The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 1999, 02:57 AM   #1
don leo

I just started reloading and I'm in the process of cleaning my cases first. I'm sure there are two schools of thought to this, but I'd like to hear some opinions: Should I deprime before I tumble my cases, or should I deprime after tumbling. Any thoughts, please...
Old December 8, 1999, 03:44 AM   #2
Grayfox

Clean first then deprime. Otherwise you'll be spending alot of time digging media out of the flash holes.
Old December 8, 1999, 08:01 AM   #3
Bianchi

What are you reloading?
for 45acp I tumble right after shooting then load in a progressive.(decapping on the first die)
for 308 I tumble, decapp on a single stage. Tumble after decapping to get the lube off. then load.
Old December 8, 1999, 09:42 AM   #4
JoeHatley

I always use a Lee de-capping die to pop the primers out 1st. After tumbling any flash holes that are plugged are usually cleaned up durring the primer pocket cleaning stage. I use an RCBS Trim Mate to make this really quick. If by chance a flash hole is still plugged(they never are) I leave the decapping pin in the sizing die to ensure I never have one slip by.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old December 8, 1999, 11:23 AM   #5
TheOtherMikey

A paper clip is an essential piece of reloading equipment. Makes quick work of a plugged flash hole. LOL Mikey
Old December 8, 1999, 03:10 PM   #6
Big Bunny

You could use coarser media so the flash-hole does not get plugged, but you are going to carefully inspect EACH case anyway.. arn't you ..(its your eyes etc!) - so what the hell, deprime them all and hook out any surplus when you inspect each case before reloading, otherwise leaving the primers in makes it harder to see the case is clear-otherwise you could have some "crunches" from your die as you de-cap.

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old December 12, 1999, 04:44 AM   #7
Blue Heeler

I reload on a Dillon Square Deal.If I don't
clean the cases first then I get crud on the
primer phase--This causes small,and probably
harmless denting on the primer.
So as a matter of course I always clean first
Old December 12, 1999, 11:31 AM   #8
flatlander

I load 45 ACP, 38 Super, and 9mm on my Dillon presses, with carbide dies, without lube, and always tumble first. Whether you use corncob media or walnut hulls, I don't think you're going to get any appreciable amount of cleaning done in the primer pocket by tumbling after decapping. When I load rifle ammo, of course I have to use lube, so I tumble first, lube, size, then tumble again to get the lube off. Then I have to inspect each case for media in the flash hole.
Old December 13, 1999, 01:19 PM   #9
jtduncan

Once in a blue moon when I know the primer pockets need it. Shouldn't affect accuracy.

------------------

The Seattle Shooter

Old December 13, 1999, 02:52 PM   #10
Bill Hebert

If your brass has touched the ground, or has been a container that had sand or dirt in it, then I'd recommend cleaning before using a depriming/sizing die. If you have a depriming tool only (does not size the brass at the same time) then I suggest pop the primer first, tumble, size, then tumble to get lube off the brass(if bottle neck brass). I'm a single-stage reloader, and believe the "extra" steps gives a greater chance of finding stress cracks/defects in the brass. I'm in no big hurry and am perfectly happy to reload 200 rounds/night in my workshop. Examining each step of the reloading process is a step for safty in my opinion. I know several guys who "load up" the machine and a finished round drops out of the "back" of the press with each crank of the handle. I guess this is one of those things about reloading that you need to find what your needs are and what you're comfortable with. Best of luck and may your future hold many thousand-box primer purchases.
Old December 13, 1999, 10:14 PM   #11
paull

Always tumble pistol brass before the deprime/resize stage of progressive reloading to save your dies from undue wear. In the case of necked cases, you will tumble again to remove the lube from the cases, but again, I would always tumble first.
paull