The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 9, 2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

So bottom line: Is one more RELIABLE than the other? 6.8 spc vs. 6.5 grendel

Really, if reliability is a wash, then it's whichever floats your boat, but is reliability really a wash? Is 6.5 G truly *as reliable* as 6.8 spc? Or not?

Reading midwayusa.com reviews of magazines from various makers for each would lead one to believe that 6.8 is more reliable, but is that a fair reflection of reality?
Old June 9, 2014, 05:41 PM   #2
HKFan9

Rounds are not more or less reliable... components and guns are more or less reliable.

When you start jamming rounds in magazines that were not designed for them.. issues can arise I would imagine.
Old June 9, 2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

The components are mainly what I'm asking about. Are the available components of 6.5 G *just as reliable* or *less reliable*, on average, than 6.8 spc, is the question? Real world actual reliability based on the actual components available. And yes, some rounds are more or less reliable than others - case taper and other factors can play a role.
Old June 9, 2014, 06:46 PM   #4
bedlamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKFan9
When you start jamming rounds in magazines that were not designed for them.. issues can arise I would imagine.
Why would you even consider this a problem when magazines have been specifivally designed to work with both the 6.8 and 6.5 and have an excellent reputation?

If you want to pick nits about the gun, the 6.5 has a thinner web around the bolt than the 6.8, but broken bolts can be prevented with either stronger materials and/or lower pressure in the Grendel. Otherwise reliability is essentially equal.
Old June 9, 2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
Otherwise reliability is essentially equal.
That's what I'm wanting to know....I may end up with a Grendel yet someday.