The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2017, 12:58 PM   #1
OhioGuy

Glock will be the next US Military sidearm?

I've been following (loosely) the "Army Modular Handgun" program that's supposed to replace the Beretta 92/M9 with a striker-fired, modular gun that will be all things to all people and therefore save money (like the F-35, right! )

I've heard three people in the last two weeks (to gun store salesmen, then last night my range owner/instructor) say that Glock has won the contract to provide pistols to the military.

The latest I've heard or been able to find was that it's narrowed down to Sig, Glock and Beretta with S&W eliminated and Ruger dropping out.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything like this?
Old January 17, 2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Model12Win

Oh you heard it from gun shop salesman, huh? MUST be true!
Old January 17, 2017, 01:13 PM   #3
OhioGuy

Absolutely! It's a scientific fact that gunstore guys are always right!

I just thought it was odd that I heard this three times in a short span. So I wondered if there was something to it.

Last edited by OhioGuy; January 17, 2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old January 17, 2017, 01:13 PM   #4
5whiskey

Everyone here has "heard" lot's of stuff. One forum member who had a friend of a friend who worked at the pentagon dictated a couple of years ago that the army would announce the winner in three weeks, and that the winner would be the SIG entry (IIRC). And.......

Nothing was announce. Years have passed. This has seemed to have driven men mad for 4 or 5 years now. I don't think the Army is any closer to picking anything today than they were 5 years ago. The main reason why is handguns will not turn the tide of a war. Replacing the aging Beretta with a newer, better design will make the military approximately .00001% better. There are a lot of bigger fish to fry.

Eventually the Army will pick something. I think that something will likely be a Glock. I wouldn't dare guess the time frame, though, as it has proven to be a fools errand.
Old January 17, 2017, 01:35 PM   #5
SansSouci

We need to get the hell outta NATO.

We had the perfect military sidearm until a delusional bureaucrat thought it wise to go with the 9MM.

We need to get back to where we began, both as a nation (no entangling alliances) and with protection for our soldiers that works.
Old January 17, 2017, 02:50 PM   #6
JDBerg

The Army Special Forces, the Navy SEALS, and Air Force pilots all have the Glock 19 so this might be the shape of things to come for the rest of the U.S. Military.
Old January 17, 2017, 02:50 PM   #7
Model12Win

Quote:
We had the perfect military sidearm until a delusional bureaucrat thought it wise to go with the 9MM.
+1

The M1911A1 was and is the greatest battle pistol ever devised. Hopefully with a new man in office he will re-gift our forces with this pistol. The decision to switch to 9mm NATO was the worst thing to ever happen to our military in terms of equipment. Many men have died due to the 9mm NATO's inability to stop a determined enemy with one shot. The .45 ACP has tremendously better knock down factor that will kill the target with one shot anywhere on the body. This is with ball ammo too, not hollow points.

TRUMP! THIS MADNESS HAS TO STOP!! GIVE OUR BOYS THE M1911A1 AGAIN!!! DO IT FER 'MERICA!!!
Old January 17, 2017, 03:02 PM   #8
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:
+1

The M1911A1 was and is the greatest battle pistol ever devised. Hopefully with a new man in office he will re-gift our forces with this pistol. The decision to switch to 9mm NATO was the worst thing to ever happen to our military in terms of equipment. Many men have died due to the 9mm NATO's inability to stop a determined enemy with one shot. The .45 ACP has tremendously better knock down factor that will kill the target with one shot anywhere on the body. This is with ball ammo too, not hollow points.

TRUMP! THIS MADNESS HAS TO STOP!! GIVE OUR BOYS THE M1911A1 AGAIN!!! DO IT FER 'MERICA!!!
Wouldn't it be better if instead of a 1911, they received a real pistol instead?
Old January 17, 2017, 03:12 PM   #9
amprecon

Yes, 9mm's and beret's, downhill from there
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old January 17, 2017, 03:16 PM   #10
Emerson Biggies

Change?????

You can bet that if any pistol change happens, the U.S. Government will crush/shred/melt down all the millions of M9's that we taxpayers paid for.
Way to go Uncle Sam! Keep us safe!
Old January 17, 2017, 03:54 PM   #11
P71pilot

I really wish they would go back to what truly belongs, a 1911, if we went with a colt 1991 or Sprigfield milspec, the cost per unit, in such a largw order would probably be pretty low, maybe $450 per unit
Old January 17, 2017, 04:31 PM   #12
zincwarrior

1911s are heavier, cost more, have less capacity, and more finicky frankly. now I know just hand tossing a .45 ACP will tear the turret off a Tiger Tank whereas a wet hanky will stop a 9mm , but capacity remains a thing.
Old January 17, 2017, 05:04 PM   #13
Doc Holliday 1950

OhioGuy,
Ruger was never in it. They refused. Check back on my earlier post last year in March or April. S&W went into a partnership with General Dynamics, the US's favorite military piggy bank. Maybe they knew something we don't know.
I love my new Glock 19 and my brother swears by his older version & Senator McCain kept going on about American made which means almost anyone is in the race.

Doc

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; January 17, 2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old January 17, 2017, 05:27 PM   #14
P71pilot

How much is a new Beretta M9? A new Springfield Mil spec is about $600, i am pretty sure thats what about a new beretta M9 equivalent costs. I also disagree about finicky. A properly put together pistol with decent quality parts, and good magazines, will not be any more finicky than anything else
Old January 17, 2017, 05:33 PM   #15
reddog81

I heard they were going back to 1911's, but they have to wait until they get all the rifles replaced with new Garands...

While I love my 1911's if I was going out on a patrol I'd prefer a double stack 9mm over a 1911 any day. With 2 spare mags you've 46 rounds vs 22. However a Beretta wouldn't be my first choice.
Old January 17, 2017, 06:09 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

So will the official US Military Glock have a manual safety?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 17, 2017, 06:24 PM   #17
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson Biggies
You can bet that if any pistol change happens, the U.S. Government will crush/shred/melt down all the millions of M9's that we taxpayers paid for.
Not necessarily.

It will take a LONG time to replace all of the M9's in U.S. inventory, so most will initially be stockpiled for parts, and for replenishment for units that aren't yet ready to be equipped with the new pistol. The latter category will probably include a bunch of replacement pistols for units that suddenly realize that many of their M9s are totally unserviceable once it's clear that better-equipped units are retiring nicer ones.

After that, a bunch will be kept in inventory more or less indefinitely for who-knows-what, others will be distributed to reasonably trustworthy but less wealthy non-NATO allies who are happy with U.S. hand-me-downs (e.g. Jordan and Mexico), and yet others may be distributed to the puppet government or rebel group du jour in some future democracy-promotion project. Some of that last category may wind up shooting back at U.S. troops or shooting up some public space in Western Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P71pilot
How much is a new Beretta M9? A new Springfield Mil spec is about $600, i am pretty sure thats what about a new beretta M9 equivalent costs.
Keep in mind that we're not simply discussing the purchase price of new pistols; we're also talking loads of spare parts, training manuals, hands-on training for armorers, and other ongoing support for the many decades that the new pistol will remain in service.
Old January 17, 2017, 07:18 PM   #18
tallball

One of the most fanatically rabid political, caliber, and nonsense threads ever.
Old January 17, 2017, 07:21 PM   #19
Jeff2222

Glock won the FBI contract with a new design.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ck-17m-leaked/

There are lots of rumors that the army will adopt the glock as well.
Old January 17, 2017, 07:23 PM   #20
ZeroTX

1911? Come on guys, be realistic. .45ACP is great, but it's not a NATO round and a 1911 only holds 7 or 8 rounds. A Glock 17 holds 17.... I'll take 17rd of 9mm over 7 of .45 any day of the week. I have a 1911, but it's a range toy. My Glock is my home protection.
Old January 17, 2017, 07:24 PM   #21
ritepath

The last thing we need is to send the glockers already inflated egos into the stratosphere.
Old January 17, 2017, 07:33 PM   #22
jmr40

Quote:
A little history lesson.

The 38 Super was developed at the request of Law enforcement officers because they found 45 ACP lacking during the 1920's and 30's

The US military was extremely disappointed in both the 45 and 1911 at the end of WW-2. Most soldiers did not like the gun nor the 45 ACP round.

Extensive testing done by the military in 1946 proved the 9mm was the better round for what the military needed. They found zero difference in effectiveness against human threats and the 9mm round fared far better in defeating barriers. Not to mention less recoil and more ammo capacity. The only reason we didn't change to 9mm in 1946 was budget cuts after the war.

Most of what people think they know about the 45 and 1911 came from mostly fictional writings done after the war. The 45 and 1911 only survived as long as it did due to political bureaucrats who chose to believe the hyperbole rather than the facts.

Winston Churchill
Old January 17, 2017, 07:36 PM   #23
Doc Holliday 1950

Okay. Who or what company has the ability to be able to handle a & 1.2 Billion
deal???

CarGuyChris laid it out partially. Most of the Arms Companies can handle
may the initial supply, but after that???

Our personal likes and dislikes matter zip on this. Besides, the Army has a bad habit of taking forever to make up its mind.

Doc

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; January 17, 2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old January 17, 2017, 07:46 PM   #24
TunnelRat

This topic comes up every few months. There is no answer currently. This competition could well be canceled similar to the Joint Combat Pistol program. Or it could not. You'll know when you know.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 17, 2017, 08:09 PM   #25
Bourbon Fan

The standard issue handgun is probably the most meaningless weapon in the US arsenal. There are 10 makes/models on the commercial market that could fill the role pretty much interchangeably. Instead of spending 5 years and $100,000,000 studying which of the 10 to adopt.....the DoD should just put names in a hat and pick at random.