The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 24, 2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Smit

So where do I go from here?

Folks,

For the sake of a long-winded explanation, I will briefly summarize my issue and hopefully receive some feedback....

A year and a half ago, I bought a S&W E Series 1911 from my local gun store. Shortly thereafter, I began putting in some range time and ran into a FTF issue (nose up in the chamber). It appeared that in every other mag, the first or last round in the magazine would cause a FTF. I read up on some issues the early production E Series had and called up S&W. I was able to send it in and they serviced it with a return letter stating everything they did.
Everything looked and worked well at first but after a little while the issue returned. I replaced the factory spring with a Wolff 18lb to see if that would help but it does not seem to. I also have been using Wilson Mags since I purchased it so I doubt that's the issue. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be as simple as a recoil spring? Is 18lbs too heavy? I could call S&W back and explain but wanted to get some opinions first. Other than the random FTF it shoots great. Thanks,
FYI: I have used Federal Champion, Remington UMC, Winchester White Box....to name a few, all FMJ. I also keep the gun clean and well oiled. The picture below is not one I took, but is the type of FTF I am describing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jam.jpg (190.6 KB, 81 views)
Old February 24, 2013, 02:53 PM   #2
TunnelRat

What did the return letter you got say they did? This is very reminiscent of problems I had with my own S&W 1911.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 24, 2013, 03:10 PM   #3
g.willikers

Could be just an extractor without enough tension on the cases.
Since you say it works for awhile, maybe the external extractor needs occasional cleaning, or a stiffer spring.
Or it could be a magazine problem.
If you have multiple magazines, does it do it with all of them?

Last edited by g.willikers; February 24, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Smit

Yes I have tried multiple magazines. The factory S&W magazines actually caused more FTF than the Wilsons.
The return letter I received stated they replaced the extractor pin, polished the feed-ramp, did some slide to frame fitting, and something else that was cosmetic. I found it interesting that they did the slide/frame work on a brand new gun.....
Old February 24, 2013, 06:53 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
I found it interesting that they did the slide/frame work on a brand new gun
That's what they had to do on mine as well. That and adjust the extractor tension. After that it was right as rain.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 24, 2013, 07:35 PM   #6
SauerGrapes

Have you disasembled the mags and cleaned them?
I'm with the other guys, sounds like mag or extractor issue. Make sure the ''claw'' on the extractor doesn't have any build up on it.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old February 24, 2013, 08:00 PM   #7
UtahHunting

Several years ago I had a Llama (I know, don't ask). It did this exact same thing you are describing, the pic you posted are exactly what I was experiencing. I tried every magazine out there with new springs, etc and nothing would fix the issue. Finally after lots of research and trial and error, replacing parts, etc found out is was the barrel causing the issue. Replaced barrel and no more issues, had something to do with the way the bullet was feeding into the barrel.

Sold the gun with full disclosure after that frustrating experience.
Old February 24, 2013, 11:13 PM   #8
j357

Just a guess on my part, but appears the offending round is a 200g LSWC. If so, I would suggest slightly longer or perhaps shorter OAL and more crimp. You may be working with too many variables to determine if it is the weapon at fault. If that is a LSWC, can you comment as to whether it reliably feeds ball ammo 99.9% of the time?
Old February 25, 2013, 05:10 AM   #9
chris in va

Agree. Your gun doesn't like SWC bullet designs. Switch to a LRN for which the 1911 platform was designed.
Old February 25, 2013, 05:20 AM   #10
Ben Towe

Quote:
Just a guess on my part, but appears the offending round is a 200g LSWC.
If I understand correctly, the photo is not the OP's weapon, only an example of the type of malfunction he is having. He also mentioned all ammo fired is FMJ, and all the brands he mentions are generally loaded with 230 grain ball...
Old February 25, 2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Smit

Mr. Ben Towe is correct....

All the ammo I have used are round nose, no hollow points.
Also, the magazines used are Wilson's which are practically brand new still.
Again, The pic is just a sample I found similar to what my FTF looks like, when I get a chance I will try to post real pics of the FTF up on here.
Does anyone know why it's always the first or last round, or is this just a coincidence? I am also hesitant to do any tweaking on the extractor; any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,