The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2009, 02:42 PM   #1
cek

Old primers & powder

It's been since about 1995 since I last reloaded. I'm excited to get back into in now that my son has turned of age and wants to shoot with me.

I have a large supply of Winchester WSP & WLP primers (purchased in anticpation of the Clinton ban) as well as 2 mostly full bottles of smokeless powder that has been stored since in a cool/dry place.

Are there any concerns about the age of these components?

Looking forward to being involved in this online commmunity...
Old July 12, 2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Joefo

I would doubt very much if there is a concern. I have used stuff 10 times as old as that. If it has been stored half way decent it shouldn't be a problem.
Old July 12, 2009, 03:13 PM   #3
gendoc

thats right!!!

i gotta bout 25lbs of win680 thats over twenty years old !!!
it seems that it performs better now than it did back then
but i really know why!!!! its not cuz of tha powder
if ya keep it good, it'll treat ya good... thats what i say!!!
kinda like my ol'lady...........

Last edited by gendoc; July 12, 2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old July 12, 2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Randy 1911

I have shot bullets that were loaded in the late 50's and had no problems. Primers will last a very long time. The powder will still be good if it don't smell acrid.
Old July 12, 2009, 07:19 PM   #5
VaFisher

Dido on all the above post.
Old July 13, 2009, 02:48 AM   #6
rc

No worries

As long as you've not stored the stuff in a shed that has extreme temperature or moisture variation you should have the same results you did back in the 90s. I started reloading in about 95 and although I don't think I have any powder that old, I have some from about 98 or 99 that's still just fine and I never really considered that it was too old as it's been fine every time I've needed it this whole time. I believe primers are even more resistant to deterioration than powder. If these components went bad in their packaging they would go bad in your reloads which from my experience will last virtually as long as factory ammo when stored properly. rc
Old July 13, 2009, 07:03 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

there's 'old', and then there's 'really old'

I still have-n-use some powders from 70's marked "Hercules"
Old July 13, 2009, 08:18 AM   #8
jjohnson

No Sweat

Right.... of course, it may be time to buy more components in anticipation of the Obama administration doing something to infringe on your liberty.

Sure, the old stuff should be just fine - unless you stored it in a really hostile environment (like a garage in Miami). If your components were stored in an environment that you like - for temps and humidity - they should be fine for decades to come.

And... yeah, I'm using some primers and powder right now that I know for certain date back to at the least the early '70s. No problems so far.
Old July 13, 2009, 09:30 AM   #9
margiesex

Enjoy!

Use them with assurance that the above comments are "on target!" as I, too, am using older primers and powder.

Enjoy the hobby and God bless.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old July 13, 2009, 09:32 AM   #10
Sevens

Quote:
I would doubt very much if there is a concern. I have used stuff 10 times as old as that. If it has been stored half way decent it shouldn't be a problem.
Smells like BS!
Are you saying that you've used stuff that was one hundred forty years old at the reloading bench?
Old July 13, 2009, 10:14 AM   #11
Steviewonder1

Old Primers and Powder

I am currently using pre-Clinton primers and year old powder. My pre-Obama primers will likely start getting used in about 3-5 years. I can get all the powder I want for around $23-25 per pound in single pound and around $20 per pound in 4-8lb canisters.
Old July 13, 2009, 05:47 PM   #12
Slamfire

I am still using up a stock of 1994 vintage WLR primers. They shoot great. I recall using 1000 60's vintage CCI pistol primers, and they all went bang.

Powders. The Army scraps double based powders at 20 years, single based 45 years.

Positive indications that powder has gone bad is if it is turning red. Also signs of advanced deterioration are an extremely bitter smell (due to nitric acid gas), or a lot of rust inside the can (due to nitric acid gas).

If you have these indications then the powder should be poured on the lawn.

Cool/dry/out of the sunlight are excellent storage conditions.

Hot, extreme hot, humid, wet, is bad for powder. Exposure to sunlight is bad as this stuff is a polymer and sunlight probably breaks the stuff down. Like the paint finish on your car.
Old July 15, 2009, 01:41 PM   #13
Dannyl

OK if stored in the right conditions

Hi, about 3 months ago I had a really good surprise while sorting out my garage.
I stubled upon some handgun and riflew ammo, as well as a few tins of powder and 2000 primers that I had "misplaced" when we moved house in 2000. ( still trying to figure our why I had never opened those 2 cardboard
boxes)
some of the stuff dated back to 97' .

All was stored in a relatively stable temperature and free of moisture. Since then I have shot most of those (over 500) handgun rounds, the rifle cartridges also worked fine, and the same applies to the powder and primers.

Out of curiosity I loaded two batches of 30-06 ammo. one with components that are over 10 years old, the other with components straight off the shops shelves, and both batches timed the same velocities.

The test was done at the test lab of the local powder manufacture -SOMCHEM (who are very friendly to the reloading public) so I know that the readings are as accurate as one can get.

If they are indeed in good condition, then go ahead and use them.

Cheers,
Danny
Old July 16, 2009, 01:07 AM   #14
epr105

No problem using the old stuff as long as it was stored in a cool dry place. I put my reloading stuff into storage in 1997. I took everything out in 2003 and loaded up a bunch of ammo with no problems at all.
EPR105
Old July 16, 2009, 01:51 AM   #15
Anticonn

Quote:
I am currently using pre-Clinton primers and year old powder. My pre-Obama primers will likely start getting used in about 3-5 years.
Is anyone else amused by the standard of measuring the age of a firearm or components by presidential elections?

I know it's a sad state of affairs, but come on, you gotta appreciate the humor in it.

No? Fine, I'll be quiet
Old July 16, 2009, 07:55 AM   #16
Sidewinder72

No problem with using old powder or primers as long as they have been stored right. Test it to find out.
Old July 16, 2009, 08:20 AM   #17
ken22250

theres no problem using old primers, most of the primers i have are 10+ years old, and as long as the powder still smells a little sweet, like ether, its fine to use. i still got most of my pre-clinton primers and powder, when bush got in office, i bought new stuff, and when the election was on its way, i stalked up again, i dont think ill need my clinton primers for a few years
ken
Old July 16, 2009, 10:52 AM   #18
plainsman456

I still use primers and powder that i got in 1978 and they all go BOOM.it should work.Good Luck
Old July 16, 2009, 12:18 PM   #19
GeauxTide

+1Weshoot2

Got some old Hercules Unique and Blue Dot that I still use.
Old July 17, 2009, 09:26 PM   #20
Wulfmann

I was given some REM LP primers from the late 40's and everyone shot fine in my Kimber 1911 and accurately

I had a pound of H4831 that stated on the box "This is WWII surplus powder and not guaranteed to shoot to spec".
It did shoot to spec.

It is not the age.
If stored properly powder and primers will last longer than loaded ammo because the various chemicals are not in contact.

Wulfmann