The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2010, 10:14 PM   #26
TXGunNut

Don't knock the Core-Lokt, IMHO it's a premium bullet in a plastic bag. Latest 30-06 doesn't like them much but 45-70 Guide Gun likes them better than any bullet so far. Have had good results with Hornady Spire Points and Nosler Partitions (165 and 180) as well.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 15, 2010, 07:36 PM   #27
farmerboy

my number two 30-06 bullet would be a tie between a Sierra Gameking and a Remington Core-Loke
Old October 15, 2010, 07:51 PM   #28
medic15al

The 165grn seems to be the best balanced weight and the Sierra Gamekings have excellent accuracy and performace reputation. Nosler Ballistic Tips as well.
Old November 4, 2010, 10:39 AM   #29
svnabn

30/06

I use Sierra 165 grain BTHP, 3.31 OAL, Reloader 15 @ 49.2 grains. Very accurate out of my Remington 700. Taken whitetails with this load, love it. Works in my rifle, tryat your own risk, dont wanna be sued!
Old November 4, 2010, 03:22 PM   #30
TXJohn

farmerboy, I have to agree with you on the Sierra's have taken a lot of different game with the Gamekings and Pro Hunters. These bullets and IMR-4064 is what I shoot out of my 06s
Old November 10, 2010, 10:29 PM   #31
A_Gamehog

Would you eat a leaded piece of meat?

Use Barnes TSX and you can't go wrong. There are more accurate bullets but if your family's safety from eating your game is a concern use copper. They have never let me down. Never had one "blow up" with 30-06 and 150- 180 grain bullets. How many times have you seen the front half of a deer trimmed from the jello looking destruction of Core-Lokts?

Attached Blacktail photo from Oregon. The "exit" side of the shot deer. He was walking from my left to right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0078.jpg (258.7 KB, 41 views)
Old November 11, 2010, 06:56 AM   #32
farmerboy

Gqamedog, thats some **** poor shot placement if you ask me. Yes you or someone still got him and no I dont know all the details but am stating what I do know. Nice looking deer though
Old November 11, 2010, 09:34 AM   #33
A_Gamehog

Texas "Heartshot" with a Core-Lokt 180

Texas Heartshot with 30-06 Core-Lokt. Nice pig though 1/3 wasted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hartlung.jpg (77.3 KB, 40 views)
Old November 11, 2010, 10:04 AM   #34
Mike Irwin
Staff

Farmerboy,

As stated, that's the exit wound. There's no indication if the shot was at right angles to the deer, or POI was farther ahead and POE was farther back, resulting from an angling shot.

In any event that's a lung shot and would result in a fairly rapid kill, I would think.

Years ago I shot a doe that was quartering towards me. The bullet caught her in the front shoulder but still took out the heart and lungs.

Looking at just the placement of the wound you'd think it would have been a bad shot, but the angle made it an excellent shot. She staggered a bit and ran about 50 yards before plowing in and cashing out.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 11, 2010, 01:52 PM   #35
Rifleman1776

150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips or Partitions.
Both perform beautifully.
Old November 12, 2010, 04:24 PM   #36
ipscchef

@ farmer boy,
I think you are being a bit picky here, while not the best shot I have ever seen, I have hit a few deer in the sme spot that would cause such an exit hole and they seemed to expire just fine. But You do lose some ribmeat which I personaly like.
Back to Bullets, I see that only one person on here so far uses Ballistic Tips, But I still swear by them for the smaller critters.
In my gorgeous!! German, Deluxe, Left Handed, .300 MkV!!,(although it is a 24"bbl with a 1 in 12 twist) Its favorite bullet is Rem Factory 180 CoreLocts. Just under 2" @ 200yds if I do my job.
JMHO

Bill H.
Old November 12, 2010, 10:55 PM   #37
TXGunNut

Rib meat, ipscchef? Tell me more! Feel free to PM, most folks don't care to hear chefs discussing cooking topics.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old November 13, 2010, 10:05 AM   #38
farmerboy

Rib meat? Pm me also with ideas, I always throw mine away. Never found them to be worth it unless you got good way.
Old November 13, 2010, 10:43 AM   #39
10 Spot Terminator

How about splitting the difference between the partition and the A-Frame for overall ballistic and terminal perfomance and use the Barnes 168 gr TSX. These are devastaing bullets that are known for high weight retention and killing capabilities usually reserved for bullets of heavier grain weights. There are dozens of testimonials from big game hunts in Africa that make you set up and take notice. I use these in my 300 Win Mag and have anchored several deer and a nice Elk with this one. They dont need to be driven to magnum velocities either. Tests show good exspansion at 2,200 fps. By the way , those 168s' shoot 1 in. at 200 yds in my browning
Old November 13, 2010, 10:54 AM   #40
Hawg

I like Hornady 165 gr. BTBT for hunting.