The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2008, 10:20 AM   #1
SDLAW

Hollow Base Bullets

OK here's the deal. I can get a good deal on Win hollow base Hollow points for my 380, but I don't know much about them. Can these be loaded the same as fully jacketed bullets and will they work for personal defense? What kind of velocity and accuracy can I get from these bullets?
Old April 30, 2008, 10:44 AM   #2
zxcvbob

Are they lead bullets, or jacketed? How hollow are the bases (if that makes any sense) -- as in do they look kind of like airgun pellets with a thin skirt, or is the hollow base more of a depression?
Old May 1, 2008, 02:22 PM   #3
saands

I've used Berry's hollow-based bullets in my 1911 for years ... they give a 230 grain ball (FMJ) profile to the loaded round while only using 185gr of lead. If your bullets are similarly constructed, you will end up with lower velocities (and pressures) than you might expect due to the increased effective case volume. If you have a chrony, then you can just up the charges accordingly and all should be well. I have not seen HB bullets in the smaller calibers, though, so yours may be more the slight depression type. The accuracy from mine has been as good as any other bullet and at the lighter weight, they are cheaper.

hope this helps,

Saands
Old May 1, 2008, 03:00 PM   #4
kestak

Greetings,

A while ago, I bought winchester 9mm hollow base FMJ 115 grains FMJ bullets. I was curious of what was the difference and asked on a few boards what was the deal.

I was told you load them by weight like any other bullet. The main advantage is the pressure of the powder burning creates a pushing effect in the cone of the bullet, expanding back of the bullet wall creating a more constant tight on the cannon walls. If you reload for accuracy, you may gain a greater and more consistant accuracy that may approach the lead bullets accuracy for a FMj type bullet.

Here I am not saying that FMJ bullets are a lot less precise than lead bullets, but when you do a standard deviation, I was told lead bullets are more precise than FMJ bullets because the lead bullets difform better for the grooves of the cannon.

Is it true, is it false? I gave the benefit of the doubt to the 2-3 guys enriching the conversation.

Thank you