The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 1999, 02:27 PM   #1
vince weng

I am wondering the lifetime for a 12ga cylinder barrel. How many rounds can go thru it for normal use. I was told that the cylinder barrel will last much longer than a rifled barrel. Is that ture.
Old October 13, 1999, 05:00 PM   #2
pete80

A new, well manufactured barrel will outlast you.
Old October 14, 1999, 08:36 PM   #3
Hairball

Well, I've got a Mossberg 590 for a few years now, and I've shot thousands of rounds through it. Everything from #9 birdshot to 00 buckshot to rusty nails and broken glass shards... hehehe (bought a reloading press and went crazy)

Havent noticed any damage to the barrel, not even excessive scratches from all the wild loads I've shot through it.

-=Hairball=-
Old October 15, 1999, 04:04 AM   #4
oberkommando

Right on hairball, good to experiment, hkg3 and I Shot full charge of rock salt in his garage at 3/4" piece of plywood. We didnt think it would blow hole completly through, and pit the brick fireplace we used as back stop, so much for cat load or wild kids toliet papering the house, will have to stick with garden hose-at least its still about same bore diameter though a little bit less intimidating.
Old October 16, 1999, 01:56 AM   #5
Wallew

I handle 1897's all the time with the original barrel that are still quite functional. Hope that answers question.