The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 1, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1
W. C. Quantrill

Blood speckled meat

Our late whitetail season opened today. While I was feeding cattle, I spotted a nice doe bedded in some brush. She did not pay me much attention, and when I was done feeding, I grabbed my rifle and put a bullet between her eyes. Brain shot.

I went immediately to the animal and field dressed her right there and noticed that the diaphragm was blood speckled, and also noticed after pulling the hide that some muscle was also blood speckled. I presume that is caused by the brain shot---------------?

Anyone have any other info? The animal was tremendously fat and healthy otherwise. I have not seen this before. But then I havent made a brain shot before either. But when they are bedded and the only good target is the back of the head, you take what you have.

WC
Old January 1, 2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Pahoo

Once had a friend call me to tell me about a doe that his Daughter had just hit. Couldn't see it going to waste so I went out, took it to one of my local hunting spots and proceeded to clean it. The meat was riddled with blod spot or better yet, blood clots in all sized. Turned this one into sticks, brats and summer sausage. Not sure this is what you are seeing but nothing else comes to mind. I think you are definitely looking at some kind of trauma. Have never seen a shot cause this but who know ??? ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2010, 06:56 PM   #3
LateNightFlight

Quote:
I presume that is caused by the brain shot---------------?
I suspect something else. I have no idea what, but I've head shot a few deer over the years and didn't notice anything similar to what you're describing.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:27 PM   #4
wild willy

I don't know what causes it but I've seen what I think your talking about in domestic hogs If your deer is like the hogs the little specks are all thru the meat when you cut it up
Old January 1, 2010, 07:28 PM   #5
W. C. Quantrill

Same here, that is why I'm asking. Calling Dr. Wecht,,,calling Dr. Wecht.....
Old January 1, 2010, 07:38 PM   #6
ZeSpectre

Growing up on the farm (beef) we'd get that on rare occasion with a cow or two. Usually it was nothing, sometimes it was parasites.

Unfortunately that was too long ago for me to remember much more in the way of advice about how to determine if the meat is safe or not.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:41 PM   #7
W. C. Quantrill

I am thinking that it has something to do with the head shot, and I am thinking that it also may have something to do with stress at death. I know what you are saying about hogs, I have butchered a bunch of them. If you stress them, you will get PSE MEAT or blood spattered. I have seen guys go to shoot them and not get a good kill shot and have to shoot them again and then you get the PSE or spotted meat.

Like you say, I have been shooting deer since about 1960, and I have not seen blood spotted meat like this. This was an early spring doe, had not come into heat and was not bred. Young, immature, and totally healthy appearing. Had a full belly of alfalfa and corn grain. Stumps me.

PSE is the industry term for Pale, Soft, and Exudative meaning that the carcass will not go into rigor, the meat will not set up firm, it remains flabby and leaks fluid. It is technically edible, and in a plant will end up going to sausage, because it is not attractive in wholesale or retail cuts.
Old January 2, 2010, 01:23 AM   #8
reloader28

Quantrill

I tagged a deer this year that had been hit by a car. Normally you dont want to do that as its usually ruined. I checked it out tho and it didnt look too bad. I didnt want to waste it.

BTW, it happened right in front of me and I finished it off so I knew how fresh it was.

Anyway, It hung for 3 days and I had to keep a cardboard under it the whole time. Like you said, when we cut it up in 3 days it wasnt stiff and was still leaking.

Made me wonder, but it was OK. Saved at least 3/4 of the meat from him. I dont remember seeing blood spots but it seems like the meat might have been little paler tho. I have some thawing for jerky tomorrow, but I dont know if its the same deer.