The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 12, 2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Model12Win

Selling a Parts Gun

Hello all!

I have an old S&W 642 here that is totaled. There are a number of slavagable parts though, such as the hammer, spring, trigger parts, cylinder, etc. but the frame and some parts like the bolt and hand are no good.

I want to sell the gun to get as much out of it as possible. I highly doubt it's fixable, and would probably cost hundreds to fix. No bueno.

What's the best way to go about selling a gun for parts in order to maximize profits on my end? Thanks!
Old November 12, 2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Sevens

I would imagine that the best chance of maximizing the total intake of cash would be to completely disassemble the revolver and list the parts specifically ans separately on Gunbroker and include pictures. This would seemingly also be the slowest method and the one that requires the most work on your end. Offering the cheapest method of shipping will encourage buyers.

There are a few dealers on Gunbroker that sell parts guns and nothing else -- a whole gun (typically) minus the frame. They list them in a 5-day auction, start around $40 for the whole thing and bidding tends to sit until the last day, and all the action happens on that last day. And prices seem to reflect the initial cost of the gun (if it were whole and working) and the relative "rarity" of the gun. The odd models that you don't see near as often bring more money.

Sadly, a S&W 642 wouldn't fit that description, I couldn't imagine a lofty selling price for one of those that's been parted out.

I'm curious how your 642 reached the "point of no return" ? Smith & Wesson has a pretty good reputation for backing their guns and without knowing more, I would say there is a good chance that they would take the revolver and issue you a solid credit toward a new replacement product...?
Old November 12, 2015, 06:02 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hope springs eternal as someone said, and a "project gun" at the right price will attract some folks. I would try to sell that junker as is.

If you part it out, you can theoretically get more for the parts, but you will be a long time selling them and the trouble involved is just not worth it. If you sell to a parts house, you will get $10 or so, hardly worth the cost of packing and shipping.

Jim
Old November 12, 2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Model12Win

Okay yes, I'll probably sell it as a parts gun.

Considering that postage and time would be a lot to pay for piecemealing it out.
Old November 12, 2015, 08:09 PM   #5
Sevens

Time & hassle would be a lot. Cost of postage?! Most everything on Gunbroker passes that cost on to the buyer.

One big difference not really mentioned thus far is that when you sell a bunch of random gun parts... you are talking a padded envelope or small box dropped in the mail. If you want to send a serialized frame -- now you are talking about shipping to FFL only. And many (not all) FFL's simply won't accept a firearm from folks who don't also have an FFL.

And when it comes to the buyers who want or need gun parts, the difference between "a bunch of parts I need or want" and "a gun or serialized frame" is the difference between checking the mail box and driving to their favorite FFL/gun store, doing 4473 & NICS, spending $15 to $30 for the dealer's part, etc etc.

In your OP, you said that the frame is one of the parts that is no good.
If that is for sure and it has little or nor actual value...

...seems to me that the frame is very much in the way of selling the parts.
Old November 13, 2015, 01:37 PM   #6
Skans

If you want to sell the parts and get as much out of it as possible, sell it on ebay or gunbroker. List each part in a separate auction. No reserves, but use a reasonable starting price. If you charge $5.00 shipping/handling, that should cover your costs.
Old November 14, 2015, 11:24 AM   #7
9x18_Walther

If you want to turn it over quick, try Numrich.
Old November 14, 2015, 03:37 PM   #8
Salmoneye

I too am interested in how the frame has been damaged beyond use...
Old November 14, 2015, 04:53 PM   #9
gyvel

Quote:
I'm curious how your 642 reached the "point of no return" ? Smith & Wesson has a pretty good reputation for backing their guns and without knowing more, I would say there is a good chance that they would take the revolver and issue you a solid credit toward a new replacement product...?
Smith & Wesson service is not what it used to be. I inquired about repairing a Model 38 on behalf of a local sheriff that had nothing more wrong with it than a broken trigger pin. They flatly refused to do anything about it, and they certainly didn't offer any kind of credit. Upon closer examination, I have realized that it is a pressed in part, not threaded, and can easily be made on my lathe.

If you're going to sell the parts individually, you're better off on eBay. Bidders seem to get crazy and your audience is larger.

Dealers on Gunbroker who list their parts are generally very proud of them. I rarely find any bargains for parts on GB.
SIFE
Old November 14, 2015, 05:07 PM   #10
tangolima

I stripped everything non-gun from the gun, including the barrel. Sold those on eBay. The frame, or receiver, I put it to the chop saw. Took before and after pictures clearly showing the serial #, to document that the gun was completely destroyed. The pictures would go to paper works pertaining to that firearm.
It took more time, but I believe I got more money, without FFL hassles.

-TL
Old November 15, 2015, 12:56 PM   #11
BigJimP

I would sell it "as is" as a project gun / parts gun....let the buyers decide.

Selling privately will always maximize your profit ...vs a local store, online, etc.../ sell privately at a gunshow, post a card at a range, etc...whateve is allowed in your state.
Old November 22, 2015, 03:36 PM   #12
gyvel

Internal parts can be replaced. What was wrong with the frame?
SIFE
Old November 22, 2015, 03:53 PM   #13
Model12Win

Okay guys, the gun is back with S&W.

They haven't contacted me, so I assume they must be fixing it. Not sure.

I'll keep everyone updated!
Old November 23, 2015, 02:28 AM   #14
Hook686

Be sure to follow with an update when you hear from S&W.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 23, 2015, 06:11 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win
Okay guys, the gun is back with S&W.

They haven't contacted me, so I assume they must be fixing it. Not sure.

I'll keep everyone updated!
I may have missed something but ... did you ever explain what was wrong with it? What needs to be repaired?