The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Lilswede1

Vacuum packing reloaded ammo?

Anyone try vacuum packing reloaded ammo (.223) in my case.
Most of my reloads may no be fired for a year or so and would like to keep them safe, dry and secure.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:31 PM   #2
NWPilgrim

Why? Ammo is not perishable. Mine is stored in ammo cans and plastic sportsman dry boxes. Within ammo boxes they are in ziplock bags or plastic ammo boxes for organization and labeling. Protect ammo from the elements and it will keep for decades. I've shot WWII and Vietnam era ammo in the original cans from US and European manufacturers.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:55 PM   #3
chris in va

I just stick them in a gallon freezer bag.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I would say buy some of the plastic 100 round ammo boxes to store them in. I have 5 of them I bought at Cabela's off the shelf. They cost less than $4 each. I have a couple for .38 spcl., .41 Mag(atualy for .44 Mag.) and one for .45-70 Govt. If you real concearned about moisture then put in a couple of silica packs. (The things that come in the little paper packs that say do not eat). I have ammo that was stored in cardboard boxes in the late 1960's buy my grandfather. It looks fine, and shoots just fine as well.

Note I have a lot of Remington CoreLokt for .30-30, and .30-06 from the late 1950's I still use it because it still works. (Grampa bought in the mid 1960's from a hardware store that was going out of buisness.) It is still in the original boxes. Stored in a closet.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

Vacuum packing is not going to harm your ammo. You can store it for a very long time that way. Tupperware containers, freezer bags and dry boxes will work just fine for years of storage. Climate controlled storage will allow ammo to be stored for many years with or without any type of container. Just keep the temperature down and the ammo dry.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

Well, it does tend to keep it from rattling.

Properly loaded, primed, crimped ammuntion is airtight already. Vacuum packing is gilding the lily for the internal ballistics.

Keeping the brass cases from tarninshing is another matter. If your ammo is expected to be exposed to caustic substances (ammonia, salt air, high humidity, etc.) sealing in zip-lock bags, heat-sealed bags, airtight containers (military ammo boxes or Tupperware-like containers) or vacuum-sealed bags would be my desire (and in that order of increasing security and doubling up if maybe - e.g. vacuum sealed bags inside airtight ammo boxes)

Generally not worth the trouble. Keep your ammo dry, cool and in humidity always lower than the dew point and you will be good for a very very long time.

Lost Sheep
Old January 13, 2013, 11:27 PM   #7
lamarw

I still have a small amount of both rifle and shotgun ammo I reloaded close to forty years ago (mid-70s). It still works just fine. I am still reloading, and I doubt I am going to make it another forty years. If I do, I doubt I will be shooting. I bet any of my remaining reloads left will still work to spec.

I have always kept the stuff in cardboard or plastic boxes stored inside surplus military ammo cans in a controlled environment (my home). I have never considered canning, freeze drying or other special processes.

There is a lot of old military surplus ammo sealed in tins, but the conditions for its storage were assuredly uncertain. I guess preppers who bury stuff might want more safeguards.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Mobuck

I vac-packed quite a lot of 223 ammo while on a loading binge. I'd got a bunch of vac bags that didn't work as well for meat as we'd hoped so used them topack the ammo. It's sealed in 40mm ammo cans which won't likely be opened until a much later date so I can't confirm the advantage of using the vac-pac. I know that I've shot ammo reloaded over 2 decades ago and it still performs to velocity and accuracy standards similar to when loaded.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:10 AM   #9
rajbcpa

I doubt that it is necessary to vacumm pack your ammo.

There was a loaded British cannon from 1775 found in a musium in NYC last weekend. When they pulled the cannon ball the black powder was still active and this active round could have been fired.

That has to tell you something because this cannon did not even have a metalic cartrige.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:24 AM   #10
1-DAB

metal ammo cans have excellent seals.

we moved from MD to NM, going up 7000 feet in elevation. when we got here, i eventually opened my ammo cans, and i heard a distinct 'whoosh' as i broke the seal. tells me that the seal was water and air tight.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:43 AM   #11
serf 'rett

Ziploc bags are less costly. One quart or one pint plastic freezer containers stack nicely.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Pyzon

Other than opinions that vac packing is a waste of time and money, is it the consensus that no harm will be caused to the ammo ?
Old January 15, 2013, 09:48 PM   #13
snuffy

I'll start vacuum packing packing my reloads when somebody shows me factory ammo that was vacuum packed! Can't find any? Well there ya go, it's not necessary.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 15, 2013, 11:52 PM   #14
dacaur

Its obviously not necessary, but the first time you pick up a ziplock upside down and spill 100 rounds on the ground, you are going to reconsider your storage methods... I did, well, OK, I did the second time ....

I vacuum pack mine, just just till the bag tightens around the rounds a bit, I don't really care about sealing air out, I just want them to stay in there till I am ready for them to come out, and vacuum pack bags are way tougher than most ziplocks, plus they dont open till you open them, no matter which direction you are looking when you pick them up ....
Old January 16, 2013, 12:46 AM   #15
Lilswede1

Thanks for the input - all worth reading

Been using ziplock and experienced same malady - ammo all over.
Also the bullets poke thru the bags and then the ammo starts to oxidize.
I have 2000+ .223 reloaded and not enough ammo boxes.
I use Sierra Blitzking bullets so most plastic boxes are too short.
MTM 50 rd. boxes work well but I'd have to buy 40.
Also, I like my ammo to "look" good and vac-packing it should keep it that way.
Don't make it shoot any better but I feel better.
Just being anal I guess.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:03 AM   #16
iraiam

Surplus ammo boxes are the way to go, if you want, toss a desiccant pack in with the ammo, but i don't believe it's necessary.

I buy the 840 round size regularly at the Army Surplus store for $15, the big name stores want too much for them.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 16, 2013, 04:47 AM   #17
wet

Two years ago My cousin gave me a gun, belt and holster that I left in her parents garage befor I went to vietnam in 1967 it had 45 long colts in the belt loops that were green with corrosion. They shot just fine.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:13 AM   #18
Ricky Bobby

I say, do whatever tickles your fancy.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:43 AM   #19
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I say, do whatever tickles your fancy.
+1 on this. Doesn't really matter as long as you're happy with the results of it. That's all that matters.