this >> http://www.scotworksllc.com/holster.html or this >> http://www.scotworksllc.com/concealedpouch.html
I am over 6' & 215 with large hands & plenty strong, so handling recoil is not an issue. I am more concerned with concealment & punch.
Many Thanks
Old May 5, 2013, 08:12 PM   #18
PITT5150

If you're gonna use that wheelchair rig, I would get a fullsize pistol like the G21, G20, or XDM 45. If you're gonna carry on your body, I would use a shoulder holster and wear a cover garment. So when it's warm use the wheelchair rig and when it's cold use a shoulder holster with a cover garment.
Old May 5, 2013, 08:32 PM   #19
Theohazard

With good hollow points, 9mm, .40, and .45 are all basically the same when it comes to terminal effectiveness. If you want a little more "punch", you're going to want something like a .357 mag or a 10mm. A S&W 686 Plus or a Glock 20 would give you plenty of firepower and would probably still fit in that wheelchair concealment pouch you linked to.
Old May 5, 2013, 08:35 PM   #20
JD0x0

340 grain .44 magnum, if you want "punch."
Old May 5, 2013, 09:02 PM   #21
Theohazard

Quote:
340 grain .44 magnum, if you want "punch."
No no, that's more like a roundhouse kick.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:13 PM   #22
ohen cepel

Lots of great options.

I'm a .357 fan and if you can go with a 4in+ barrel that is the way I would go. Excellent round, can practice with light .38's or load up to small bear level if needed.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old May 5, 2013, 11:43 PM   #23

I usually carry with a Diet coke, but I need to she'd a few Lbs so
Old May 6, 2013, 09:27 AM   #24
ScotchMan

Sigh.

I normally avoid starting caliber wars, but in this case it seems especially relevant. With modern hollowpoint ammo, 9mm is identical to .45 or .40. It's just easier to shoot. There is no "additional punch" unless you move up to a rifle or shotgun.

This is just the facts. It makes a lot of people mad because they are attached to other calibers. That's fine, but if you are making the best unbiased decision, you're carrying 9mm.

Since you can't retreat and likely can't move to a long arm, I would want as many rounds as possible. Since they all perform the same, that would be 9mm. Choose the full-size 9mm you like the best, but I would get off the idea of needing a .40 or .45. The only time I would advocate a larger caliber is if you can't get modern hollowpoint ammo; then .45 has a big advantage.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 6, 2013, 09:56 AM   #25
Dashunde

For pure concealment and punch I'd suggest a Glock 27 or Kahr Pm40.
Either would be great on the chair or your hip.
If you decide to mount it to the chair you might also like the Glock 29 in 10mm.

I'd have a look at mounting one of these to the chair, perhaps under front edge of the seat upside down with a holster mounted to the lid to keep it from falling out when its opened. It might work well for both your comfort and the guns security.
You'd also be mostly unlimited with what gun you pick.

Last edited by Dashunde; May 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM.